Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 130 31.40%
No 284 68.60%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
I wasn't aware that Naval Shipyards and Naval training centers were the same thing ? lol
You really think PA is a coastal state? haa... Some people will say anything to try to win an argument they know they already lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
What if we look at specific parts of the Phoenix metro area? Do you think that Scottsdale has a "west coast" vibe similar to LA?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What if we look at specific parts of the Phoenix metro area? Do you think that Scottsdale has a "west coast" vibe similar to LA?
A "vibe" doesn't make your state something it's not IMHO.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that Naval Shipyards and Naval training centers were the same thing ? lol
Never said they were the same thing. What were you saying about reading comprehension again?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I don't really hear people differentiate between an "eastern" states and the "east coast". I guess it depends on how a person defines an area, and no one will ever completely agree 100%, it's all perspective
You make a good point. There are some that are specific (as I am) and those who just go with the generic descriptions. For some, like me, I define VT as New England because, well, thats where it is. Many will just refer to it as "east" or "east coast". Same goes for IL, MI, WI, etc... alot will call them midwestern, which they are, but theyre also Great Lakes states. It all depends on how people describe them.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM

463 posts, read 646,736 times
Western City yest, west coast no. The wests coast stops culturally and geographically once you get to inland california.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Western City yest, west coast no. The wests coast stops culturally and geographically once you get to inland california.
It does, but Northern California is different culturally than Southern California.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
If you and Steve-O would both like to believe that a state that is the site of the first naval shipyard in the USA is no more coastal than Arizona, with all due respect, knock yourselves out.
I would greatly appreciate being able to converse with you in a civil manner, and am going to ask you to stop resorting to childish insults.
I am not denying the first Naval Shipyard to Pennsylvania, I'm sure it is something to be proud of, but your statement in no way shape or form tells anyone that this shipyard was on the ocean. No one ever said it was impossible to have a shipyard on a river, I understand you have pride in your state and maybe even the river is salty no fresh water, as most rivers tend to be for a couple of miles inland, but that does not change the fact that the first naval shipyard was not on the ocean.
Pennsylvania in fact is seen as a coastal state as Vermont, just as the map i posted stated, But by the logic that Vermont of Pennsylvania are east coast states Arizona has every right to call itself a west coast state, which I disagree with but the logic used in contradicting.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Seattle & Portland are west-coast cities- they're also sometimes nicknamed "wet coast" cities after all. However, further inland cities such as Spokane, or inland empire cities in CA I'd not consider "west coast" as they're too far from the coast and are different culturally from the big cities along the western edge. As such, Phoenix & Las Vegas are "western" cities but they are not coastal- they are in deserts. I'd never think of them as part of the "West Coast." And to the person who said palm trees, beach, etc, etc west coast so the Pacific NW isn't westcoast they definitely are- the "West Coast" classification goes up to the coastal parts of BC, Canada.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Q: Which is further west? Reno, NV or LA, CA?

*the first winner receives a comp point
Found this trivia question somewhat relavant to the topic and since nobody took me up on the offer here is the answer:

RENO, NV! You wouldn't think Reno is further west, but it IS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.