Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 PM

337 posts, read 268,415 times

Advertisements

New England is basically comprised of the smallest states in the US, and the size of New England itself is about the average size of the other states. Outside of New England, is it viewed largely as a singular region? Or do the states carry a more prominent identity on their own, despite their smaller size?

Last edited by Mayei; 02-02-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The states definitely have distinct identities and the rivalries between them are more vociferous than that between New England as a whole and New York or America in general.

Massachussetts, Vermont, and particularly Maine are like cults, at least among the generational natives.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
New Hampshire attracts conservative people, even from other regions of the U.S., who want little governmental regulation in their lives (NH's motto has always been "live free or die"), it has very little income tax, but a high property tax.

The other states are all more liberal and higher taxed. Vermont allows no billboards on its highways.

Most, or all, the New England states have town, city, or township-based local government, including school systems. The Counties have very few governmental powers.

The Eastern part of Maine is rather remote geographically, and has a lot of poverty and unhealthy lifestyles.

All the states, in their coastal areas, have a long history of a tourist resort economy, dating back to the 1800s. Many of the mountain areas as well. Tourist towns are kept very neat and tidy, and manicured. Industrial towns, less so. Public education was also established in New England very early in history, especially in the Boston area. Much, much earlier than in other regions of the U.S.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
We feel like a region and yet we feel like individual states at the same time. A lot of us travel from state to state within New England because the area is compact and includes so many of the types of things we like to do. We can feel out of place when we are out of New England.

Most true New Englanders are known for being frugal, not showy, minding their own business, being open minded, well educated. We appreciate history and preservation of historical sites. We love the outdoors and outdoor activities. Most of us are drawn to the ocean.

However there are definite variations. Connecticut is largely suburban or rural with just a few cities. One area of CT, down by NYC, is more like NYC than CT as it is extremely wealthy and the residents usually work in NYC. The rest of CT is more similar to Massachusetts, which is suburban, rural, and has one overriding major city: Boston.

Rhode Island is surrounded by ocean and has one main city: Providence. From what I've seen, there are a lot of run down areas but some gorgeous areas too, especially seaside areas.

Vermont is rural and consists of green mountains, rivers and valleys. Population in most parts is sparse and it's known for good hearted people but also for an influx of people with a lot of money who are looking for a fantasy "good life." Life for the real Vermonters can be tough because of the lack of jobs and the harsh winter weather.

Neighboring New Hampshire is composed of more conservative types who don't want much government. They want freedom above all.

Then there is Maine. I think if we all have anything in common, it's a love and respect for the state of Maine. Many Mainers are dirt poor but there are the rich and there are rich people who move to live near the gorgeous coast. Maine is The Way Life Should Be. Many New Englanders dream of retiring to Maine.

This is a quick summary off the top of my head and others may differ. This is the way I experience New England. I'd say we also tend to be independent and we share a reverence for our colonial heritage and for history in general.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
New England is basically comprised of the smallest states in the US, and the size of New England itself is about the average size of the other states. Outside of New England, is it viewed largely as a singular region? Or do the states carry a more prominent identity on their own, despite their smaller size?
I am not sure about what people say outside New England, I think it is a mix. But inside New England, there seems to be a difference. Here on City-Data, I see people in the Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont forums occasionally say New England but usually use the words of their home state, Connecticut, Rhode Island or Vermont. But in contrast, Massachusetts people often seem to substitute the words New England instead of Massachusetts.

Now Massachusetts has a positive imagine so I certainly don't think Massachusetts people are embarrassed about their home state. Rather my guess is this has something to do with Massachusetts more or less being in the center of population of New England.

Anyway something I noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.