Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:44 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I agree on Texans. Most of them that I know are from the Houston and San Antonio areas.

I usually see Midwesterners from Michigan/Wisconsin/Illinois etc. and Canadians... And a surprisingly large amount of Alaskans.
Yes! Lots of AK plates running around town, specifically during winter. I see TX plates every 5-10 minutes out here. Theyre everywhere! Those plain Jane black and white plates stick out from a mile away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Yeah I know what you mean - those cactus/desert license plates from Arizona stick out like sore thumbs all over the place around here.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah I know what you mean - those cactus/desert license plates from Arizona stick out like sore thumbs all over the place around here.
I think we just got ourselves a set of haters here.

I'm sure those select few Texans going to Arizona don't even begin to match the numbers of people moving in the opposite direction.

...and contrary to what their cousin's best friend's fiancee's stepbrother says, most people that I have known to move to Texas end up loving it.

Do they celebrate MLK day in Arizona yet?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yes! Lots of AK plates running around town, specifically during winter. I see TX plates every 5-10 minutes out here. Theyre everywhere! Those plain Jane black and white plates stick out from a mile away.
I know about 5 families who have moved here from Houston area itself.
I see Texas, California, Nevada, Michigan, and Illinois license plates out here all the time. All you have to do is drive down Scottsdale Road and you will see a multitude.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course they do... Our license plates are very colorful I think New Mexico has the most noticeable license plates though because of the yellow.

To be fair we are not that far away. Tucson is about 5 or 6 hours to El Paso... and ironically, six hours to Los Angeles. All are just a drive away on the I-10. Actually just took the drive from Tucson to Phoenix today, took about an hour and fifteen. The I-10 is a piece of cake

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello_Blent View Post
I think your best bet would be to just spend the extra money and move to California or another coastal state instead of going back and forth between Arizona and Texas, which will both only be a slight upgrade from Arkansas. A lot of my peers from undergrad who stayed in Arizona or ended up in Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas wished they had done just that.

Those low-cost states leave a lot to be desired in terms of educational, professional, cultural and (save Arizona) outdoor recreational opportunities. Plus, the weather sucks in all of those states.

In essence, you get what you pay for.
Lots of people don't like California for many reasons. I grew up visiting Southern California often, in both San Diego and Los Angeles. While the beaches are nice, I felt like the cities equally left something to be desired, especially San Diego. Los Angeles was slightly better, but the traffic and the prices I saw for everything in stores, gas stations, etc. made me not enjoy it nearly as much. As far as SoCal goes, the only thing I like is the beach. The rest of what SoCal has I can get here for so much less. I have never been in the northern part of California so I don't know what that's like.

Odds are if OP is looking at Arizona and Texas... California has already been crossed off the list. It's one of the biggest and most well-known states, with many big cities. Believe me, if people think about relocation, California has been through their mind at least once.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,344,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Texas net domestic migration per year is +154,467

Arizona net domestic migration per year is +41,975

Chances are we have more AZ plates here than TX plates in AZ.

Since CA keeps getting mentioned the net domestic migration is -32,090.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Texas net domestic migration per year is +154,467

Arizona net domestic migration per year is +41,975

Chances are we have more AZ plates here than TX plates in AZ.

Texas net domestic migration per year is +154,467 or .351% increase

Arizona net domestic migration per year is +41,975 or .626% increase.

There fixed it for you

Lets not forget Texas has 3 times the land and more than 4 times the population.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Texas net domestic migration per year is +154,467 or .351% increase

Arizona net domestic migration per year is +41,975 or .626% increase.

There fixed it for you

Lets not forget Texas has 3 times the land and more than 4 times the population.
It doesn't matter. You still have more people choosing Texas over Arizona, just like more people are choosing Texas over California, which is larger.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:59 PM

8,611 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It doesn't matter. You still have more people choosing Texas over Arizona, just like more people are choosing Texas over California, which is larger.
What a ridiculous comparison - apples and oranges. The size of TX is 268,830 sq. miles while AZ is 113,998. In addition, (as of 2014), the current population of TX is 26.96 million, while AZ is 6.731 million. Of course more people are going to move to TX considering there are several more established metro areas (and opportunities that go along with those metros) than in AZ. Considering the much lower COL for cities in both states, it would make sense as to why people are choosing to move to these places over California, not exclusively because they are "better overall".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.