Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 46 37.40%
North Carolina 77 62.60%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:32 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times

Advertisements

From Big Bend to the Guadalupe Mountains are appealing. Yes the mountain ranges are far from cities like Austin, San Antonio, and DFW. But that's what makes them incredible. You can see the heavens if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaImpact View Post
Texas completely destroys North Carolina, its not even a fair comparison. But just a couple things:

1.)Texas has many mountain ranges as well (Chisos, Guadalupe, etc); the highest elevation in the state is higher than any point east of the Mississippi. Thus, any outdoor activity you can do in NC's mountains can also be done in those of Texas (except snow sports). Texas also has greater biodiversity, meaning that is a more appealing state for nature buffs.

2.)While North Carolina is the greener state when considering the states as a whole, the green areas of Texas(Piney Woods, Gulf Coast) are just as green as NC, or even greener.

3.)The Outer Banks are beautiful, but the sands there are nowhere near as comfortable as those seen on the Texas Coast; much too packed and hard. The pristine sands of the Texas coast are soft and comfortable on the feet. The pristine water of the Texas coast is sparkly blue, like that of Destin,FL; the murkiness that people see on the waters of the northern Texas coast is unnatural, due to unchecked human activity on the Mississippi. The Texas coast also has a much warmer climate than NC's coast, allowing for greater options of exotic subtropical/tropical plants for landscaping; coconuts can be grown on the southern area of the coast. The warmer climate of the Texas coast allows for warmer waters year-round, which gives rise to interesting marine environments for scuba diving (coral reefs and sea-grass fields in close proximity).

Thus, the Texas beaches, apart from those of Florida, come closest to approximating paradise levels out of all the beaches in the continental US. North Carolina's beaches, while beautiful, can't even begin to compare.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

Having lived in both states, I'll take NC on almost all levels with the exception of TX having larger cities and, generally, better food.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I had a girlfriend who went to Baylor for law school. I'm sure most Texans would say Waco doesn't represent TX but man was it awful. While we were still dating I went out there to visit her. We went to Dallas and Austin and even went canoeing on a river in the hill country. The natural scenery of TX is nice and it isn't just tumbleweeds like you might believe...but honestly I think Texans and their state pride is over-done; it really isn't that great

To each their own. I kissed the ground when I got back to NC.

Also to all of those saying "TX is waaaaay more geographically diverse than NC"...technically accurate; it's also waaaaaaaay larger and it's not like the average person living in TX can make a daytrip to see most of it's varied landscape.

If you live in NC's Research Triangle; you can get to the beautiful blue-ridge mountains in 2.5 hours, same distance in the other direction and you're at Topsail Island outside Wilmington; add another hour and you can be in the Outer Banks....

Those travel times are AT LEAST doubled in most of TX major metro areas.

I know Texans love Texas and the state pride there is great; it's not for me. NC winds by a mile in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
1.)Did the people specify which aspect of Texas's environmental quality they were complaining about?

2.)Most Interstates in many state's aren't built through the most beautiful areas with the most varied terrain, as they would then be more expensive to develop, in contrast to flatter terrain, hence I-10's reputation for "boring scenery." However, even with that, it would be disingenuous to say that the entire drive is "ranch-like;" the drive takes you through climactic, and thus landscape transitions.

3.)I notice you make an exception to Austin when describing Texas's natural scenery as boring. This causes me to suspect that you are limiting your definition of natural beauty to just varied topography. In that case, El Paso would top Austin in that department, having actual mountains, and cliffs nearby. Such is a fallacy that does not take into account the fact that interesting features can be seen in flat environments (bayous, lakes, forests, beaches, wetlands, etc).

4.)As for beaches, yes, the southern coast of Texas is repeatedly said to have great beaches, especially places like South Padre Island (known Spring Break destination). The natural pristine beaches of the Texas coast (and the entire Gulf Coast) would be unimaginably beautiful; think Destin, Fl. Unfortunately, man-made disturbances on the MS River caused a chain of events that lead to unappealing aesthetics on Texas's northern beaches via increasing turbidity (murkiness) of the water; the water you see at Galveston is not natural at all.

Furthermore, I factor in landscaping and climate in my judgement of the beaches; NC's beaches don't have the warm enough climate that allows for the extensive cultivation of tropical plants like the Texas beaches can partake in. This leads to NC's beaches lacking in the tropical, exotic feel that Texas beaches can have.

