Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times

Advertisements

San Jose: it's downtown has morphed into a true vibrant area of nightlife, entertainment and high rise living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Within the past 20 years? I'd say Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Columbus, San Francisco/Bay Area, San Diego, Dallas, Houston

Just within the past 10? Probably Nashville, Denver, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Austin

And just the past 5? Detroit, Buffalo, Kansas City, New Orleans, Birmingham, Louisville, Cincinnati, Raleigh

Of course that's counting out the big three-LA, Chi, NYC-because they're all constantly changing

Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
DC hands down. It went from Murder Capital to prolific gentrification. Some may point to one or two areas of their cities, but it's dwarfed in comparison to what happened in DC. The demographic changes alone are pretty massive.

No other city had this scale or amount of turnaround in this short a time period.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
I definitely agree that dc has really changed, alot of it just over the last 10 years . overall, I would say its all the sunbelt cities, charlotte,raleigh, atlanta,, all the texas triangle, denver ,phoenix. I would definitely say san jose for sure as well.

I remember visiting charlotte as child and it didnt have much of a downtown at all, now there are tons of condos and restaurants and nightlife, the downtown sports stadiums are all walkable or easy to take light rail to.

The Phoenix cardinals and the Carolina panthers are a pretty appropriate nfc championship next weekend , these teams just came into being a little over 20 years ago and now they are two of the best teams in football. the growth in the sunbelt metros has been phenomenal

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I definitely agree that dc has really changed, alot of it just over the last 10 years . overall, I would say its all the sunbelt cities, charlotte,raleigh, atlanta,, all the texas triangle, denver ,phoenix. I would definitely say san jose for sure as well.

I remember visiting charlotte as child and it didnt have much of a downtown at all, now there are tons of condos and restaurants and nightlife, the downtown sports stadiums are all walkable or easy to take light rail to.

The Phoenix cardinals and the Carolina panthers are a pretty appropriate nfc championship next weekend , these teams just came into being a little over 20 years ago and now they are two of the best teams in football. the growth in the sunbelt metros has been phenomenal
The Cardinals have been around for more than 20 years. In fact they're one of the oldest in the league. They've only existed in Arizona for about 30 years though. (Damn you Bill Bidwill)

Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The Cardinals have been around for more than 20 years. In fact they're one of the oldest in the league. They've only existed in Arizona for about 30 years though. (Damn you Bill Bidwill)
true, are there alot of cardinals even in arizona? Its still better than the new orleans jazz moving and becoming the utah jazz? or the Minneapolis lakers becoming the la lakers, going from a place like minnesota with alot of lakes to a place like LA without alot of lakes. the movie baseketball had a funny scene on all these teams moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzrbp_WR8w

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
Providence .. it used to be a dumpy, dingy, dark city that you couldnt get out of fast enough. Growing up in RI it would have been the last place I would live. It always had good bones, great architecture, but after all the industry left it was just left to rot. During the early 90s it really started to transform. Its nothing like its former self. It really is a pretty city. I was amazed at the tranformation when I returned to RI afer a couple decades of being gone. Now its making all those "great places to visit" and "favorite cities" lists. The restaurand scean is fantastic. hmmm... Who knew? Employment still sucks, but the new Govna' is working on that (I work in MA, so I'm good lol)

Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Seattle has 14 skyscrapers under construction and 12 highrise for a total of 26 towers. There was 5 skyscrapers finished in 2015. There is 26 more skyscrapers and 14 highrise planned for a total of 40 more towers . Several more towers start construction this year. Its really trnsformed downtown all the towers.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle has 14 skyscrapers under construction and 12 highrise for a total of 26 towers. There was 5 skyscrapers finished in 2015. There is 26 more skyscrapers and 14 highrise planned for a total of 40 more towers . Several more towers start construction this year. Its really trnsformed downtown all the towers.
It's interesting because I used to travel to Downtown Seattle in the 70's, and it was lively with offices and shopping. They still had a bunch of high rises with alot of foot traffic. Pike Market was still popular and fun then with all the tourists and hippies hanging out there. It was safer and cleaner back then and with a distinct Seattle feel. It was cheap due to weak economy and a decline in population. Now, it's more cramped with more high rises, not as clean and safe with lots of homeless people but with a San Francisco feel. It's very expensive there now. People are flocking to Seattle and is very crowded. If you look at downtown from Space Needle now, just thin the skyline like a haircut and make it somewhat shorter, you'll have the Seattle's 70's skyline.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM

I just spend a week there last summer with my friend in Seattle. It's a changing place but not for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.