Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Michigan is more similar to
Ohio 42 54.55%
Wisconsin 35 45.45%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times

Advertisements

Interesting question. Of course Michigan is its own multi-peninsular planet...so might be better to frame the question, "which is more similar to Michigan........Ohio, or Wisconsin?"_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 10:54 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Manufacturing employment

Wisconsin 16.3%
Michigan 13.5%
Ohio 12.6%

The Manufacturing Footprint and the Importance of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs | Economic Policy Institute

Wisconsin is #2 in manufacturing employment share among states, after Indiana (16.8%).

Old 02-01-2016, 06:25 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
It's almost a geographical oddity that Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan are all in the Eastern Time Zone.
I think the eastern time zone is deceiving. Detroit is Geographically east of Atlanta, I think it's more confusing when you look on a map which is harder to discern that.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Michigan is on Eastern Standard Time, like Ohio is. Wisconsin by contrast is solidly on Central Standard Time. Michiganders don't think of themselves as "Midwesterners."

Not all of Michigan is in the eastern time zone. The western portion of the upper peninsula is in the central time zone.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
It's almost a geographical oddity that Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan are all in the Eastern Time Zone.

You better double check that.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 AM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I think Michiganders during most of the 20th Century thought of themselves as part of the industrial manufacturing northEAST, not as part of the prairie farming clans of the midwest. At least all my family members who worked in the auto industry did, and those who still live there do. Now that that industry has in large part collapsed, I think there's a bit of an identity crisis there. I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as a "north midwesterner."
The Midwest is also known as one of the nation's major industrial regions, not just as an agricultural region. It contains a large number of major industrial centers. It also isn't strictly a rural farming area either...it has a large urban population housed in a large number of major and mid-sized cities. And I have lived in Ohio, where eighty percent of the population lives in metropolitan areas and which historically led the nation in terms of number of manufacturing workers (Texas has since eclipsed us) my entire life, and never heard it referred to as anything other than a Midwestern state.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 11-26-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 10:26 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Tough one.

I give the edge to Wisconsin.

Michigan's UP is a dead ringer.

The LP is a toss up.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:54 PM

170 posts, read 176,673 times
Quote:
All of Michigan observes Eastern Time except the four Upper Peninsula counties (Gogebic, Iron, Dickinson, and Menominee) that border Wisconsin. Other westernmost counties from this area such as Ontonagon observe Eastern Time.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Interesting question. Of course Michigan is its own multi-peninsular planet...so might be better to frame the question, "which is more similar to Michigan........Ohio, or Wisconsin?"_
Thank you. I was thinking the same. Michigan is like a tiny country of its own. It has a East Coast, a West Coast, a North Coast, and has an international border with Canada. It is like an island with its own unique feel.

However, the feel of Michigan does stretch outside of its border to tiny slivers within northern Ohio, northern Indiana. You could even argue that Chicagoland feels more similar to Michigan than it does to mid or southern Illinois.

Michigan's metropolitan areas such as Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Flint, and Kalamazoo share similarities with other metropolitan areas close to the Michigan border such as Toledo, Fort Wayne, and Chicago and perhaps Milwaukee and Cleveland. In my mind, Michigan is not similar to these outlier places, but rather, these outlier cities are similar to Michigan. Michigan is the epicenter of the Great Lakes Region and is rightly known as the "Great Lakes State."

Wisconsin kind of feels like a reverse reflection of Michigan with its southern portion similar to southern Michigan, and its northern part similar to the UP. But Wisconsin's western portion seems more tied to Minnesota. But I think that there is a detachment of southern Michigan and southern Wisconsin due their separation by Lake Michigan. In other words, I would wager that people in Milwaukee have more of an affinity with Minneapolis than Detroit, while people in Detroit have more of an affinity with Toronto than Milwaukee. But both areas do share an affinity with Chicago.

What is an interesting question I have is if people in Milwaukee have more of an affinity with the UP of Michigan than Southern Michigan. I find this to be an interesting question because one could argue that southern Wisconsin is more similar to southern Michigan, but yet, they may feel closer in ties with the UP just because the UP is connected to Wisconsin by land.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Thank you. I was thinking the same. Michigan is like a tiny country of its own. It has a East Coast, a West Coast, a North Coast, and has an international border with Canada. It is like an island with its own unique feel.

However, the feel of Michigan does stretch outside of its border to tiny slivers within northern Ohio, northern Indiana. You could even argue that Chicagoland feels more similar to Michigan than it does to mid or southern Illinois.

Michigan's metropolitan areas such as Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Flint, and Kalamazoo share similarities with other metropolitan areas close to the Michigan border such as Toledo, Fort Wayne, and Chicago and perhaps Milwaukee and Cleveland. In my mind, Michigan is not similar to these outlier places, but rather, these outlier cities are similar to Michigan. Michigan is the epicenter of the Great Lakes Region and is rightly known as the "Great Lakes State."

Wisconsin kind of feels like a reverse reflection of Michigan with its southern portion similar to southern Michigan, and its northern part similar to the UP. But Wisconsin's western portion seems more tied to Minnesota. But I think that there is a detachment of southern Michigan and southern Wisconsin due their separation by Lake Michigan. In other words, I would wager that people in Milwaukee have more of an affinity with Minneapolis than Detroit, while people in Detroit have more of an affinity with Toronto than Milwaukee. But both areas do share an affinity with Chicago.

What is an interesting question I have is if people in Milwaukee have more of an affinity with the UP of Michigan than Southern Michigan. I find this to be an interesting question because one could argue that southern Wisconsin is more similar to southern Michigan, but yet, they may feel closer in ties with the UP just because the UP is connected to Wisconsin by land.
I think I can safely say, that Milwaukee has more an affinity with Chicago, than anywhere else. Minneapolis and Detroit are just too far away...Chicago is just down the road, and somewhere you can go for lunch. As far as the UP, I don't find it that similar to any part of Wisconsin, other than the extreme north. Certainly not to the southern part of the state.

Last edited by Enean; 12-03-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.