Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't view Manhattan as necessarily being "not the real New York." I just think it's not representative of the majority of NYC.
I think it's all the "real New York." I LOVE Manhattan. It's the people I'm talking about, not the boroughs themselves. Everyone knows Manhattan is transplant central. What I'm talking about and the point I'm making shouldn't be this confusing.

Given how transplant heavy and popular New York City is, as a lifelong metro resident who's always just seen it as her city as anyone else living in a metro would see that city, I guess I just really appreciate those actual natives with generations behind them also living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
So would Flatbush, Canarsie and Sheepshead Bay qualify as "real" New York?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So would Flatbush, Canarsie and Sheepshead Bay qualify as "real" New York?
It's not just Staten Island. I just think that despite the stereotypes and endless ridicule, Staten Island is such an authentic example of New York. Which is funny because those dumb transplants who make fun of it probably don't even realize it. That's not to say there aren't other authentic examples or other generational families elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think it's all the "real New York." I LOVE Manhattan. It's the people I'm talking about, not the boroughs themselves. Everyone knows Manhattan is transplant central. What I'm talking about and the point I'm making shouldn't be this confusing.

Given how transplant heavy and popular New York City is, as a lifelong metro resident who's always just seen it as her city as anyone else living in a metro would see that city, I guess I just really appreciate those actual natives with generations behind them also living in the city.
I guess. I suppose I've always thought of New York, and more specifically Manhattan, as being a place full of small town transplants. And I don't think of that as being something recent. But that's just one dimension of NYC (imv) that makes it what it is.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It's not just Staten Island. I just think that despite the stereotypes and endless ridicule, Staten Island is such an authentic example of New York. Which is funny because those dumb transplants who make fun of it probably don't even realize it. That's not to say there aren't other authentic examples or other generational families elsewhere.
I was only asking because a lot of the residents of those areas aren't multi-generational New Yorkers. So I wonder if that makes them less authentic than Staten Islanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK1bSdHgcTo

Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Born in other state in the United States

New York - 891,558 (10.7%)
Los Angeles - 599,907 (15.5%)
Chicago - 493,874 (18.2%)

Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
I was only asking because a lot of the residents of those areas aren't multi-generational New Yorkers. So I wonder if that makes them less authentic than Staten Islanders.
As long as they have a New Yawk accent, they're as authentic. I had a Russian-born* friend in college who a strong-ish NYC accent. Though most of his teenager years were in Staten Island. So doubly authentic?

*is Ukraine now, but he's a native Russian speaker, uh-oh. Though since he's Jewish, I doubt he's a nationalist for either side

Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

New York - 891,558 (10.7%)
Los Angeles - 599,907 (15.5%)
Chicago - 493,874 (18.2%)

Manhattan: 25%
San Francisco: 24%

Born in the same state

Manhattan: 43%
San Francisco: 38%

Old 01-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I guess. I suppose I've always thought of New York, and more specifically Manhattan, as being a place full of small town transplants. And I don't think of that as being something recent. But that's just one dimension of NYC (imv) that makes it what it is.
This is true. Another strong definition I think of is ethnic whites (not only ethnic whites though) who are working class, blue collar, pro union and work for city government entities like the NYPD and FDNY and work in construction and other local city unions. SI has a lot of these. Many 9/11 first responders who died lived on/were from SI, and other outer boroughs. Many Manhattan cops and firemen commute from other boroughs and don't actually live in Manhattan.

And yes, the accents do help.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
This is true. Another strong definition I think of is ethnic whites (not only ethnic whites though) who are working class, blue collar, pro union and work for city government entities like the NYPD and FDNY and work in construction and other local city unions.
What about white collar ethnic whites? Shouldn't they count equally well, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.