Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,309,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
San Francisco, Chicago, and Charlotte. Though Boston is growing fast and the fact that many of the individuals in charge of the Bank of America are increasingly headquartered in the NE may change Charlotte's future drastically.
Bank of america acquired fleetboston like it did alot of regional banks around the county and moynihan just commutes to charlotte,. The world headquarters are still in charlotte, if they moved anywhere it would probably have been to nyc after the merrill lynch acquisition. I just dont see it though, too many people moving to the sunbelt and too expensive of a move, panthers winning a super bowl certainly wont hurt the city.

I think wells fargo actually has more employees in charlotte than boa , they employ more people in charlotte than wachovia did. charlotte is one of the major banking and financial centers in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:01 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,449,648 times
In my opinion what you miss out on is: variety of foods, easier access to major cultural exhibits, top sporting/concerts and theater events. Walkability on a much larger scale. Street festivals.

Small towns can offer all of these things, but ususlly only one or two at a time. Only the really major cities offer the full package that makes it easy to go to all of these things.

There are of course downsides to everything. Noise in the middle of the night from people living above/below or people in the courtyard that my apartment faces is probably the biggest one that gets me.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-28-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Bank of america acquired fleetboston like it did alot of regional banks around the county and moynihan just commutes to charlotte,. The world headquarters are still in charlotte, if they moved anywhere it would probably have been to nyc after the merrill lynch acquisition. I just dont see it though, too many people moving to the sunbelt and too expensive of a move, panthers winning a super bowl certainly wont hurt the city.

I think wells fargo actually has more employees in charlotte than boa , they employ more people in charlotte than wachovia did. charlotte is one of the major banking and financial centers in the country.
None of this has anything to do with Wall Street, though. You're talking about commercial/consumer banking. Investment banking ("Wall Street") is essentially a different industry.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,912,362 times
Reload this Page What am I really missing out on by not living in a major (world class) city?

Nothing, you are probably better off because you don't.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:33 PM

27,268 posts, read 28,339,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Be thankful that everyone doesn't feel the need to live in a major "world class" city. Can you imagine?
Very true, but I didn't think that was the point of this thread.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,981,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
This X900

Your life is what you make of it.
with the opportunities you have available.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,724,830 times
Reload this Page What am I really missing out on by not living in a major (world class) city?

You are missing out on better quality of stuff. For example in a small town the main place to eat at is probably Olive Garden or something similar. In a major city you probably can find bbq dinosaur meat somewhere lol (Just kidding but you get the point).

In a small town you probably have a few will BS venues to go to for nightlife. In a major city you will have better options.

Entertainment: You are probably missing out on better quality festivals, music festivals, concerts, etc....

The most important thing is you are missing out on the adventure. In most small cities/town most people just work during the week and chill on the weekends. They might do something every once in a while but they arent constantly doing new things. In the city its an adventure every weekend..

It depends on the type of person you are. If you are a homebody and dont like being in the mix the small town life is great.

If you are type that loves being outdoors at events, meeting new people and having fun the major city lifestyle is better

Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM

38 posts, read 53,475 times
Don't buy the hype that living in a big city is better. Take it from my point of view. I'm from Vermont. I went to school down south and pursued a technical degree that was fit for working in bigger cities like LA or NY.

I moved to NYC last year, and have hated the experience ever since.

What you're missing out on:

-paying $900/mo for a ****ty bedroom in Brooklyn, with one window facing a brick wall, with two other dumbasses who keep me up all night with their smoking and hula hooping contests.
-no direct access to nature, forget the term 'backyard' or even 'frontyard'.
-don't enjoy driving in traffic? Enjoy people in your personal space. Enjoy not getting to work on time almost every other day because no matter what time you leave for work, you are relying on a mode of transportation, it does not rely on you.
-Look forward to a constant state of freezing or sweating. Walking blocks upon blocks, in freezing temperatures and then getting on a steam room-train or bus.
-dealing with awful landlords and realtors who will scam you. TRUST me.
-Learning to leave 40min to an hour before every apt from no matter where you are.
-Longer work hours to compensate for the insane amount of taxes you will pay. And, i'm not joking. You pay Federal, State AND City taxes (2/3 amount of state)... plus another ridiculous SDI column that you do not get back.
-Transit expenses. I pay $116/mo for a train pass. That's bull****.
-Gyms are $40/mo and up. Be prepared to wake up at 5am or leave work at 6pm and get to a gym by 7pm to work out until 8pm and then not get home until 9pm, eat at 10pm and fall asleep. That's your schedule.
-****ty food for general working class people. Just because you pay more to live here, doesn't guarantee a higher pay check.
-Short tempered and 'cold' people all around.
-Pushing a laundry cart/carrying laundry blocks upon blocks every weekend to pay $6 for a load or $19 to drop off, have it be stained by other people using the same ****ty machine.
-No such thing as a dishwasher, windows in any room is not a right, it's a privilege.
-Workplaces might look nice, but the truth is they are trying to accommodate you with breakfast, gym, events to make you feel OK with working longer hours.

That's the outlook of NYC. I'm sorry for being so negative, but this has been my experience. If I was a young drunk college trust fund kid? Yeah. I'd like it. Wandering the streets at night for late night pizza and open bars with a sea of faces.

Why I moved here: the work opportunity is abundant in my field, maybe all fields also good food and music festivals -- that I still can't afford.

Damn, I can't wait to move away! NYC, Ciao.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:13 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,347,423 times
My perspective: Big cities are fun to visit, but not to live in. The suburbs, maybe, but not the city itself. I personally enjoy having more space and not being packed in like a sardine. I like the cleaner air and more laid back atmosphere. Also my standards of living are better.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM

226 posts, read 255,580 times
I've lived in 2 world class cities, several suburbs and now a small city. I love the energy of the bigger cities, and it's true the recreational and cultural opportunities can't be beat. From a career standpoint, the small city has been great for us. My partner is in a tech field and he's a bigger fish in a smaller pond, which is fine with us. My career is the same, but the lower COL my income goes further. My commute is blissfully short, unlike our time in the suburbs. And since our smaller city is not in the shadow of a big city, and it's a college town, there is plenty to do. I could dine out every night and never go to a chain restaurant. Summer brings lots of festivals and fairs. Public transportation isn't the NYC subway, but my children can grab a bus downtown or to the university any time.

I'm glad I lived in some big cities, but I like the balance of my life in a smaller one. The places I never want to live again: far-flung suburbs. I don't miss that lifestyle one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.