Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 2,798 times

Advertisements

Hello all, ive seen alot of these threads around here, so sorry if this is irritating to some regulars around here. I currently live in Toronto, and would like to move somewhere warm and preferably out west. I have lived in Toronto all my life, and hated the snow and fridgedness of Canada. I am currently a self employed web developer that makes about $125,000 a year (CAD), so i have a fairly large budget for housing and what not. I like cities with sports teams, but i dont like cities that are overcrowded, or heavily polluted. I would preferably like to live somewhere that has low crime, and has a good sense of community. Thanks in advanced, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,426,906 times
What are your hobbies? Do you like to go out? Are you looking to get married and/or start a family? What are your political leanings?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
What are your hobbies? Do you like to go out? Are you looking to get married and/or start a family? What are your political leanings?
I am a bit of a party animal myself. I do enjoy clubbing, and i like meeting people at bars. I do plan on starting a family one day, thats why i requested somewhere safe. I dont even vote, so im pretty open to any politically influenced area.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:48 PM

For some reason Chicago and Seattle are what is coming to mind. Chicago is an excellent city for nightlife, has lots of singles and young people, and tons of sports teams.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:29 PM

473 posts, read 520,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
For some reason Chicago and Seattle are what is coming to mind. Chicago is an excellent city for nightlife, has lots of singles and young people, and tons of sports teams.
If he wants to escape Toronto's harsh winters, then Chicago should probably be taken off the list.

Seattle definitely could be an option though (as could nearby Vancouver ... not sure what the visa process is like if you're self-employed). Denver might also be an option. It gets cold, but it has something like 300 days of sunshine.

Otherwise, good weather, out west, sports teams ... why not San Diego? It's the most expensive option, but not as crazy as California's other two major cities.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks all for the input!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:14 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Denver might be good too.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM

I think Denver's nightlife kinda sucks unless weed and craft beer are all you need

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocon View Post
Thanks in advanced, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Have you cleared the hurdles of immigration and being permitted to work? Unless you are sponsored by a US employer, and these applications are running years ahead, sorry, doesn't look promising:
U.S. Visa

Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocon View Post
Hello all, ive seen alot of these threads around here, so sorry if this is irritating to some regulars around here. I currently live in Toronto, and would like to move somewhere warm and preferably out west. I have lived in Toronto all my life, and hated the snow and fridgedness of Canada. I am currently a self employed web developer that makes about $125,000 a year (CAD), so i have a fairly large budget for housing and what not. I like cities with sports teams, but i dont like cities that are overcrowded, or heavily polluted. I would preferably like to live somewhere that has low crime, and has a good sense of community. Thanks in advanced, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Given your desire for less overcrowded and/or polluted along with milder winters, pro sports, lower crime and a sense of community (which often equates to friendly) I would recommend Nashville which is quickly becoming the new "it" city. Also bear in mind 125K will not go that far in places like Seattle or Denver which have both shot up in cost of living considerably over the past several years. Nashville would provide a fairly high standard of living at 125K which is something to heavily consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.