Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM

650 posts, read 868,222 times

Advertisements

Someone saying Minneapolis was "out west"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post

That is a real stretch. I would consider nothing east of the Great Plains to be "out west"

Old 02-09-2016, 01:51 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Most of my older relatives are/were from Wisconsin and Michigan, and all referred to those states as "back east" after moving to California.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You can think of Illinois as the quintessential midwest state. It's also geographically in the middle of the midwest. On the fringes, you have parts of the Midwest that have things in common with the Plains, the South, and the East. When people from one end of this vast region, look at people from the other end, things get confusing.

When I lived in Minnesota and I told people I was from Ohio, they called it the East, not the Midwest. The culture in Ohio is totally different from Minnesota, and compared to them, we are more like the East. I've also noticed on some Cleveland broadcasts, when they say there's a storm in the "midwest" they're not referring to Ohio, but rather to Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. We also refer to ourselves as Midwest, but I think we are conscious of the differences between us and those states.
I disagree that the culture in Ohio is that much different from Minnesota. Both are in the Midwest, and I disagree that Ohio is more like the east compared to Minnesota. Compared to the Plains states maybe but not the states east of there. Ohio for the most part as a whole state is more like its fellow Midwestern states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Missouri than it is like Pennsylvania or Upstate New York.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Historically, Minnesota was called "The Northwest". Northwest Airlines (now merged into Delta) originated in Minneapolis.

And yes, Michigan was considered "back east" by this Seattle boy.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Most of my older relatives are/were from Wisconsin and Michigan, and all referred to those states as "back east" after moving to California.

A lot of people on the west coast call states east of the Rocky mountains "back east". Those two states are east of the Mississippi river as well, so in that respect they are part of the East. That does not mean Northeast however, as they are quintessential Upper Midwest places. At least half of the Midwest is in the eastern half of the nation.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I disagree that the culture in Ohio is that much different from Minnesota. Both are in the Midwest, and I disagree that Ohio is more like the east compared to Minnesota. Compared to the Plains states maybe but not the states east of there. Ohio for the most part as a whole state is more like its fellow Midwestern states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Missouri than it is like Pennsylvania or Upstate New York.
Depends on where in Ohio you are.

Appalachian Ohio is very much more like PA and upstate NY as well as northern WV.

Cleveland is very much like Buffalo NY and Erie PA.

Central and west Ohio are very much like the rest of the Midwest.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 AM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
I have an aunt and uncle that live in Omaha and they refer to it as "back east" when they're in Oregon, but that's about the furthest west I've heard it referred to as.

A friend of mine that lives in New Jersey considers "out west" to be anything west of Denver, so it seems that's a common dividing line.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:10 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
I tend to consider anything west of the "frontier strip" western and anything east of it eastern. Between the strip itself and land west of the Mississippi it''d be fair to call that the true central US.

To clarify I consider the following states to be the center of the US as far as east-west is concerned. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota. To me east of that is east, west of that is west.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Depends on where in Ohio you are.

Appalachian Ohio is very much more like PA and upstate NY as well as northern WV.

Cleveland is very much like Buffalo NY and Erie PA.

Central and west Ohio are very much like the rest of the Midwest.
Cleveland is also very much like Detroit and Chicago, and Buffalo and Erie are much more like those cities than the Bos-Wash Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.