Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 07:35 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times

Advertisements

I live in an apt complex and some incident possibly happened this evening in my bldg. I saw one fire department vehicle followed by 2 cop cars and an ambulance stopping in front of my bldg door and then the cops entered the building. Everything happened quietly i.e. there was no noise of any sort and there were no sirens, but the emergency lights of all the vehicles were on. After about 5-10 mins, the fire dept vehicle, 1 cop car and an ambulance left with their emergency lights off. One cop car is still here, but I don't see the cop in there.

Am just curious to know when does the cops and other emergency vehicles arrive in silence? They usually have their sirens on if there is an emergency. I didn't hear any smoke alarm and we don't have security alarm in the apt.

I am thinking about a break-in, but not sure why would a fire dept come along. I am just worried.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I did a ride-along with an Oakland CA policeman one night, and learned a few things about their procedures. Typically no siren means either not an emergency, or they don't want a perpetrator to know they are coming, as in a hostage situation. Fire and ambulance are called whenever there is a chance of injuries. Police are also called to assist with medical issues for crowd control or just keeping bystanders out of the way. For broken bones or other non life-threatening injuries, no sirens are used, because going at normal speeds quietly is much safer and doesn't attract a crowd. If a cop is still there and the others have left, I would guess a loud but not violent domestic dispute called in by a neighbor.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
maybe they went there to arrest a deaf person

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I live in a neighborhood that is 95% senior citizens. Very often, one of us has a problem[heart attack, stroke,dies,etc] and 911 is called. They always bring a fire truck, police car and ambulance. They never use the siren. We always thought they were just being cautious and didn't want to start a chain reaction and need more ambulances.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
I've seen it in the evening, where I'm guessing the officer doesn't want to wake up the whole neighborhood to pull somebody over. The lights get the drivers attention and they pull over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.