Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texarkana isn't a "typical" Texas OR Arkansas locale - it's literally straddling the border of the two states so it's not a fair comparison when discussing the difference between towns in Arkansas or towns in Texas.
Right, but I also mentioned Marshall and Atlanta, which I also don't see any overwhelmingly Texan qualities in.

Now, if someone wanted to say that Tyler is unmistakably Texan, I won't argue against that, but the other towns I referenced could easily be in southern Arkansas or North Louisiana.

The same goes further south in the Golden Triangle. There isn't much that distinguishes us from SWLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Right, but I also mentioned Marshall and Atlanta, which I also don't see any overwhelmingly Texan qualities in.

Now, if someone wanted to say that Tyler is unmistakably Texan, I won't argue against that, but the other towns I referenced could easily be in southern Arkansas or North Louisiana.

The same goes further south in the Golden Triangle. There isn't much that distinguishes us from SWLA
OK, whatever you say. I'm not going to argue about state differences in border towns.

Hook 'em, horns.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
It's his contention that East Texas has the same weather as West Texas lol

I don't think you realize that you're talking to a native Texan.

Quote:
It's 734 miles as the crow flies from El Paso to Texarkana.

Just a reminder of distances when we talk about Texas.
And I've driven the full distance of I-20 plus I-10 out to El Paso. I understand the breadth of Texas.

I will clarify and say that with the exception of South and Southeast Texas, Phoenix has the edge in winter weather. West Texas and the panhandle get pretty cold. Dallas and East Texas is completely unpredictable. Houston is a little warmer than Phoenix, but Phoenix has more sunny days. There's a reason that so many snowbirds migrate from the Midwest to Tucson and Phoenix. Houston does have good weather though.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

And I've driven the full distance of I-20 plus I-10 out to El Paso. I understand the breadth of Texas.
And I wasn't responding to your post but thanks for playing!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Of course there are some similarities ON THE BORDER between any two states.

But the further you drive from that border, the fewer the similarities. Even fifty miles in either direction makes a significant difference. And I have pointed out several times that one can LITERALLY tell the difference between the two states immediately because the upkeep of the roads is significantly better in Texas than it is in Arkansas (and Louisiana for that matter), so the very second you cross that border in your car you can feel and hear that you're in a different state.

I'm not a native Texan, but I've lived here for over 25 years - and one of my ancestors fought in the battle of Goliad, so that earns me a few more Texas points - LOL! I actually like the colors purple and gold more than either burnt orange or burgundy.
This is very true. We have family in Southern Arkansas (unfortunately) but closer to Mississippi and we went through Henderson, Carthage, and other East Texas towns into Louisiana. About five miles into Louisiana, you can tell you are definitely in a different state due to the upkeep of the roads. We always use to joke around when we tried to figure out where we are without seeing a sign telling us that once we hear the sound of the road, we know we in Louisiana and it never failed. Then you get in Louisiana and you can't drive on the shoulder to let anyone pass you like you can in Texas. You can't do it in Arkansas either.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
There's a reason that so many snowbirds migrate from the Midwest to Tucson and Phoenix. Houston does have good weather though.
They migrate here mainly from the NW and Canada in winter. There are a lot of Midwesterners and NE's, too, that are snowbirds of course, but the majority I run into are Canadian and PacNW'ers.

There are also a TON of ex-Texans here as well, who moved here for better weather.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM

Interesting info on population increases by state and general info about who is moving to and from states and from where.

Arizona ranks fifth in annual population increase | Arizona Capitol Times

California exodus as thousands quit state for Texas, Ariz., elsewhere - U.S. News

Moving out: See which 20 states people most want to leave | Deseret News

Population increase since 2010 - Arizona 5 percent, Texas 7 percent. I'm just sayin'. However, both states are above the national average of 3 percent.
Arizona QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
QuickFacts

Old 12-15-2015, 02:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
They migrate here mainly from the NW and Canada in winter. There are a lot of Midwesterners and NE's, too, that are snowbirds of course, but the majority I run into are Canadian and PacNW'ers.

There are also a TON of ex-Texans here as well, who moved here for better weather.
I agree on Texans. Most of them that I know are from the Houston and San Antonio areas.

I usually see Midwesterners from Michigan/Wisconsin/Illinois etc. and Canadians... And a surprisingly large amount of Alaskans.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I agree on Texans. Most of them that I know are from the Houston and San Antonio areas.

I usually see Midwesterners from Michigan/Wisconsin/Illinois etc. and Canadians... And a surprisingly large amount of Alaskans.

Hey, guess what - I meet lots of people who used to live in Arizona right here in Texas. Imagine that!

Look, both are great states in their own right. They're different. They will appeal to different people. And that's OK too. They are both growing faster than the national average.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
I would say that you would have more choice in Texas than Arizona.

I live in Arizona. The only non-icy cities here are Tucson and Phoenix. So you would have a lot more urban areas to choose from in Texas, to find the right match. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and on and on.

A lot of people live in Arizona because of the recreational opportunities in the desert and the mountains. But it sounds like that isn't what you're looking for exactly. And even if it is, Texas has the Gulf of Mexico, which might appeal to you more than the mountains. To get to the coast from Arizona, you have to drive to Rocky Point, Mexico, or San Diego. Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.