Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 06:17 PM

190 posts, read 211,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Austin is the quintessential Texas city, summing up the state better than any of the other cities. It could not exist elsewhere else. Anyone saying otherwise has probably never been to that city, and is filling the blanks with assumptions based on posts, blogs, and statistics. Austin is uniquely Texan.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Of the major Texas cities -- Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston -- Austin seems the most Texan to me as well and it wears it's Texan-ness on it's sleeve in a way the other's don't. I've always felt like Houston was the least comfortable in it's Texas skin, wanting to be seen as cosmopolitan and sophisticated, quick to boast of it's museums and it's classical arts, with it's sober, business first attitude, desperate to belong to the club of world cities. Houston is like the first kid in his family to go to college, pleading with his Texas family not to embarrass him in front of his new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Of the major Texas cities -- Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston -- Austin seems the most Texan to me as well and it wears it's Texan-ness on it's sleeve in a way the other's don't. I've always felt like Houston was the least comfortable in it's Texas skin, wanting to be seen as cosmopolitan and sophisticated, quick to boast of it's museums and it's classical arts, with it's sober, business first attitude, desperate to belong to the club of world cities. Houston is like the first kid in his family to go to college, pleading with his Texas family not to embarrass him in front of his new friends.
Yeah, no sarcasm, Austin is not the type of place to brag about it's worldliness and museums. The former is odd as a lot of celebs hang out there.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Austin is absolutely Texan. It is Texas spirit without religious conservatism. Everything else Texas is indeed present in Austin.
There is absolutely a Texas spirit and some western culture. it's just very live and let live, which isn't very Texan.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I argued this before, but wanted to repeat. Unlike states like Illinois and Nevada, Texas is not one dominated by a single metro, so I feel it is more important to compared Austin to its peers rather than random minor cities/towns in the rest of the state. I consider there to be six "major" metros in Texas, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, and maybe Hidalgo County, though that is the only one I've never been to, so that is based on population. I don't consider Austin "not Texan" because I don't seen any quality that is shared by the four or five other major metro regions but not by Austin. I see people try to say Austin is more liberal, but Austin is much more Democrat than it is Liberal (I mean, didn't the core city try to ban plastic bags at stores and put restrictions that pushed out Uber and Lyft?). Houston and DFW are moderate (no idea on San Antonio), but El Paso and Hidalgo Country are also very Democrat, if not more so, so that is hardly a deciding factor.
Banning plastic bags is very far left democratic. You understand liberal isn't libertarian right? Liberal is Bernie Sanders. Banning plastic bags, while good for the environment is very pink.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There is absolutely a Texas spirit and some western culture. it's just very live and let live, which isn't very Texan.
Western culture isn't part of Texas???

Old 06-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
If anything Houston despite being the largest city is the Texas outlier because it's the only big city of Texas that has a Deep South feel and connection. I think it's as far West as the Deep South goes. San Antonio would be where the Southwest begins.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Austin is the quintessential Texas city, summing up the state better than any of the other cities. It could not exist elsewhere else. Anyone saying otherwise has probably never been to that city, and is filling the blanks with assumptions based on posts, blogs, and statistics. Austin is uniquely Texan.

Even focusing on politics in that town is dumb. You could remove the voting patterns, as well as the fact that the capital is there, and the overall vibe, heart, and character of the town would remain unchanged.
I agree. Austin is "not Texas" to people hung up on thinking Texas is supposed to be Mississippi. It never was.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:44 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree entirely with you on this. Austin is not un-Texan. If it isn't of Texas, than neither is Dallas, College Station, or Houston.

People have to understand that a city that does not fit its state is not just a little different from other metros; it's VERY different. New York City and Chicago are the penultimate examples of a city that could be removed from its host state and be culturally independent.

Austin is not different enough from other Texas cities to be considered in this same league.
Couldn't agree more . The election results between Travis County (Austin) and Dallas County (Dallas) were pretty damn close. Trying to pull the political card just doesn't work in 2017 for the major TX cities -- they are way more alike than different. Dallas has joined Austin in the lawsuit against the sanctuary cities bill. Whether you agree with or not, is an opinion. But trying to paint Austin as "different" than the other major TX cities due to politics just isn't factually accurate anymore.

Houston is also rich in diversity. It's the 4th largest city as well. How in the world is that representative of stereotypical "Texas?" Some posters on here really are ignorant AF. I think they're simply trolling with their own alternative reality of things.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree entirely with you on this. Austin is not un-Texan. If it isn't of Texas, than neither is Dallas, College Station, or Houston.

People have to understand that a city that does not fit its state is not just a little different from other metros; it's VERY different. New York City and Chicago are the penultimate examples of a city that could be removed from its host state and be culturally independent.

Austin is not different enough from other Texas cities to be considered in this same league.
College Station? you have to be kidding me.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
College Station? you have to be kidding me.
I don't recall making a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.