Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times

Advertisements

They are all over Florida as well and we have horrible human services. I think all the northern cities offer them a bus ticket either out west or down south. I live in downtown Jacksonville and at the one nice downtown park we have there is swarms of them just sitting, begging, and smoking all day long. There is without a doubt substantially more homeless here then when i lived in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
They are all over Florida as well and we have horrible human services. I think all the northern cities offer them a bus ticket either out west or down south. I live in downtown Jacksonville and at the one nice downtown park we have there is swarms of them just sitting, begging, and smoking all day long. There is without a doubt substantially more homeless here then when i lived in the northeast.
Same here in south FL.

Any nice, public park where one might potentially wanna hang out is overrun by homeless. There's one park in downtown Miami that is quite literally a homeless bum park, where dozens of them just lay about all day...some even set up tents and like...live there.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
Hello from a fellow CC resident. I have seen lots of panhandling around Walmart. Other than there, I don't see it. We have been to Arcata and Eureka and don't like them at all. We only go there to shop, that is, when the winter storms aren't causing land slides and flooding. Honestly, the mountain roads here scare me. We do love the nature, and summers are wonderful, BUT my hubby has terrible allergies here, so we can't stay. Have no idea where to go...
Well, allergies would probably rule out anywhere in the South or Midwest. Probably somewhere like Arizona or New Mexico would be good for that?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Man, that is messed up! Thanks for the link.
I agree that is really messed up.

I remember back in the 80s, FL had published and given out information on how the homeless could move to northern states such as MI since they did not have waiting periods for welfare. But that was really jumped on and they stopped it.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
The homeless, or at least panhandlers, are a growing demographic in Colorado Springs.

I can't think of a major intersection in this city where you don't have one or more panhandling for money. These folks don't want work or food (I've asked), only cash.

And they aren't just on one corner, they're at freeway off-ramps set up on each exit. They're bold enough to walk up a yard from your car door and stare you down. The city has tried passing ordinances but it's been ruled they have a right to be there.

Last edited by Kar54; 01-21-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
The homeless, or at least panhandlers, are a growing demographic in Colorado Springs.

I can't think of a major intersection in this city where you don't have one or more panhandling for money. These folks don't want work or food (I've asked), only cash.

And they aren't just on one corner, they're at freeway off-ramps set up on each exit. They're bold enough to walk up a yard from your car door and stare you down. The city has tried passing ordinances but it's been ruled they have a right to be there.
I went to Tampa Bay/ St. Pete this last week for a family vacation. We were kind of surprised, we were looking for homeless people seeing as it's warm this time of year down there, but there wasn't nearly CO Springs populations. I don't quite know why.

CO Springs is one of the more conservative cities in the nation, so that goes against the whole "liberal city only" deal for homeless populations. I think it must be a local politics/police thing, because if it was weather only, CO would not be a homeless friendly state.

I can tell you this though, the homeless swarms are a big negative for a lot of these western cities. It really made 16th street mall in Denver a place to avoid rather than a place to walk on when I was there. You'd get hit up like 10 times if you walked across downtown. My bro went to Portland and he said it's even worse out there. He was not impressed at all with that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.