Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Gays like nice old buildings haha. That's why the gayborhood here is the Highlands. Lots of older homes and restaurants/bars built in former old homes. A lot of the gay clubs are downtown and NuLu where the architecture is also beautiful.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Thanks.
Like I said, I knew it was there but randomly picking places out on street view usually yields poor results and of course street view and YouTube is nothing like being there- but it's a start. Much better to have a local show you the ropes.

Looks great!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
lol....you can CANNOT just view a city on google earth. For one, many of the images out here are 7 years old or more, and TONS has changed since then.

Second, if you are having to ask where to look....come on now!

I know San Diego is an awesome city because I have been there many times. But just now, I randomly dropped in on some streets that totally stink! I a not even lying when I tell you these were the FIRST two streets I picked at random on the map. My only criteria was to stay within a few miles of downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...15df79!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...15df79!6m1!1e1

These two images, minus the lush landscaping and cacti, could literally be in the mountains of West Virginia! It is AMAZING what perception will do.
Thats funny, the first site you randomly chose is almost exactly a street view I specifically chose as a representation for a thread here of a rural feeling area in a large city very close to downtown- basically in my neighborhood.

The 2nd site is definitely not a great representation of our otherwise mostly quite beautiful city, nor a place I ever need to visit even living here (actually I did to bravely retrieve some stolen property but that's another story ) But goes to show you the hazards of letting Google Maps street view being your tour guide in an area you don't know well.

Can't rep either of you (too much repping on my part) for showing the better side of Louisville but certainly appreciate it!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Even though I've never been to Kentucky I don't think all the negative things that seem to instantly come to mind for some people. This is why I've never understood when people try to disparage Pennsylvania by calling it "Pennsyltucky". I have some distant family there and think of beautiful scenery, horses and people growing weed (seriously-it's one of the top states for it).

This list is probably just trying to showcase places that are not talked about much in the LGBT community at large, but still have some great opportunities and points of interest. I would love to visit Louisville.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Even though I've never been to Kentucky I don't think all the negative things that seem to instantly come to mind for some people. This is why I've never understood when people try to disparage Pennsylvania by calling it "Pennsyltucky". I have some distant family there and think of beautiful scenery, horses and people growing weed (seriously-it's one of the top states for it).
I'd imagine it has something to do with Appalachian culture and the social conservatism which distinguishes it from Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:58 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd imagine it has something to do with Appalachian culture and the social conservatism which distinguishes it from Philly and Pittsburgh.
True-and no doubt about it there are very poor places in both states.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
True-and no doubt about it there are very poor places in both states.
True. But this is not about PA nor KY. It is about the city of Louisville.

And if you visit Louisville's urban neighborhoods, including the urban parts of Jeffersonville and New Albany IN, you will see why Louisville is nothing like KY. Especially if you visited Hazard KY as well.

It is too bad there is the steerotype there is of KY, because while that stereotype can be found in teh state, there are just as many beautiful areas and wonderful places.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 AM

389 posts, read 330,232 times
I would guess there are very poor places in all states. Some are ghettos (poor, violent, uneducated) and some are isolated rural areas. Kentucky is actually quite a beautiful state with rolling hills, rugged terrain, and gorgeous horse farms. Rural KY is no more backward than rural any place else. For people who like rural living it can be down right pleasant. A strong accent does not make someone backward. Many of those people are professionals, or own successful businesses, or are ordinary working people.

Typical Small town KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myvm_Gdrr5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-c1YYtcDb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMDv4cLB7D4

Last edited by ms12345; 01-14-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Little known fact. Even Kim Davis' Rowan County actually voted for Jack Conway (D) in our last governor election.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Little known fact. Even Kim Davis' Rowan County actually voted for Jack Conway (D) in our last governor election.
That's because Kim Davis was a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.