Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 46 37.40%
North Carolina 77 62.60%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What percentage of Texas residents do you suppose make a point of traveling to the mountain ranges in Mexico on a regular basis; or better yet, own vacation homes there?

I'd be willing to bet that it's not only SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the proportion of NC residents who vacation/own homes in the mountain region of their own state; but that it's lower than the folks in TX who go all the way to Colorado for their mountain vacations/mountain homes.

Keep reaching like this and you'll pull a muscle!
Exactly but you can't tell stubborn posters like Anthony who is now Gigaimpact anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:00 AM

749 posts, read 1,316,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaImpact View Post
P.S.: While you are at it, make sure you didn't miss this poster here invoking SC into the discussion to show that Charlotte's access to beaches, when it is "Texas vs North Carolina" as you state:
You are referring to my post. Fair enough. My point still stands even if you exclude SC beaches all together. Ocean Isle, Oak Island, Carolina Beach, Southport, Wilmington. They are all approx. 3.5 hours drive away.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:13 PM

51 posts, read 73,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What percentage of Texas residents do you suppose make a point of traveling to the mountain ranges in Mexico on a regular basis; or better yet, own vacation homes there?

I'd be willing to bet that it's not only SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the proportion of NC residents who vacation/own homes in the mountain region of their own state; but that it's lower than the folks in TX who go all the way to Colorado for their mountain vacations/mountain homes.

Keep reaching like this and you'll pull a muscle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Exactly but you can't tell stubborn posters like Anthony who is now Gigaimpact anything.
The inquiry was posed asking for Texas cities within reasonable driving access to both beaches and to mountains, and I have shown that not only are many sizable Texas cities close to beaches, said cities are also within reasonable access to the mighty Sierra Nevada Oriental range in Mexico.

The mountains of Mexico are closer to all the major Texas cities of the Texas Triangle (including DFW) than even the mountains in New Mexico; thus, I don't doubt that a large percentage of Texans take driving trips to the Mexican mountain ranges for vacation over those of Colorado.

So you can flail away all you like; it doesn't matter as I've already proven my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
You are referring to my post. Fair enough. My point still stands even if you exclude SC beaches all together. Ocean Isle, Oak Island, Carolina Beach, Southport, Wilmington. They are all approx. 3.5 hours drive away.
I don't dispute your point; I referenced your post to call out another poster on his/her hypocrisy.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
I lived in TX, and live in NC. Both are great states. NC is prettier and I think better for outdoor activity because it takes less time to get to the mountains/beach than in TX. On the other hand, TX has more variety and better cities, IMO (though again NC is no slouch). NC basically has beaches, coastal pine forest, Piedmont/hardwood forest, and mountains (which are amazing).

Texas has plains (coastal and high), forests, hill country (beautiful!), mountains, beaches, and desert. It also has a cool mixture of cultures: Mexican, German, cowboy, southern, etc. NC's culture is a little less varried. For these reasons, I had to go with Texas.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Exactly Texas is more diverse, cosmopolitan, international, etc.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:51 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
I love my home, but NC is going down a path I'm not a fan of. The constant growth is just making the state more and more suburban, and the countryside and local culture is getting destroyed in the process. It's the worst kind of growth, too. Seeing trendy apartment complexes pop up around downtown Raleigh or areas like North Hills and Crabtree doesn't really bother me. Those areas are in the city of Raleigh so they should be developed, obviously. However, cookie-cutter sprawl in areas like Clayton or Mebane is just a depressing sight. It's also very tiresome to hear of all these people moving to NC without even giving a reason. In other words, it's turning into a giant mess.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM

527 posts, read 319,864 times
I think that NC's location is a plus and the geography has a lot to offer.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
I forgot all about this thread. I have say I give North Carolina alot of credit do to having cities in close proximity to mountains and the ocean. Here in Texas we have to drive further just to see mountains, but otoh we have the hill country which straddles IH 35 mainly through the Austin/ San Antonio corridor. Also with that said San Antonio is 2 hrs away from the coast (Corpus Christi). So I say it's a toss up.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaImpact View Post
Texas completely destroys North Carolina, its not even a fair comparison. But just a couple things:

1.)Texas has many mountain ranges as well (Chisos, Guadalupe, etc); the highest elevation in the state is higher than any point east of the Mississippi. Thus, any outdoor activity you can do in NC's mountains can also be done in those of Texas (except snow sports). Texas also has greater biodiversity, meaning that is a more appealing state for nature buffs.

