Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times

Advertisements

I argued this before, but wanted to repeat. Unlike states like Illinois and Nevada, Texas is not one dominated by a single metro, so I feel it is more important to compared Austin to its peers rather than random minor cities/towns in the rest of the state. I consider there to be six "major" metros in Texas, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, and maybe Hidalgo County, though that is the only one I've never been to, so that is based on population. I don't consider Austin "not Texan" because I don't seen any quality that is shared by the four or five other major metro regions but not by Austin. I see people try to say Austin is more liberal, but Austin is much more Democrat than it is Liberal (I mean, didn't the core city try to ban plastic bags at stores and put restrictions that pushed out Uber and Lyft?). Houston and DFW are moderate (no idea on San Antonio), but El Paso and Hidalgo Country are also very Democrat, if not more so, so that is hardly a deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,716 times
Portland OR
Seattle WA
Austin TX
Denver CO

All these states are wicked conservative outside of a few large metros

Old 06-09-2017, 01:05 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I argued this before, but wanted to repeat. Unlike states like Illinois and Nevada, Texas is not one dominated by a single metro, so I feel it is more important to compared Austin to its peers rather than random minor cities/towns in the rest of the state. I consider there to be six "major" metros in Texas, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, and maybe Hidalgo County, though that is the only one I've never been to, so that is based on population. I don't consider Austin "not Texan" because I don't seen any quality that is shared by the four or five other major metro regions but not by Austin. I see people try to say Austin is more liberal, but Austin is much more Democrat than it is Liberal (I mean, didn't the core city try to ban plastic bags at stores and put restrictions that pushed out Uber and Lyft?). Houston and DFW are moderate (no idea on San Antonio), but El Paso and Hidalgo Country are also very Democrat, if not more so, so that is hardly a deciding factor.
I agree entirely with you on this. Austin is not un-Texan. If it isn't of Texas, than neither is Dallas, College Station, or Houston.

People have to understand that a city that does not fit its state is not just a little different from other metros; it's VERY different. New York City and Chicago are the penultimate examples of a city that could be removed from its host state and be culturally independent.

Austin is not different enough from other Texas cities to be considered in this same league.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 PM

10,216 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Both Houston and Austin are very liberal in their city limits. Banning plastic bags is the ultimate liberal nanny state act. I'm not sure about Uber and Lyft. Houston has a lesbian mayor who demanded that pastors turn over their church sermons for government review so they can see what is preached about the gay lifestyle. However Austin is the MORE liberal city and is the most liberal in Texas.

Austin is also liberal compared to many cities outside Texas there are many places even outside the South that are less liberal.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 15,917,484 times
I would have to say that New Orleans IS culturally different than the rest of Louisiana, even compared to some of its suburbs.

There's also something about Savannah that sets it apart from the rest of Georgia.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Portland OR
Seattle WA
Austin TX
Denver CO

3 of those 4 states have gone blue the past 3 elections.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
3 of those 4 states have gone blue the past 3 elections.
Yeah because of the major cities, if you take them out, those are all red states.

Presidential election 2016

WA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._(state),_2016
OR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...n_Oregon,_2016
CO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Colorado,_2016
TX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...in_Texas,_2016

Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,647 times
Homer has a very different feel from the rest of Alaska. Anchorage too, feels more like it should be in Colorado.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Portland OR
Seattle WA
Austin TX
Denver CO

What metros in Texas are conservative?

Also wasn't aware WA state, part of the "Unchurched Belt" is conservative. Spokane is purple at best.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Austin is the quintessential Texas city, summing up the state better than any of the other cities. It could not exist elsewhere else. Anyone saying otherwise has probably never been to that city, and is filling the blanks with assumptions based on posts, blogs, and statistics. Austin is uniquely Texan.

Even focusing on politics in that town is dumb. You could remove the voting patterns, as well as the fact that the capital is there, and the overall vibe, heart, and character of the town would remain unchanged.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-12-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.