Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the most well-ballanced state of the U.S.?
Yes 13 18.84%
No 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We had a teacher in the town I grew up in that had visited every state in the United States. This is what she did with her Summers. She told her class that she had never visited a place she would prefer to live more than where she lived in our small town. I am purposely not telling you what that town is, so it will not be overrun with transplants.
North Carolina has mountians, piedmont and coastal plains. There are one hundred counties with at least one small town in each and usually there are two or three towns. The balance between urban and rural is just about 50/50. I saw that published somewhere. Most of the natives are pretty well balanced. LOL
Lots of people cannot imagining living anywhere but their home town, but that is purely subjective, and it has nothing to do with "balance".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
All of NC will be covered with strip mall sprawl and subdivisions by 2020.

Print it.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
growth map of North Carolina from year 2010 to 2020

http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prog32.gif (broken link) (broken link)

click on map for expected growth by county.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Believe me - I am a native North Carolinian and we wish people would quit touting how great it is here. It ain't that great these days b/c we have had this huge influx of transplants. Our taxes are going up and in a few years, they will be as high as the places people are fleeing from.

We call it the Great Northeast Migration . . . and we are pretty worn out w/ it here. People are coming here w/o jobs and the situations are not good.

So anyone who is thinking about moving here . . . please have a job first. Our infrastructures are being strained. We are not recruiting anyone to this state. We would just as soon everyone stay where they are, LOL, unless they are moving here w/ a job or to establish a business.
Well, your thread could get people to not move there. I've always heard that people in NC are nice. That is why I was thinking of moving there with my two children, to give us all better opportunity than we have where we are. But, honestly, your negative attitude towards people that move there really saddens me.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
How long do you give it before NC starts to balance out in population growth? I mean the state and cities like Charlotte and Raleigh are already experiencing major problems with this growth. I hope the rumor that NC becomes another Florida isn't true. NC doesn't need those problems.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
NC is becoming so "important" because Yankee transplants realize they can get "big cheap houses", "low taxes", and "nice weather." Essentially NC is the "New Florida," and it will likely start to collapse in on itself in another decade or so if current growth trajectories continue while water supplies continue to dwindle. Aren't there more important things to life than "big cheap houses?" If you go on the NJ or NY forums that's all those people rant and rave about. I just don't understand the allure of buying a house that's larger than you need simply because you can.
Oh now ya did it ya gone and told everybody about the big, cheap houses >>only joking

It has to be kept in mind that many new residents are concentrating on a few select areas. NC is a rather large state.
The heavy concentration of these few areas is being pushed and has the growing pains to show for it alright. Will this cause the whole state to collapse? No. Will we be having growing pains in these few concentrated areas for a while to come yet? Yes, I believe we sure will.
Are people discovering areas outside these heavy transplanted areas? Oh sure. But their seems to be a negative misconception on a broad scale about areas other than Raleigh, Charlotte etc. which is being passed on to possible new transplants from recent transplants. And that is allowing these other areas to have a balanced growth without any major repercussions that are being seen within the higly concentrated areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
With a large number of medium sized cities spread across North Carolina with no one city dominating, does this make this state the most well-balanced in the U.S.?
I am not sure if well balanced really can be said one way or another about any state. As so many factors come into play. And each defines their own as to "well balanced".
North Carlolina has always been defined by regions rather than cities. And I would like to see that continue as I do relate to that way giving it a balance.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-09-2008 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: have a fun day everyone :)

Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
How long do you give it before NC starts to balance out in population growth? I mean the state and cities like Charlotte and Raleigh are already experiencing major problems with this growth. I hope the rumor that NC becomes another Florida isn't true. NC doesn't need those problems.

That will not happen look at projected growth map for the next decade same amount of counties that are having higher than the national average equal out in counties that are having population loss. North Carolina is bigger in topography size than florida and Florida most of it center of the state is wet lands.

North Carolina was not a part of the real estate bubble that now is killing the US economy. North Carolina home appreciation has remain at 4 to 6 percent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.