Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Western downtowns different when compared to downtowns in other U.S. regions?
Yes! Definitely. 20 41.67%
No. 9 18.75%
Yes. Somewhat. 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times

Advertisements

I think San Francisco and Seattle have downtowns that resemble the east coast cities. Other than those two, the other cities of the west coast don't have the density or variety of the east coast downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I'd say midwestern and eastern downtowns tend to be older than western downtowns, which can be good and bad. You need some new development, but you need older buildings as well. It kind of adds charm.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Surely. East Coast cities have much more established infrastructure and density than West Coast cities. To those who think cities like Seattle, Portland, Denver, or Phoenix have the density of New York, Chicago, Boston, or Philly (all four of which have a density of 10,000 people/sq. mile) that's just factually wrong. The only West Coast city that would be the exception is San Francisco. If there was a comparison, most Western and Southern cities (Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas) have similar downtown density, whereas Midwestern (St. Louis, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Detroit) cities have developed much closer to the Northeastern urban model.
Seattle is more dense than Minny, Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Portland, Charlotte etc.....While it may not be quite as urban as the northeastern heavyweights, it is not some sunbelt sprawler. San Francisco has the densest residential tract outside of Manhattan, so I am not sure why you are blowing these two cities off?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
City of San Francisco's #1 industry is tourism. SF's downtown is mostly banks and finance.
Uhh...and law and consulting and accounting etc. San Francisco is the center of finance and corporate law on the westcoast.

And last time I checked, all of these were "industries." Otherwise, downtown Manhattan would also be lacking an industry.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Uhh...and law and consulting and accounting etc. San Francisco is the center of finance and corporate law on the westcoast.

And last time I checked, all of these were "industries." Otherwise, downtown Manhattan would also be lacking an industry.
That doesn't make it the economic powerhouse of the region.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
That doesn't make it the economic powerhouse of the region.
It is clearly the financial capital of the west.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
It is clearly the financial capital of the west.
I'd say it's diminishing, though, and has been so for quite a while unfortunately... it's not what it used to be in terms of THE city of the West Coast.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Seattle is more dense than Minny, Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Portland, Charlotte etc.....While it may not be quite as urban as the northeastern heavyweights, it is not some sunbelt sprawler. San Francisco has the densest residential tract outside of Manhattan, so I am not sure why you are blowing these two cities off?
I noted in my post that San Francisco was an exception. Seattle, too, comes closer than most Western cities, but I was trying to emphasize that San Francisco was the most on par in density to Northeastern cities.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
There's really no way to generalize "western" downtowns. Denver and Phoenix are both cities in the west, and their downtowns couldn't be more different. One of these cities has a downtown that kicks ass, and the other one has a downtown that is a pathetic joke. Care to guess which is which?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM

172 posts, read 252,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There's really no way to generalize "western" downtowns. Denver and Phoenix are both cities in the west, and their downtowns couldn't be more different. One of these cities has a downtown that kicks ass, and the other one has a downtown that is a pathetic joke. Care to guess which is which?
Agreed, Denver and San Francisco are both cities in the west, one of these cities has a world class downtown known the world over and the other is a pathetic joke. Care to guess which is which ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.