Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I am about to graduate college and I am trying to find some places I would like to relocate to so I have an idea of where I want to job hunt. I am a life-long Arizona native, and the desert is just too hot for me, outside of the heat I do like it here. I'm hoping to find a place that combines what I like about Arizona and what I like about other places in the U.S. Unfortunately I'm not as well-travelled as I would like to be so I would like some suggestions.

- A laid-back place versus a "rat race" city (For this very reason I prefer Tucson more than Phoenix, even though Phoenix is still pretty laid-back. And it was for this very reason I have disliked D.C. and NYC)
- No oppressive gun regulation
- Lower tax burden (no income tax would be preferable, but if there is one, it should be a lower rate. I prefer being taxed elsewhere)
- Close to rivers and lakes for water activities like kayaking and white water rafting, an ocean would also be cool but not required.
- Being near mountains for camping, skiing, yada yada.
- The most important requirement is that it is colder. For dry weather I would prefer summer highs to be 70-80 degrees though low 90s would also be acceptable. For humid weather I would probably need to get into 70s and 60s (this is based on May in NYC which was in the low 70s and I enjoyed it very much) for summer highs as I cannot even tolerate 90s without feeling like I'm sweating to death. I don't care where winter temperatures are. I also would like four seasons but I have lived more than 20 years without it and I can continue to do so.
- A big city. Tucson is roughly 1 million in the metro and I would like more than that. But this figure can be adjusted if there are a lot of other young single adults in the area (20s-30s) particularly men.

I have looked at Albuquerque but it may be too similar to home if that makes any sense. SLC is also on my mind and I have looked at Denver but I'm worried that Colorado may be going through a lot of "Californization" and I want nothing to do with that. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
ABQ is quite similar to Tucson in many ways except climate. Have you thought about MT or maybe WY?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Denver or Salt Lake City, just like you mentioned...although coming from Tucson, you might find SLC to be too small. But honestly, there aren't many cities with your requirements. You could look into Seattle. Otherwise, be prepared to compromise on something.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
ABQ is quite similar to Tucson in many ways except climate. Have you thought about MT or maybe WY?
Those states are almost ideal, but I worry about finding jobs in these states.

ABQ does appear to be similar to here... If Breaking Bad is at least somewhat accurate that show had way too many similarities to my real life, it was strange. Outside of the meth of course.

Doesn't it snow in ABQ? What is the snow like?

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 12-12-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Denver or Salt Lake City, just like you mentioned...although coming from Tucson, you might find SLC to be too small. But honestly, there aren't many cities with your requirements. You could look into Seattle. Otherwise, be prepared to compromise on something.
I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to find a place that marked everything on the list. It would be too good to be true. But it was worth a shot.

Are there some rivers near Denver/SLC/ABQ that are great for white water rafting and kayaking? The closest I can think of in the nearby region is the Grand Canyon and while that arguably may be one of the best locations in the world (because it's in the Grand Canyon) it's ridiculously expensive and more options would be better.

Is there nothing out east that comes close? I have looked at New Hampshire but I don't know if it's right for me since I'm not familiar with that region of the U.S...

Old 12-12-2015, 09:36 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Those states are almost ideal, but I worry about finding jobs in these states.

ABQ does appear to be similar to here... If Breaking Bad is at least somewhat accurate that show had way too many similarities to my real life, it was strange. Outside of the meth of course.

Doesn't it snow in ABQ? What is the snow like?
Its not completely accurate. Too many white actors.

Yeah it snows here, already has this year (it's snowing right now actually), usually only one or two 'big' snowstorms a year. Most of the time it hits the ground and evaporates. Last year there was a pretty big one, This year is supposed to be an even bigger one thanks to El Niño. But for around 8 months of the year, the Sandias are capped with snow, and in the deep shaded gullies on the mountain it sometimes lasts until the next winter (though rarely).

Quote:
Are there some rivers near Denver/SLC/ABQ that are great for white water rafting and kayaking? The closest I can think of in the nearby region is the Grand Canyon and while that arguably may be one of the best locations in the world (because it's in the Grand Canyon) it's ridiculously expensive and more options would be better.
Indeed the Rio Grande is a top whitewater rafting destination, as was the Animas, and I think there might be rafting on the Chama. The Pecos is 'Wild and Scenic' but Idk if you can raft there or not. Not sure about the Gila, I think that one might be too small but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by kehkou; 12-12-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Boise, Idaho

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Boise, Idaho
I will definitely look into there as well.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Its not completely accurate. Too many white actors.

Yeah it snows here, already has this year (it's snowing right now actually), usually only one or two 'big' snowstorms a year. Most of the time it hits the ground and evaporates. Last year there was a pretty big one, This year is supposed to be an even bigger one thanks to El Niño. But for around 8 months of the year, the Sandias are capped with snow, and in the deep shaded gullies on the mountain it sometimes lasts until the next winter (though rarely).

Indeed the Rio Grande is a top whitewater rafting destination, as was the Animas, and I think there might be rafting on the Chama. The Pecos is 'Wild and Scenic' but Idk if you can raft there or not. Not sure about the Gila, I think that one might be too small but don't quote me on that.
New Mexico appears to have more options in the things I like compared to Arizona. But ABQ is probably the closest city to Tucson and I'm not sure if I want another Tucson. I mean of course there are differences but they are probably the most comparable with almost similar population, similar geography (at the base of big mountains), somewhat similar culture from what I can tell (and of course they are both in the Southwest so culture cannot be too different). It would be different if ABQ was more on the same tier as Phoenix... but to be fair ABQ is better than Tucson in a lot of ways from what I can tell.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
New Mexico appears to have more options in the things I like compared to Arizona. But ABQ is probably the closest city to Tucson and I'm not sure if I want another Tucson. I mean of course there are differences but they are probably the most comparable with almost similar population, similar geography (at the base of big mountains), somewhat similar culture from what I can tell (and of course they are both in the Southwest so culture cannot be too different). It would be different if ABQ was more on the same tier as Phoenix... but to be fair ABQ is better than Tucson in a lot of ways from what I can tell.
Denver probably has more of what you want minus the strong Southwest culture, but the COL is higher here than New Mexico and may be a limiting factor.

Bigger mountains, more whitewater rafting, more amenities, slightly cooler summertime temps, and more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.