Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
At least 10 times. I'll be back there a week from today.
I can't speak for other parts of the state but Northern Virginia is definitely not even half way as southern as Oklahoma, if we're being completely objective here.

Even Richmond, which was the Capital of the Confederacy, I'd be interested in hearing how it's more southern than Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I can't speak for other parts of the state but Northern Virginia is definitely not even half way as southern as Oklahoma, if we're being completely objective here.

Even Richmond, which was the Capital of the Confederacy, I'd be interested in hearing how it's more southern than Oklahoma.
They can't quantify the statement, they never can. It's just hard for people to wrap their minds around the fact that the CSA has no bearings on what Virginia is today. You mention the fact that Richmond didn't even want to secede and it goes ignored. There is really no way, outside of anecdote and mention of the CSA, that someone can confidently state that Oklahoma is less southern than Virginia in 2019.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
I see a bunch of people from Virginia who don't want to be associated with the South. Oklahoma is definitely more conservative than Virginia. North Dakota is incredibly conservative as well. That doesn't make it Southern.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Today, it's Oklahoma hands down. Virginia isn't really that Southern anymore, especially in the cities. 50 years ago the answer to this would be different.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,778 times
Quote:
I see a bunch of people from Virginia who don't want to be associated with the South. Oklahoma is definitely more conservative than Virginia. North Dakota is incredibly conservative as well. That doesn't make it Southern.
It's not about the south, no one from Virginia is disputing that. It's letting the Confederacy be the basis of your reasoning in 2019 that is flawed.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM

My point is more that the things you point at in Oklahoma to make it more Southern than Virginia are fairly pervasive in any corner of rural America.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
There is really no way, outside of anecdote and mention of the CSA, that someone can confidently state that Oklahoma is less southern than Virginia in 2019.
What is your criteria as to "southerness" in 2019?

Oklahoma is not now and has never been anything but a watered down southern state. Oklahoma is and has always been less "southern" than any other "southern" state. So to me the larger question is whether you consider Virginia southern at all in 2019. If you don't then fine, Oklahoma is more "southern". If you still consider Virginia "southern" at any level then this is debatable contingent on what the criteria is.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What is your criteria as to "southerness" in 2019?

Oklahoma is not now and has never been anything but a watered down southern state. Oklahoma is and has always been less "southern" than any other "southern" state. So to me the larger question is whether you consider Virginia southern at all in 2019. If you don't then fine, Oklahoma is more "southern". If you still consider Virginia "southern" at any level then this is debatable contingent on what the criteria is.
I would say over the past 20 years, Oklahoma's cultural ties to the Southeastern United States have become stronger and I would say politics is a big reason why. I remember it used to be that OK was considered more of a Southwestern state. Today, I don't think the state has much in common with anything west of the Texas panhandle/New Mexico state line.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say over the past 20 years, Oklahoma's cultural ties to the Southeastern United States have become stronger and I would say politics is a big reason why. I remember it used to be that OK was considered more of a Southwestern state. Today, I don't think the state has much in common with anything west of the Texas panhandle/New Mexico state line.
Conservative politics have come to define the majority of rural America. It's not a Southern thing.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Conservative politics have come to define the majority of rural America. It's not a Southern thing.
I think the religious aspect of it is a much bigger deal in the rural South than in the rural North and Midwest though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.