1.)Just as North Carolina has the Smoky Mountains, Texas has the Guadalupe Mountains, plus many other ranges, in the western area of the state. Once again, these mountain peaks are at higher elevations than any point east of the Mississippi. Texas also has Big Bend National Park, filled with interesting cliffs, buffs, and ravines.

2.)The Outer Banks of NC are beautiful, but the pristine Texas beaches are Destin-esque greatness. Outer Bank's sand is hard and packed, not very comfortable; the Texas sand is soft and nice. The Gulf of Mexico water is naturally very blue and beautiful, again, like what you see at Destin (the murkiness you see at Galveston is due to actions of man). The warmer climate of Texas beaches allow for not only greater tropical landscaping ability, but also more interesting marine environments (hyper-saline lagoons, sea-grass beds, even coral reefs), which serve as scuba diving hot-spots.

3.)Greenery? Please, eastern Texas is just as green as anywhere in NC. In fact, the greenery of the southern portions of eastern Texas might be even more spectacular; not only is the climate just as wet, or even wetter, compared to NC, it is also warmer, meaning the the lush vegetation can grow more profusely, and vigorously (longer growing season).

4.)Texas is better for nature buffs:
Biodiversity (Texas makes top 5 in three types of biodiversity measures, NC makes none):
http://www.natureserve.org/library/stateofunions.pdf

It has everything from eastern forests:
http://www.traildino.com/img/upload/...0Trail-03b.jpg
Lone Star Hiking Trail

to western deserts:
http://brittrunyon.com/wp-content/up...-2024x1291.jpg
Adventure Motorcycle Ride Report - Big Bend National Park - Britt Runyon Photography

from northern plains:
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...g?format=1500w
Buyer's Guide

to southern neotropics:
http://www.larryditto.com/wordpress/...to_70K1749.jpg
Shooting Close to Home | Larry Ditto Nature Photography
How many blobs of hardened BP tar do you have to avoid tripping over when you're walking those "pristine" TX Gulf Coast beaches?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:18 PM

51 posts, read 73,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'll pick NC. And to contradict things stated in at least one previous post.

I love the beaches of N.C. Yes, they are soft sand beaches. You best let a bunch of air out of your tires or there is a good chance you'll get stuck the sand is so soft. And water clarity, well, my career takes me up and down the coast and I have lived, stayed and travelled to most "hot spots" in the fishing community and the water clarity of a good portion of the outer banks (Cape hatteras to Cape lookout) is unmatched anywhere north of south Florida. Yes, the clarity of the S. FL beaches from Jupiter down are unbeatable in the continental US but it can get dirty above Stuart. Yes, NC has it's dirtier water as well but the area where the gulf stream comes close gives super clear water in the mid section of N.C's outer banks.

Speaking of gulf stream, because of that it has the best offshore fishing in the US period. Marlins (white and blue), wahoo, mahi, Schooly yellowfin and giant bluefin tuna, bigeye tuna, and on and on and on. Pamilico sound is a big nursery for many species such as both speckled and grey trout, red drum (redfish) with trophys of 50 or mor lbs quite common. Great waterfowl hunting as well. Now, lets escape fishing (though hard for me to do) and NC has the prettiest and among the highest sections of the Appalachians.

IMO, the state is lacking in the central part but the mountains out west and the OBX in the east more then make up for it.

Now, I'm not bashing Texas as it is a wonderful state as well with much to offer but for the things I love (except for year round warmth) NC wins. But the world class fishing is what pushes it ahead of Texas for me!
I won't dispute the great fishing experience you had in NC, but Texas isn't that bad for the experience either. Texas is the only place outside the Florida Peninsula where viable snook populations for fishing exist; this is yet another result of the warmer climate the Texas coast has compared to NC's coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

Having lived in both states, I'll take NC on almost all levels with the exception of TX having larger cities and, generally, better food.
You can say whatever you want, it all doesn't matter; I made my choice, and provided evidence for my reasoning, so I have nothing to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I had a girlfriend who went to Baylor for law school. I'm sure most Texans would say Waco doesn't represent TX but man was it awful. While we were still dating I went out there to visit her. We went to Dallas and Austin and even went canoeing on a river in the hill country. The natural scenery of TX is nice and it isn't just tumbleweeds like you might believe...but honestly I think Texans and their state pride is over-done; it really isn't that great

To each their own. I kissed the ground when I got back to NC.

