Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I originally lived on the east coast and moved to Seattle a few years ago. I've been working a full-time 9-5 job and am ready to pave my way into a more fulfilling life. I have the opportunity to go just outside Boston with a friend for next-to-nothing while I self-study music/guitar and hustle to make connections. My plan is to get into teaching the guitar for income, connect with non-profit art organizations to volunteer, local instrument stores for partnerships, and the local music scene for gigs once I am confident I can play live and know enough to really offer something valuable to the community. Then I'd like to segue into New York once I've established a footing.

My question is: am I under-estimating the kind of opportunities Seattle has to offer? Am I over-estimating what I might be able to get hold of while being on the east coast? As it is, with the 9-5 living here, I don't make much money, I don't have a lot of time to tackle all of my ambitions and I don't have any skill to segue into the opportunities.

The choice is tough for me because I could imagine staying in Seattle and quitting the 9-5 for a more suitable part-time job, but finding appropriate housing may not be possible. If I kept the 9-5 job, the work makes me miserable and things would take longer but I'd have money and connections without starting from scratch because I have a few connections with the music scene here and from what it sounds like Seattle is generally regarded as a "very accepting, non-judgmental" think-tank when it comes to embracing musical sounds. I'd have an amazing opportunity back east to be outside of "time-and-life" with a full year to embrace study and chase opportunity without being bothered by normal life issues, but is there a musical scene/community there that is as appealing in description as Seattle?

I know nobody can make the decision for me. There's a lot of personal factors that go into making a decision, but I at this point of the decision-making process I think that I need data to chew on. Either way it's a blind-leap and I'm really miserable with the way life is at the moment and I'm willing to "hit the pavement" and struggle to accomplish something.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Good luck! Sorry I don't have much to say but I can tell you that Boston does have good opportunities, particularly with Berklee, and if you have a good living situation that will allow you to pursue those opportunities then it may be really hard to pass up.
Again, good luck!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,649 times
Thank you for replying. I had forgotten all about Berklee -- that makes this opportunity that much more tangible to me. So far there seems like a lot more serious "business" talk when it comes to music in Boston and I wonder if that's a reflection of the esteem surrounding the college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.