Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I noticed the accent in St. Louis is completely different than the rest of Missouri. The St. Louis accent is Northern while the rest of Missouri sounds Southern to varying degrees.
What you're hearing for the most part is a South Midland accent, not a Southern one. Only the southernmost portions of Missouri sound Southern. The northern half of the state sounds lower Midwestern. The southern half of the state is mixed between Northern and Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
St. Louis has always seemed to be an anomaly compared to the rest of Missouri. One of the reasons why the City of St. Louis split from St. Louis County in 1876 (AKA, "The Great Divorce" was partially due to the cultural contrast between the extremely urban city vs. the rural hinterlands of the county, which had more in common with the rest of the state before suburbanization took its hold in the area. Also, St. Louis always seemed to look to the East rather than the rest of Missouri.

New Orleans is actually somewhat of an anomaly in Louisiana, believe it or not. Much more urban and always had a more diverse range of people than other parts of the state.

Las Vegas vs. the rest of Nevada is a good one too.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Bakersfield, CA.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
1. Bakersfield CA (Oklahoma)
2. Portland OR has no business in OR.
3. Austin has no business being in TX.
4. Tucson
5. Las Vegas
6. Tulsa
7. Louisville
8 Miami/Tampa St. Peter

Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
I'm not buying Bakersfield. It's different from Coastal CA for sure! But inland CA is well-known for being conservative, closed-minded, more religious, etc. and more blue collar, with the heavy influence of farming from the Central Valley. Bakersfield is not that different from any other Central Valley city. Politically, most of inland CA is quite similar all the way from Imperial County in the south, through the Mojave, into the Central Valley, up to Redding, and over to the border with NV at most points. The counties trying to form the state of Jefferson along with southern Oregon have more in common with Bakersfield than they do with SF or LA. For that matter, I'd say SF and LA are actually the anomalies to California. Due to their populations, they overpower the inland conservative citizens, but geographically, most of the state of CA is just as backwards and conservative as anything you'd find in the south or Oklahoma...since many trace their ancestry to then.

I actually totally forgot about Portland. Definitely doesn't fit with typical Oregon.

A couple have mentioned Tucson. I see it as Arizona. No doubt in my mind. There might be differences between the two, and with Phoenix as well, but I still view it as Arizona.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm not buying Bakersfield. It's different from Coastal CA for sure! But inland CA is well-known for being conservative, closed-minded, more religious, etc. and more blue collar, with the heavy influence of farming from the Central Valley. Bakersfield is not that different from any other Central Valley city. Politically, most of inland CA is quite similar all the way from Imperial County in the south, through the Mojave, into the Central Valley, up to Redding, and over to the border with NV at most points. The counties trying to form the state of Jefferson along with southern Oregon have more in common with Bakersfield than they do with SF or LA. For that matter, I'd say SF and LA are actually the anomalies to California. Due to their populations, they overpower the inland conservative citizens, but geographically, most of the state of CA is just as backwards and conservative as anything you'd find in the south or Oklahoma...since many trace their ancestry to then.

I actually totally forgot about Portland. Definitely doesn't fit with typical Oregon.

A couple have mentioned Tucson. I see it as Arizona. No doubt in my mind. There might be differences between the two, and with Phoenix as well, but I still view it as Arizona.

Okies flooded into Bakersfield during the ( Dust Bowl & Great Depression ) and that is the reason why
Bakersfield CA has a " Huge " Population of Okies living within the cities limit.

Bakersfield CA is not like all of the other Big Valley Cities for the above reason , it's quite different to
the degree of it being ( A Semi-Oklahoman Type of City ) farther up the road Fresno has a little of that
VIBE also , my GreatGrandPa was a Black Okie that went out to Fresno CA to pick GRAPES during the
Dust Bowl Great Depression....

Tucsom fits along side of Alburquerque and El Paso more so than Phoenix , and that the reason
why I said it doesn't belong in Arizona....Arizona is very Conservative and Tucson Is Very Liberal
so that throws it off too , in as much as fitting into the State Of Arizona....

Last edited by Howest2008; 02-12-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA5 View Post
Miami and Tampa/St. Pete are quite different. I'd say Tampa/St. Pete is the stereotypical Florida coastal city, while Miami is a bit different. However, I'm torn between naming Tallahassee or Miami for the title of the city that doesn't fit in Florida- both for different reasons.

They are different , but i would say that JACKSONVILLE AND ORLANDO FIT THE PICTURE of a FLORIDA city a whole lot more than TAMPA ST. PETE......

Old 02-12-2016, 05:06 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Austin always seemed stereotypical Texan to me. It has the low taxes-low services, closest fit of a large city for "non diverse" (by Texas standards)* dominated by non-Hispanic Whites, urban sprawl, and car dependency. Austin doesn't stand out much compared to the rest of the major metropolitan areas of the Texas triangle, although it is more popular.

*Depends on who you ask. I've heard both extremes of this sort of stereotype for Texas, as both extremely diverse and extremely lacking in diverse.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I can easily name a couple: Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, some might even argue Cleveland although I disagree with this. Louisville even to a degree doesn't fit in with the rest of Kentucky because of it's being Catholic and its demographics consisting of large numbers of German Americans. Your thoughts of cities that don't fit in with their respective states?
Chicago and the surrounding suburbs are their own state...

Austin doesn't seem very Texas. Miami doesn't seem very Florida.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Tucson doesn't fit in with much of Arizona, since it is more liberal than most other cities in the state (with the possible exception of Flagstaff). Seems like it belongs in New Mexico.
I don't know, Tucson feels pretty Arizona like to me, although I can see where you might lump it in with New Mexico. I think Tucson feels extremely southwestern. Phoenix city proper leans more democratic than Republican by the way, it's just all the suburbs that are super conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.