Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:15 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well said. AZ summers are more "comfy" than Dallas summers.
Not if you're someone who prefers humidity.

As it was already stated, both places are terribly hot, but I'd rather be in the place that has more trees, rain and clouds to block out the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 07:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Just stop with summer heat thing. They're both terrible and nearly unbearable. Being outside at midday is just awful. And I've lived in both for years. I'd rather put up with a hot summer than a cold winter, though.

Winter is better in AZ than TX by far.
False; if you go along the southern areas of Texas, along the Rio Grande, to cities like McAllen, Brownsville, Harlingen, South Padre, etc, you will find near-tropical climates, far warmer than anything in Arizona. South Padre Island is one of the few places in the US where coconut palms can be grown outdoors to reasonable health.

Other areas in the Southern half of Texas, including San Antonio, and Austin, are quite comparable to southern Arizona during winter, as are the coastal areas of the state, including Houston and Corpus Christi.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

As it was already stated, both places are terribly hot, but I'd rather be in the place that has more trees, rain and clouds to block out the sun.
I'd say June and the first half of July are the stereotypical Arizona summers but the last half of July and August give or take is monsoon season, which is constant overcast and storms and an increase in humidity. It's where we get most of our annual precipitation. I personally like monsoon season more than June here, there is usually a constant "blow dryer" type of breeze that is oddly more cooling than still air, and the clouds do make a huge difference.

One good thing about dry heat is that being in the sun vs. being in the shade makes a DRAMATIC difference in temperature. It's even more dramatic in night vs. day. If you are locating to Phoenix or Tucson (and not in the boonies of the desert) shade is pretty easy to find, but it still isn't cool (just extremely more tolerable). In dry heat the sun and only the sun is the true enemy, whereas humid areas have the humidity and the sun working together against you.

Also with dry weather you will see much greater temperature variations. Here in the low desert in the winters it is common for temperatures to go below freezing (or very close to) but since our winters are so dry it doesn't do any harm. But highs will still be in the 70s. I don't see as much variation in temperatures in the eastern half.

But it is definitely a preference I 100% agree. I'm acclimated to dry weather and to me Texas would be absolutely horrid for weather but OP lives in Texas so they will probably do much better in Texas weather-wise than Arizona. But for better or for worse Texas is a lot different than Arizona (except El Paso).

And Arizona does have a lot of call centers for some reason...

Old 12-12-2015, 02:41 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Here is the thing though, Dallas and Phoenix are both car centered cities. People are usually not out walking from place to place on a daily basis, especially in the summer. Although yes PHX summer is unbearably hot, as is Dallas, most people really avoid it by always being in their overly air conditioned homes or cars. So although yes, a multitude of trees and rain would be nice to counteract the sun, but at the end of the day the difference is slim.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Here is the thing though, Dallas and Phoenix are both car centered cities. People are usually not out walking from place to place on a daily basis, especially in the summer. Although yes PHX summer is unbearably hot, as is Dallas, most people really avoid it by always being in their overly air conditioned homes or cars. So although yes, a multitude of trees and rain would be nice to counteract the sun, but at the end of the day the difference is slim.
Not for me, it isn't. Living in Phoenix still means living in the desert, which I refuse to do.

And both metros are generally autocentric, but Dallas has more options for a car free lifestyle in its core.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisMrs0107 View Post
Trying to relocate and cant decide which would be best for my family. im a chicago native, 32, blk and married with kids. Im currently in Arkansas and dont like it, actually hate it. Ill be seeking a position as a call canter rep but going to school to be a therapist. Seeking affording housing, good jobs, good schools and overall a relaxed environment. I dont mind the heat but trying to avoid icy roads like i currently have in the winter. Dont need to be a socialite but i am looking for a place with a abundance of family friendly activities like bowling, go karts, water parks etc. Any information provided is greatly appreciated.
For what it's worth, Arkansas isn't that far from Texas.

Go to Arizona.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Just stop with summer heat thing. They're both terrible and nearly unbearable. Being outside at midday is just awful. And I've lived in both for years. I'd rather put up with a hot summer than a cold winter, though.

Winter is better in AZ than TX by far.
Sheeze, WHERE in Texas are you talking about? Texas is a huge state with a very wide range of "types of winter."

Old 12-12-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
In what way is Texas culture like New Mexico culture? I see almost no real similarities. Plus "Texas culture" varies between the major cities.
Right - the cultures of Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth seem nothing like New Mexico culture to me. The further east you go in Texas the more southern, as in Deep South, it feels - mixed in with a hefty dose of Texican for some CALIENTE flavoring!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:47 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sheeze, WHERE in Texas are you talking about? Texas is a huge state with a very wide range of "types of winter."
It's his contention that East Texas has the same weather as West Texas lol

Old 12-12-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
For what it's worth, Arkansas isn't that far from Texas.

Go to Arizona.
It's 734 miles as the crow flies from El Paso to Texarkana.

Just a reminder of distances when we talk about Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.