Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:41 PM

90 posts, read 145,360 times

Advertisements

and would like to live in a sizeable plot of land, including a nice outdoor gym, two-4 acres, but still within a 35 min drive of a major metro . So no crazy COL, but can pay a premium if I had to. Ruled out NJ MD DC NY CA for guns and COL.

VA? TX? GA? FL? NV? OR? Los Angeles?

Where is a good place to live for me?

I would also like to work for a startup. I know a lot of people say to live in the bay area if you want to go the startup route, but in addition to being expensive I just dont understand, past networking, the reason in a world with SKYUPe and in a job/industry with my skills highly in demand I couldn't find a good startup fit soemwhere else or even work remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:33 AM

major metro = ethnic food mainly. i like lebanese middle eastern and south asian food. like eating green and fresh and taking care of my health.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:17 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
What about Salt Lake City UT? Gun friendly, many small startups in and around the city, can get away from it all in short drives...

Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
two -4 acres in los angeles county is going to be millions of dollars,northern virginia is way overpriced and the traffic is some of the worst in the country on the virginia side of dc, it is not great on the maryland side either and anywhere around dc you are over paying for land.

price wise and for a software engineer job wise , the best bet would be the texas triangle. maybe somewhere near atlanta and nevada near las vegas or reno looks really cool too. I dont know about the job situation there for startup and s/w engineers in vegas

I think the salt lake city recommendation is a great one, seems like a great job market

Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwitdontshowit View Post
So no crazy COL,
The only suburbs like that are in the Midwest and parts of the Deep South.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:

Ruled out NJ MD DC NY CA for guns and COL.
VA? TX? GA? FL? NV? OR? Los Angeles?
Uh...

Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
and would like to live in a sizeable plot of land, including a nice outdoor gym, two-4 acres, but still within a 35 min drive of a major metro . So no crazy COL, but can pay a premium if I had to. Ruled out NJ MD DC NY CA for guns and COL.
Would you mean two to four acres, or do you really want two four acre plots?

Either way, try Chattanooga.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Why not Arizona? We are in the top 3 for gun leniency (Alaska and Florida are up there with us) and our COL is affordable. I'd say Phoenix is a nice metro, better than Las Vegas IMO. I'd also say Arizona's nature is a bit more appealing than Nevada's...

Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Why not Arizona? We are in the top 3 for gun leniency (Alaska and Florida are up there with us) and our COL is affordable. I'd say Phoenix is a nice metro, better than Las Vegas IMO. I'd also say Arizona's nature is a bit more appealing than Nevada's...
You think being Muslim would be a problem? I heard of that mosque that was surrounded by militiamen/Pamella Geller supporters. I guess I can bring my own gun lol

Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
You think being Muslim would be a problem? I heard of that mosque that was surrounded by militiamen/Pamella Geller supporters. I guess I can bring my own gun lol
Arizona is one of the top 5 states in the country for the number of Syrian refugees. I believe there are a large population of Iraqis and I actually know a lot of Muslims in Tucson. There are quite a bit around here, or maybe I just happen to run into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.