Also to all of those saying "TX is waaaaay more geographically diverse than NC"...technically accurate; it's also waaaaaaaay larger and it's not like the average person living in TX can make a daytrip to see most of it's varied landscape.

If you live in NC's Research Triangle; you can get to the beautiful blue-ridge mountains in 2.5 hours, same distance in the other direction and you're at Topsail Island outside Wilmington; add another hour and you can be in the Outer Banks....

Those travel times are AT LEAST doubled in most of TX major metro areas.

I know Texans love Texas and the state pride there is great; it's not for me. NC winds by a mile in my opinion.
Yes, and that large amount of land you cross when driving from place to place through Texas is filled with beauty of various forms, allowing for an enjoyable drive. I already provided my reasons in previous posts of why I think Texas completely owns this battle, and they are backed up with sources and links.

Quote:
How many blobs of hardened BP tar do you have to avoid tripping over when you're walking those "pristine" TX Gulf Coast beaches?
None, because I would be walking through pristine Texas beaches. Obviously, beaches with BP tar balls on them would have been scarred by the unchecked actions of man, and thus not pristine.

Last edited by GigaImpact; 01-01-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I won't dispute the great fishing experience you had in NC, but Texas isn't that bad for the experience either. Texas is the only place outside the Florida Peninsula where viable snook populations for fishing exist; this is yet another result of the warmer climate the Texas coast has compared to NC's coast.

You can say whatever you want, it all doesn't matter; I made my choice, and provided evidence for my reasoning, so I have nothing to lose.

Yes, and that large amount of land you cross when driving from place to place through Texas is filled with beauty of various forms, allowing for an enjoyable drive. I already provided my reasons in previous posts of why I think Texas completely owns this battle, and they are backed up with sources and links.

None, because I would be walking through pristine Texas beaches. Obviously, beaches with BP tar balls on them would have been scarred by the unchecked actions of man, and thus not pristine.
If you are trying to scientifically "prove" your point with "evidence"; we're speaking on different frequencies.

I prefer NC because of the REASONS I stated. Trying to say "Texas wins" because of the "facts" you've provided "evidence" for is very different. It's a subjective question. Saying you prefer Texas to NC is one thing. Of course there are people who will prefer TX to NC....but "proving" one state's "superiority" over another...nah bro that's not how life works.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
NC is my home and I enjoy it here, but I've often been curious why we seem to attract more transplants than other southern states. It seems like tons of people choose to move here (NJ/NY folks, looking at y'all) without even giving a reason why. We're not that special. Transplants interested in NC major metros can practically find what they're looking for in other areas like Richmond, Norfolk/VA Beach, Charleston, Atlanta, or Nashville.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
& a decent beach. The outer banks is probably much better than the Texas beaches which do nothing for me. (At least in the pictures I have seen)

If you had to get exiled, where would you want to be?

Hands down, Texas. The beaches and Gulf are 10x better than the Atlantic. Houston...good times. A completely underrated city.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:09 PM

51 posts, read 73,623 times
Quote:
If you are trying to scientifically "prove" your point with "evidence"; we're speaking on different frequencies.

I prefer NC because of the REASONS I stated. Trying to say "Texas wins" because of the "facts" you've provided "evidence" for is very different. It's a subjective question. Saying you prefer Texas to NC is one thing. Of course there are people who will prefer TX to NC....but "proving" one state's "superiority" over another...nah bro that's not how life works.
OK, I should have been more specific. What I was saying was that in my previous posts, I provided sources, links, and data to support the facts about Texas that I am using as basis for why I believe it kills NC completely.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:11 AM

54 posts, read 76,763 times
"It seems like tons of people choose to move here (NJ/NY folks, looking at y'all) without even giving a reason why."

I've known at least 5 families - not so much personal friends but friends of the family, kids of my parent's friends, coworkers etc. - that moved in the early part of the breadwinner's career(s) to the Research Triangle, 4 from the DC area and one from the Philly area. (One family actually moved to Charlotte but I'm grouping that in.) Here are the two main reasons: don't like the northeastern weather, and don't like what they perceive to be northeastern social values...i.e., 3 of these families were conservative Christians. Also of course a belief that there are more satisfying career opportunities there, 4 of these people were in IT. Even though Raleigh is only a little warmer than DC in winter, it's enough of a difference to be noticeable. Although they did have some freak snow storms there in the 2000s, like the one where people were stuck on I-85 for ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.