Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of NW Ohio and Cincinnati always felt foreign to me. I don't know if I'd say it belongs in Kentucky but it definitely doesn't feel like the rest of the Ohio I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Basically not Miami?
The 3,000,000+ people in the Tamp Bay area may take exception with your lack of acknowledgement.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I have lived in Louisville and now am Cincinnati based.

Cincinnati is typical Ohio. Typical Middle America. The food, architecture, accents, beliefs, ethnic groups are very Midwestern. Nothing Kentucky about it at all. Very Ohio. And I lived in Louisville which is called an outlier as well. So if Cincinnati doesn't seem like even an outlier Kentucky city, it isn't very Kentucky at all.

Cincinnati is the Midwestern version of Pittsburgh basically. Just more Middle American in terms of everything. But not Kentuckian. Cincinnati people go to Kentucky and miss Ohio.
Cincinnati and Louisville remind me each other, Pittsburgh has become more of a destination for transplants than Cincinnati but I agree they are similar in some ways.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The 3,000,000+ people in the Tamp Bay area may take exception with your lack of acknowledgement.
Tampa is not Florida?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Cincinnati and Louisville remind me each other, Pittsburgh has become more of a destination for transplants than Cincinnati but I agree they are similar in some ways.
Cincinnati looks like Pittsburgh but it has an Ohio mindset.

Louisville and Cincinnati don't even look the same. Mentality between the two is different as well. Also Cincinnati's culture and history are not like Louisville's. Louisville doesn't have the same housing structure even.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm a native of NW Ohio and Cincinnati always felt foreign to me. I don't know if I'd say it belongs in Kentucky but it definitely doesn't feel like the rest of the Ohio I know.
By NW Ohio do you mean around Toledo?

I feel like anyone from the Great Lakes area of a state will always think southern locales in the same state seem exotic to them. Guess what? Cincinnati people think the same about you guys up that way. We say Cleveland and especially Toledo should be in Michigan next to Detroit.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
By NW Ohio do you mean around Toledo?

I feel like anyone from the Great Lakes area of a state will always think southern locales in the same state seem exotic to them. Guess what? Cincinnati people think the same about you guys up that way. We say Cleveland and especially Toledo should be in Michigan next to Detroit.
Ok but we "have" Toledo, Cleveland, Sandusky, Akron, Canton, Youngstown etc. It's hardly an us vs. them when the us is a bunch of cities and the them is one. Guess who's the odd man out?

I guess you can claim Dayton.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Cincinnati looks like Pittsburgh but it has an Ohio mindset.

Louisville and Cincinnati don't even look the same. Mentality between the two is different as well. Also Cincinnati's culture and history are not like Louisville's. Louisville doesn't have the same housing structure even.
I would agree with the first part not with the second part but I will agree to disagree here.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Ok but we "have" Toledo, Cleveland, Sandusky, Akron, Canton, Youngstown etc. It's hardly an us vs. them when the us is a bunch of cities and the them is one. Guess who's the odd man out?

I guess you can claim Dayton.
You realistically have Cleveland and Toledo. The other cities are basically attached to the metros around these. Come on now.

Is Columbus not representative of Ohio because it is sitting there kind of by itself?

Please explain why Cincinnati is "less Ohio" than your region.

Also Youngstown is culturally more in PA than in Ohio. They even share the western PA dialect

Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I would agree with the first part not with the second part but I will agree to disagree here.
All of the big 3 Ohio valley cities share similarities but they are their own animal. However Cincinnati is far more like Pittsburgh in terms of urbanization. Louisville honestly isn't that urbanized. My point is you can realistically put Cincinnati somewhere in the interior Northeast and few would notice. You can't do that with Louisville. You can place Cincinnati where St. Louis is and few would notice. Louisville can't realistically be placed anywhere in the Midwest except like far southern Missouri or Indiana (it kind of already is there anyway). You couldn't really put Cincinnati in Kentucky (Kentuckians even claim Northern Kentucky is too different).

My point is Cincinnati is a more typical American city where Louisville is very unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.