2.)While North Carolina is the greener state when considering the states as a whole, the green areas of Texas(Piney Woods, Gulf Coast) are just as green as NC, or even greener.

3.)The Outer Banks are beautiful, but the sands there are nowhere near as comfortable as those seen on the Texas Coast; much too packed and hard. The pristine sands of the Texas coast are soft and comfortable on the feet. The pristine water of the Texas coast is sparkly blue, like that of Destin,FL; the murkiness that people see on the waters of the northern Texas coast is unnatural, due to unchecked human activity on the Mississippi. The Texas coast also has a much warmer climate than NC's coast, allowing for greater options of exotic subtropical/tropical plants for landscaping; coconuts can be grown on the southern area of the coast. The warmer climate of the Texas coast allows for warmer waters year-round, which gives rise to interesting marine environments for scuba diving (coral reefs and sea-grass fields in close proximity).

Thus, the Texas beaches, apart from those of Florida, come closest to approximating paradise levels out of all the beaches in the continental US. North Carolina's beaches, while beautiful, can't even begin to compare.
I'm not sure how I feel about this.. Although I agree to most points, I feel like the facts of Texas are being puffed a bit. I have lived in both the DFW area as well as Charlotte for years each. I like both for different reasons.

I think if you are simply going to compare scenery and greenery, the NC wins hands down. You can drive through the entire state of NC and see green almost all year. The beaches... that's debatable, even though I don't love the NC beaches any more than those of florida or Georgia or even virgina...because the all feel the same, the texas beaches aren't all that different until you get way south... gulf in texas is just like the gulf in LA, or AL, or FL... brown water and so-so beach quality.

As far s activities go, I think you are much closer to activities anywhere in NC than you are in TX. You have to drive quite a ways in texas to see anything that looks like hills or mountains or real lakes. IN NC there are several lakes surrounding almost every city. You are close to the mountains unless you live on the eastern shore, then you are probably as close to the mountains as you would be in texas.

I personally like Texas better, but not because of any of he reasons mentioned. I think Texas is just a more progressive faster growing state. More educated, more dependable through down times, more large companies that provide job growth and stability, less humidity, the culture is more to my liking (but that is personal and shouldn't be considered)

I think to compare the two is unfair. Both are wonderful places to live and both have opposite trade-offs

Old 01-18-2016, 10:27 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this.. Although I agree to most points, I feel like the facts of Texas are being puffed a bit. I have lived in both the DFW area as well as Charlotte for years each. I like both for different reasons.

I think if you are simply going to compare scenery and greenery, the NC wins hands down. You can drive through the entire state of NC and see green almost all year. The beaches... that's debatable, even though I don't love the NC beaches any more than those of florida or Georgia or even virgina...because the all feel the same, the texas beaches aren't all that different until you get way south... gulf in texas is just like the gulf in LA, or AL, or FL... brown water and so-so beach quality.

As far s activities go, I think you are much closer to activities anywhere in NC than you are in TX. You have to drive quite a ways in texas to see anything that looks like hills or mountains or real lakes. IN NC there are several lakes surrounding almost every city. You are close to the mountains unless you live on the eastern shore, then you are probably as close to the mountains as you would be in texas.

I personally like Texas better, but not because of any of he reasons mentioned. I think Texas is just a more progressive faster growing state. More educated, more dependable through down times, more large companies that provide job growth and stability, less humidity, the culture is more to my liking (but that is personal and shouldn't be considered)

I think to compare the two is unfair. Both are wonderful places to live and both have opposite trade-offs
I agree with your post except this part. Florida and Alabama gulf beaches are some of the best in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.