Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,989,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Erie does not really fit with the rest of Pennsylvania, being the only part of the state along the Great Lakes and with relatively flatter terrain. It is the only area in the western part of the state with a significant Hispanic population as well. Overall Erie is more like a smaller Buffalo or Cleveland than other cities in the state.

The southwest corner of Utah around St. George stands out within the state for its subtropical climate, far more like Las Vegas than Salt Lake City. It is also a popular retirement destination, while the predominant demographic is much younger elsewhere in the state.
That to me means that Pittsburgh is less representative of PA because it doesn't have a significant Hispanic presence. Most of PA does and is very Puerto Rican. Pittsburgh seems like a weird liberal Appalachian hillbilly blue collar place that is its own universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,097,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That to me means that Pittsburgh is less representative of PA because it doesn't have a significant Hispanic presence. Most of PA does and is very Puerto Rican. Pittsburgh seems like a weird liberal Appalachian hillbilly blue collar place that is its own universe.
Some would argue that Philly/SEPA doesn't feel like PA and fits in more with NJ. I grew up outside of Allentown and went to PSU in State College. Most of PA is in the Appalachians, with older coal mining towns dotting the mountain valleys. Pittsburgh/SWPA in general feels more like PA than Philly/SEPA. You can definitely make a case for Erie as well (feeling more like Cleveland & Buffalo).

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,149,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Pittsburgh is indeed a pretty unique place, but it is a large enough part of Pennsylvania that it is difficult to see the area as an outlier. At least around the central part of the metro area, it is not very blue collar and industrial these days. Immigrants from Asia and Europe are also pretty well represented, likely holding many new jobs that are being created in the area in medical, education, and technology fields.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:07 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
This is what the governor of Texas said about Austin : “As I was coming up here from Austin, Texas, tonight, I got to tell you, it’s great to be out of the People’s Republic of Austin,” Abbott said. “As you leave Austin and start heading north, you start feeling different. Once you cross the Travis County line, it starts smelling different. And you know what that fragrance is? Freedom. It’s the smell of freedom that does not exist in Austin, Texas.”

Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Texarr Cities under 2 million population usually aren't that Hip ( Austin ) is. As a matter of fact there are two cities
under 2 Million Population that are actually HIP , Austin
& Las Vegas and Las Vagas is a ( Train Wreck ). AUSTIN
is in no way your typical TEXARR CITY it's the hippest
liveable Metro Under 2 Million Population in the USA...
I totally agree, but Portland is cool and hip.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,863,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Pueblo, CO belongs in New Mexico
Seconded. Along with Alamosa and the San Luis Valley.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 PM

4,358 posts, read 4,200,802 times
Eureka CA belongs in Alaska.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,989,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is what the governor of Texas said about Austin : “As I was coming up here from Austin, Texas, tonight, I got to tell you, it’s great to be out of the People’s Republic of Austin,” Abbott said. “As you leave Austin and start heading north, you start feeling different. Once you cross the Travis County line, it starts smelling different. And you know what that fragrance is? Freedom. It’s the smell of freedom that does not exist in Austin, Texas.”
Austin is absolutely Texan. It is Texas spirit without religious conservatism. Everything else Texas is indeed present in Austin.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,204,627 times
Philly feels more like New Jersey than the rest of PA, even though it's the state's largest city and metro area...

Gulfport-Biloxi feel very different from the rest of Mississippi. Those cities have a lot more in common with New Orleans and Mobile than say, Jackson or Meridian.

Miami is an outlier for Florida, but it embodies everything people think of when it comes to the state except theme parks. Tampa is a weird combo of old and new Florida, pretty much has a little bit of everything.

El Paso feels more like New Mexico than Texas.

Huntsville and Mobile in Alabama.

Memphis in Mississippi, I mean, Tennessee.

St. Louis feels very different from the rest of Missouri, to me.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,411,692 times
Chicago is an obvious answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.