Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 07:44 AM

509 posts, read 432,607 times

Advertisements

Despite having been to a majority of states, surprisingly few capitals.

Washington DC
Denver
Baton Rouge
Montgomery
Atlanta
Columbia
Raleigh
Nashville
Richmond
Charleston
Providence
Boston

I hope to see more in my life though!!! I really want to check out Santa Fe, Boise, Madison, Annapolis, Little Rock, and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:54 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Are we counting just visiting the capital city here, or actually going to the capitol building too?

I have visited all 50 states, and visited almost all of the state capital cities except for:
Pierre, SD
Bismark, ND
Dover, DE
Juneau, AK

I have been inside the state capitol building in about 20-25 states. The most recent was Lincoln, NE about 5 years ago. It was a good visit with lots of exhibits inside.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:17 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Alabama- Montgomery
Arizona- Phoenix
Arkansas- Little Rock
Florida- Tallahassee
Georgia- Atlanta
Iowa- Des Moines
Kansas- Topeka
Louisiana- Baton Rouge
Minnesota- St. Paul
Mississippi- Jackson
Ohio- Columbus
Oklahoma- Oklahoma City
Tennessee- Nashville
Texas- Austin

Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default Harrisburg

Only a handful of capitals, and a smaller handful of capitols.

But I did see Pennsylvania's capitol, which is reputed to be the best one.
Those who've seen many -- do you concur?

Old 03-01-2020, 09:48 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Arizona-Phoenix. Rather nondescript, C +
California-Sacramento. Great capitol building, wonderful downtown and old town. A
Colorado-Denver. Love Colfax Boulevard, Cherry Creek area. A
Connecticut-Hartford. Not a lot good going on here. D
Delaware-Dover. Nothing memorable. D
Hawaii-Honolulu. Spent about 5 days here 30 years ago, and I can hardly remember that much, because I was mainly at Waikiki, and touring the remainder of the island.
Illinois-Springfield. Smaller capital, pretty clean. I spent time there twice. Great brewpub there! B-
Indiana-Indianapolis. First class downtown around Market Square. Been here 3 separate times and enjoyed every stay very much. A
Kansas-Topeka. D- Just a very ugly town.
Kentucky-Frankfort. Incomplete. Never lingered around drove through it twice.
Maine-Augusta. D+ Paper mill town. I was there last in about 1998
Massachusetts-Boston. A + My favorite capitol city. One of my favorite US cities, actually
Minnesota- St. Paul A - Great street vibe when I was there many years ago. It was not like its twin city Minneapolis at all with regard to look and feel. Minneapolis was great in its own way as well.
Missouri-Jefferson City. C- I cannot recall one thing about being there, but I have been there before.
New Jersey-Trenton. F The worst of all the state capitols. Nothing redeeming to speak of.
New Mexico-Santa Fe A-. Incredibly charming plaza downtown with architecture and street layout that makes it so unique. I dock it from an A because outside of the plaza and Canyon Road the outskirts are rather ordinary.
New York-Albany C. Hudson River background saves it from a lower mark.
Ohio-Columbus. Incomplete. Even though I have driven through it, I haven't spent enough time to grade.
Oklahoma-Oklahoma City. C- Very similar to Phoenix. Sprawl, rather small central business district that does nothing to distinguish itself from other cities of similar size.
Oregon-Salem. D Very plain downtown. More disappointed in this capitol than almost any other, I was expecting more.
Pennsylvania-Harrisburg. F Very depressing. in line with Trenton for the lowest quality capitol city.
Rhode Island- Incomplete. Even though I have driven through it many times, I cannot make a grade on this city.
Tennessee-Nashville. A Great downtown on Broadway, very entertaining central business district. Loved every minute of my stay here.
Texas-Austin. A See Tennessee. Both Tennessee and Austin have a lot in common with music. Both cities are on a river, and have central business districts that abut the river and offer music.
Virginia-Richmond. B- Great architecture if historical buildings are your passion.
Washington-Olympia. B Would be higher if not for excessive presence of homeless and panhandling, which seemed to be every block.
West Virginia-Charleston. Incomplete. Not enough time spent there to grade.
Wyoming-Cheyenne. D + Other than Frontier Days, nothing notable here. Great plains utilitarian trade center type of town with basic amenities.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:58 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Oregon-Salem. D Very plain downtown. More disappointed in this capitol than almost any other, I was expecting more.
Washington-Olympia. B Would be higher if not for excessive presence of homeless and panhandling, which seemed to be every block.
Very much agree with these. Both cities have okay downtowns but feel a lot smaller than they are. And Olympia has possibly the highest concentration of homeless people I've ever seen, other than Redding CA.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Montgomery, AL
Phoenix, AZ
Little Rock, AR
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA
Springfield, IL
Indianapolis, IN
Baton Rouge, LA
Annapolis, MD
Boston, MA
St. Paul, MN
Jackson, MS
Washington, DC
Santa Fe, NM
Raleigh, NC
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City, OK
Columbia, SC
Nashville, TN
Austin, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Richmond, VA
Charleston, WV

I've spent several days in just about all these in fact. Dang. I'm feeling pretty well traveled!

Old 03-04-2020, 08:10 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
Despite having been to a majority of states, surprisingly few capitals.
I've definitely been to more states than I have capitals. I've visited:

Augusta
Concord
Montpelier
Boston
Albany
Providence
Hartford
Annapolis
Richmond
Raleigh
Atlanta
Nashville
Columbus
Topeka (for the first time on Monday of this week actually)
OKC
Austin
Denver
Boise
Salt Lake City
Phoenix
St. Paul
Sacramento

Old 03-05-2020, 11:53 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Montgomery (Alabama)
Phoenix (Arizona)
Tallahassee (Florida)
Atlanta (Georgia)
Springfield (Illinois)
Indianapolis (Indiana)
Baton Rouge (Louisiana)
Boston (Massachusetts)
Lansing (Michigan)
Jackson (Mississippi)
Raleigh (North Carolina)
Columbus (Ohio)
Oklahoma City (Oklahoma)
Harrisburg (Pennsylvania)
Providence (Rhode Island)
Columbia (South Carolina)
Nashville (Tennessee)
Richmond (Virginia)
Charleston (West Virginia)

Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I've been to and spent good amounts of time in:
Austin
Indianapolis
Nashville
Little Rock
Jackson
Baton Rouge
Denver

Drove thru these State Capitals but did not stop except maybe to get gas and go to the bathroom:
Oklahoma City
Topeka
Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.