Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,097 times

Advertisements

Trying to relocate and cant decide which would be best for my family. im a chicago native, 32, blk and married with kids. Im currently in Arkansas and dont like it, actually hate it. Ill be seeking a position as a call canter rep but going to school to be a therapist. Seeking affording housing, good jobs, good schools and overall a relaxed environment. I dont mind the heat but trying to avoid icy roads like i currently have in the winter. Dont need to be a socialite but i am looking for a place with a abundance of family friendly activities like bowling, go karts, water parks etc. Any information provided is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:47 PM

373 posts, read 367,818 times
Well Dallas has Ice and gets a little snow.

Arizona is just stupid hot.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
Well Dallas has Ice and gets a little snow.

Arizona is just stupid hot.
^ You are equating all of Arizona to Phoenix. North Arizona snows more than Texas and is home to the eight snowiest city in the Continental USA(Flagstaff), with it snowing over 100 inches per year in city proper. Phoenix is only hot from end of may to End of September. On my way to New Orleans I flew into Dallas for a day and I have family in Texas. The humidity and heat of Dallas surpasses that of the dry heat in Phoenix in my opinion(I believe it was 115 plus humidity..talk about HOT!).

But to answer the OP's question...it sounds like you would do just fine in any of the two states, just depends what type of topography you like to be around. AZ is full of mountains and that's a totally different ballpark then where you have previously lived from what it sounds.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:12 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
^ You are equating all of Arizona to Phoenix. North Arizona snows more than Texas and is home to the eight snowiest city in the Continental USA(Flagstaff), with it snowing over 100 inches per year in city proper. Phoenix is only hot from end of may to End of September. On my way to New Orleans I flew into Dallas for a day and I have family in Texas. The humidity and heat of Dallas surpasses that of the dry heat in Phoenix in my opinion(I believe it was 115 plus humidity..talk about HOT!).
Actually, I believe Phoenix regularly records higher heat indices than any city in Texas.

And "115 plus humidity" doesn't really happen. Any time the actual temperature gets up into the triple digits it's due to a dry air mass that usually comes from deserts further west.

A typical summer day in Texas is where the high gets to about 95 degrees, but the moisture in the air may bring the heat index above 100.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
The humidity and heat of Dallas surpasses that of the dry heat in Phoenix in my opinion(I believe it was 115 plus humidity..talk about HOT!).
Uhhhhh, no. Just no.

To the OP... TX would probably suit you best, as there are more job options, cheaper COL, and better schools than in AZ. Plus TX has the advantage of more cities to choose from. In AZ you basically have PHX and Tucson for big metro areas, and thats it. Northern AZ would be far too cold and snowy for you.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 PM

515 posts, read 558,087 times
Quote:

But to answer the OP's question...it sounds like you would do just fine in any of the two states, just depends what type of topography you like to be around. AZ is full of mountains and that's a totally different ballpark then where you have previously lived from what it sounds.
Wow! I guess that would make you at least 130 years old!!
The hottest temp on record is 113, and they started recording high temps in 1899. You must be a wizard or something....
https://dallas-tx.knoji.com/10-allti...ays-in-dallas/

Old 12-10-2015, 12:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Why these two states OP? Anything wrong with California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 PM

218 posts, read 342,367 times
Texas has more variety in terms of population centers. It has Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus Cristi. And Texas has more racial diversity as well,all different types of whites, large numbers of Black Americans and mexicans, and smaller numbers of Puerto Ricans and Cuban, African, and Central American immigrants.
Arizona is really just Phoenix and Tucson, mexicans, whites and native americans thats it.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Actually, I believe Phoenix regularly records higher heat indices than any city in Texas.

And "115 plus humidity" doesn't really happen. Any time the actual temperature gets up into the triple digits it's due to a dry air mass that usually comes from deserts further west.

A typical summer day in Texas is where the high gets to about 95 degrees, but the moisture in the air may bring the heat index above 100.
Oh no Phoenix does have higher summer temps than probably most US cities, I'm not going to say that it doesn't. When I was in Texas though it was around 107 I believe but it really did feel like 115 due to the humidity(least I thought it was humid). I was just trying to make a point to Blackgem that it's kind of comical to say one reason they should choose Dallas was because of how hot it was in Arizona compared to Dallas when Texas summers are no joke, hot is hot.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:07 AM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
Arizona is too left. Texas is wingnut right.
Shoot for the middle:NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.