Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

I don't see this as a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most people think there are few if any gay people here.
Of course not! There are no gay people...just gay tendencies!!

I'm j/k of course.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
I think it depends on the city. Where I live, the LGBT community is completely segregated and underground. Why? The culture here is extremely homophobic and anti-gay. Sexual orientation is a taboo topic to discuss in mixed company. There is even frequent physical assaults against openly gay people so people have to keep it to themselves. They can be themselves in the gayborhood and in gay bars (which is in an area of town where nobody ever goes, with minimal signage as to not draw attention). There actually is a sizable gay community here, but you wouldn't know it unless you were a part of it. Most people think there are few if any gay people here.
What the hell city is that?!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
I think it depends on the city. Where I live, the LGBT community is completely segregated and underground. Why? The culture here is extremely homophobic and anti-gay. Sexual orientation is a taboo topic to discuss in mixed company. There is even frequent physical assaults against openly gay people so people have to keep it to themselves. They can be themselves in the gayborhood and in gay bars (which is in an area of town where nobody ever goes, with minimal signage as to not draw attention). There actually is a sizable gay community here, but you wouldn't know it unless you were a part of it. Most people think there are few if any gay people here.
Nep he's from Oklahoma City and that is a blatant hyperbole or flat out lie. In 2015 people are so numb to gays, openly gay people rarely get noticed even in rural areas. That's not to say there aren't challenges to work past and overcome. There is no major city in this country that doesn't have some form of gay community. I've spent time in OKC and have been to some of the gay bars, I NEVER felt unsafe or ostracized as an openly gay man. Even when I lived in Paducah Kentucky which is a fraction the size, and far more back woods than OKC I was impressed with how laid back the residents were.

bawac: OKC is a rising city and your narrative seems more like a hit piece on areas with conservative reputations. As someone who comes from a place with one of these unfair reputations I take offense to this. Be real or don't contribute, I know you hate where you live but to make this claim is borderline posting at best.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
According to Wikipedia New York, LA, Chicago, SF, and Phoenix have the largest LGBT communities in absolute number and SF, Seattle, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Boston have the largest LGBT communities per capita, but bigger does not always mean better.

What city has the most close-knit LGBT community?

Are there any cities that lack a sense of community despite having many LGBT people?

Are there any smaller cities that are often overlooked?

Consider:
Thriving gayborhood(s)
Visible LGBT-owned businesses
Visible LGBT political groups
LGBT political groups focused on non-LGBT issues too
LGBT-friendly places of worship
Access to healthcare
Bars that are engaged with their communities
Numerous social groups (bowling leagues, book clubs, softball)
Numerous community events (parades, street fairs, rodeos, roller derbies)
Community publications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States
Being a middle-aged gay male who has lived in South Florida (native) and DC, Philly, Durham/Chapel Hill NC and NYC along with travel to other cities I have experienced not only the varying differences but the evolution from gayborhoods to a more integrated existence with the rest of society. Gayborhoods largely emerged in the 1970s as safe havens for the LGBT community and most always in parts of a city that most wouldn't want to ever live in, let alone set foot in. They became communities as homes were collectively renovated and businesses popped up catering to residents. With a higher than average level of disposable income these areas began to thrive from the perspective of successful well-supported businesses and massive accumulation of home equity as property values soared. The camaraderie is such neighborhoods was quite evident and to a large extent vanished as acceptance of the LGBT population within the general population over the past couple of decades has led to assimilation into "regular neighborhoods" pretty much everywhere. There are still a few places where one can find a semblance of still thriving gayborhoods in cities like Chicago, LA/West Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale/Wilton Manors and San Francisco. Cities with engaged social groups and community events tend more toward the medium-sized cities and where bar culture doesn't dictate the social calendar. There are a good many places like that such as the Raleigh-Durham metro in NC.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Where on earth do you live!? Definitely need to make sure I avoid it.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:46 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Nep he's from Oklahoma City and that is a blatant hyperbole or flat out lie. In 2015 people are so numb to gays, openly gay people rarely get noticed even in rural areas. That's not to say there aren't challenges to work past and overcome. There is no major city in this country that doesn't have some form of gay community. I've spent time in OKC and have been to some of the gay bars, I NEVER felt unsafe or ostracized as an openly gay man. Even when I lived in Paducah Kentucky which is a fraction the size, and far more back woods than OKC I was impressed with how laid back the residents were.

bawac: OKC is a rising city and your narrative seems more like a hit piece on areas with conservative reputations. As someone who comes from a place with one of these unfair reputations I take offense to this. Be real or don't contribute, I know you hate where you live but to make this claim is borderline posting at best.
I've been to OKC, and as a gay man, I found it to be very accepting and welcoming.

However, I did hear some comments that, while not hateful, did seem a little naive.

I was talking to one man who said, "I don't have a problem gay people. To me, gay couples are just like straight couples: in every relationship there needs to be a man and there needs to be a woman. That way everyone knows what they're supposed to do."

Another man said, "I don't have a problem with lesbians fighting the army. Some lesbians are more men than most men are."

In fact, I think whenever a new acquaintance found out I was gay, the response was always, "I don't have a problem with gay people..."

The fact that people kept on needing to reassure themselves that they're not bigoted implies that there may be some tensions still bubbling beneath the surface. Perhaps there's still some bad homophobia in OKC that isn't apparent to a typical visitor.

For the record, I've only been called a f----t twice in my life. Both instances were in Syracuse, New York, a blue state.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
With that said, I don't believe ANY city really has a close knit LGBT community. It's the same dynamic everywhere, really.
Yes, unfortunately, we just don't know how to do close-knit in America, anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As a gay guy myself, I avoid gay culture and gay neighborhoods. Not because I'm against them, but rather because they don't appeal to me. I also don't believe that gays should congregate and segregate themselves from the rest of society. That's not good for integration efforts, nationwide.
Yep, I feel similarly. I don't deliberately avoid such areas, but I don't find them all that appealing, either. It might sound strange, but too many gay men in one place gets annoying after a while.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Does anyone think that the progress made in the fight against HIV and the lessening of the fear and stigma surrounding it since the hysteria of the early 80s has contributed to the decline of the traditional gay neighborhood in America? It would seem to me that the idea of the safe haven neighborhood really peaked when it was needed most: when the coming/being together was a matter of survival and safety.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Really surprised to see Phoenix one this list. Phoenix is certainly lacking in gay culture, I wouldn't even say Phoenix has a gay culture to be honest, except for the Roosevelt neighborhood and that's becoming gayer by the day, downtown has a gay bar or two and Scottsdale only has one that I can think of. You'd think that having the 5th largest gay community in the country city proper that there would be more of a gay community/culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.