Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 130 31.40%
No 284 68.60%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The west coast runs north all the way to Canada. The west coast is not just simply California.
Maybe Im wrong but isnt Oregon and Washington state considered northwest and not necessarily referred to as the west coast? Ive never heard anyone say "Im going to the west coast to Seattle". But "Im going to the pacific northwest to Seattle" seems more applicable. But then again, Ive been wrong before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
If there is no coast, it is not a coastal state.

For example, Vermont is a northeastern state, or a New England state, but not an East Coast state.
not according to this, East coast states:
East Coast of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It also includes land locked Penn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
You should have given up prior to posting this embarassing nonsense about Philadelphia being no more of a coastal city than Phoenix.

Ever heard of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Steve-O ?

Philadelphia Naval Shipyard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol
With all due respect, Pennsylvania does not touch the ocean. So Arizona is very close to the Baja(the Pacific) and is thus really close to the ocean, and if you were to consider Pennsylvania a east coast state then you might as well consider Arizona one. I do not think it is, but by your logic it would indeed be considered a west coast state.
that is a nice Naval shipyard, but may I remind you that is on the Delaware river, not the Atlantic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River
The River stops at Wilmington Delaware...not even in Penn.

Last edited by CMDallas; 02-05-2008 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Las Vegas the west coast???? That would be like saying West Virginia or parts of Ohio are on the east coast... I don't think so...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM

172 posts, read 252,296 times
Quote:
With all due respect, Pennsylvania does not touch the ocean. So Arizona is very close to the Baja(the Pacific) and is thus really close to the ocean, and if you were to consider Pennsylvania a east coast state then you might as well consider Arizona one. I do not think it is, but by your logic it would indeed be considered a west coast state.
that is a nice Naval shipyard, but may I remind you that is on the Delaware river, not the Atlantic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River
The River stops at Wilmington Delaware...not even in Penn.
If you and Steve-O would both like to believe that a state that is the site of the first naval shipyard in the USA is no more coastal than Arizona, with all due respect, knock yourselves out.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I consider Vegas the west coast, because of the fact that NV is a Pacific Time Zone state.

Phoenix...not so much.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 93,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
If you and Steve-O would both like to believe that a state that is the site of the first naval shipyard in the USA is no more coastal than Arizona, with all due respect, knock yourselves out.

LMBO!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
I think the west coast was popularized in the national media during the 90's because of guys like Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, etc....and in a way California became synonomous with "the west coast". The Pacific Northwest is a distinct region of the west coast ( parts of the PNW aren't even on the coast i.e. Idaho), but it is still considered part of the west coast (just like how both Miami and NYC are considered east coast).

I work with people across the country, so when they ask what time zone I am in I respond with "I am on the west coast" (I live in Seattle).

Last edited by toughguy; 02-05-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Patrick, PA is not on the coast. Its nearby the coast, yes, but not a coastal state. For the last time, its a EASTERN state, not a east coast state.

Id also like to know how having a naval shipyard on a freshwater river automatically gives a state coastal status. Let me check something here... Oh hey, look! We have the Great Lakes Naval Station in Glenview, IL, which is technically also on a coast (Lake Michigan's). I guess IL can now be considered a "mid-coast" state??? Is that what you'd call it? lol

Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 PM

172 posts, read 252,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id also like to know how having a naval shipyard on a freshwater river automatically gives a state coastal status. Let me check something here... Oh hey, look! We have the Great Lakes Naval Station in Glenview, IL, which is technically also on a coast (Lake Michigan's). I guess IL can now be considered a "mid-coast" state??? Is that what you'd call it? lol
I wasn't aware that Naval Shipyards and Naval training centers were the same thing ? lol

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
PA, WV and VT are NOT east coast states, theyre EASTERN/NORTH EASTERN states. Places like NY, MA, SC, NC, etc, etc are east coast states. How can you put the word "coast" next to some states that have no coast whatsoever?
I don't really hear people differentiate between an "eastern" states and the "east coast". I guess it depends on how a person defines an area, and no one will ever completely agree 100%, it's all perspective. If you factoring temperatues then only San Diego, San Francisco, LA, and Orange County would be considered coastal, but places like Sacramento, Palm Springs, and Barstow wouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Umm...no? Who would do that? Las Vegas and Phoenix are the Desert Southwest. The West Coast is Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. How can you call Pittsburgh the east coast when it's over 200 miles away from there? Pittsburgh is just the Northeast. The East Coast is Miami, Daytona Beach, Savannah, Charleston, Raleigh, Hampton Roads, D.C., Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford, Providence, Boston, Portland, etc.
If you look at it like that, Raleigh wouldn't really be coastal. It's two hours from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.