Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

As much as I love Austin, it's starting to become too big for me. I've come to realize I prefer a city with around 300K people maximum. Also, although I like the no income tax of Texas, the property taxes take a large bite because of the increasing prices.

These are my requirements:

* city population between 100K-500K, metro between 150K-1M
* average winter highs above 50 during January (I hate cold weather)
* fairly consistent weather (I hate the day to day swings here)
* low property taxes
* nice restaurant scene (I like to eat out)
* theaters with food/beer/wine (like Alamo Drafthouse)
* high percentage of females to males (I'm a single male)
* either near the beach, mountains, or both
* fairly close to a big city for excursions
* good roads, low traffic conditions
* unique culture
* some festivals throughout the year

Right now I'm considering these cities: Albuquerque NM (mountains & dry weather), Lafayette LA (low property taxes & culture), Tucson AZ (mountains & dry weather), & Charleston SC (beach & culture)

But I'm open to other ideas.

I'm basically trying to find the "next Austin," what Austin was circa 1990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 7,241 times
Go to Midland

Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
St. Petersburg Fl, Tybee Island/Savannah, Knoxville TN

Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek99 View Post
Go to Midland
I hated Midland, too many oil derricks.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Lahaina, Maui.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
As much as I love Austin, it's starting to become too big for me. I've come to realize I prefer a city with around 300K people maximum. Also, although I like the no income tax of Texas, the property taxes take a large bite because of the increasing prices.

* low property taxes
* unique culture

Right now I'm considering these cities: Albuquerque NM (mountains & dry weather), Lafayette LA (low property taxes & culture), Tucson AZ (mountains & dry weather), & Charleston SC (beach & culture)

As already recommended I would suggest checking out St Petersburg FL

It hits all of your criteria and is a city on the move in terms of development and that energy coming together like it has already in cities like Austin, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham. Having personally witnessed that type of growth I see St Petersburg very clearly heading that direction unlike any other city in the Southeast except maybe Louisville, which doesn't hit your geographic proximity requirement to beach or mountains.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

* low property taxes
* unique culture

Tucson is in a beautiful setting, but you really have to be someone that enjoys the desert. What I found alarming with Tucson was it seems to be stuck in the past, with no desire to ever move forward. It's road system is no system at all. It is a very frustrating area to drive in, with only 1 fwy, and long surface streets in terrible shape. The one fwy only skirts the city to the west, and runs north south I-10. The entire city of Tucson and its suburbs to the east, are not served by a fwy at all, just surface streets. Many street are in such poor shape, you wonder how could any city allow this to happen to itself. Many are so bad they are not fit to drive on. Though I believe some have been repaved. It really takes forever to get across town in Tucson. The obvious reason that is very visible with Tucson is lack of revenue coming into the city. It is a very poor city and Tucson does not want to become another Phoenix. You will notice that immediately when talking, to many long time residents. You will notice that and a few other things very quickly.

So again the setting Tucson sits in is just beautiful, surround by mountains on all sides. It's just the stagnant viewpoints of many long time residents, the lack of proper revenue coming into the city. Plus the refusal to live in this day and age with a proper road system, will continually hold Tucson back. These problems are obviously a big part of the reason, Tucson does not attract businesses and employment. Believe me when I say there are people in Tucson that commute to the Phoenix area for employment. They simply cannot find it in Tucson. Phoenix is 110 miles to the north, then add on wherever your going in that huge massive Metro.

If you end up deciding on Tucson. Make sure you visit and make it long enough, that you know you will be comfortable actually living there. Rents are not really all that low, for anyplace you would want to live. Rents are raised very frequently. Like Austin it is a big University Town, which we all know has an impact on rents. So good luck but do make a visit and make sure you know, what your getting into wherever you decide to move to.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Ventura County.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Lahaina, Maui.
Isn't Maui extremely expensive?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As already recommended I would suggest checking out St Petersburg FL

It hits all of your criteria and is a city on the move in terms of development and that energy coming together like it has already in cities like Austin, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham. Having personally witnessed that type of growth I see St Petersburg very clearly heading that direction unlike any other city in the Southeast except maybe Louisville, which doesn't hit your geographic proximity requirement to beach or mountains.
The problem is that Tampa/St. Pete is too big - 2.5 million in metro. I've found that I prefer a mid sized city, that area is too big. I did like the Clearwater beaches though, wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.