Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
True, but Chicago is the dominant player in Illinois politics and culture. As goes Chicago, so goes the state. What I generally think of when I think of cities that don't fit with their state is situations like Austin. Austin is a liberal, funky, eclectic outpost of the Pacific Northwest in the heart of Texas. However, Austin doesn't come even close to dominating Texas politics and culture. In fact, most of Texas would not consider Austin to be true Texas culture.

Chicago on the other hand culturally dominates Illinois, even if it is very different from the rural downstate.
And yet, Austin is still more TEXAS than PNW by a longshot, and I don't think a bunch of west coast hipsters can change that. I asked my roommate, a true blue as a blue bonnet Texan, what city he thinks best represents Texas overall. My vote, from my experience is "Abilene," but he said "Austin." I brought up the transplants and the hipster-ness and he said "true, but still. It's the capital, home of UT/Longhorns. It's very much Texas." Can't really argue against that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well if we are talking politics and progressiveness I would say New Orleans vs Louisiana. I would also say Miami is very different(racially) compared to florida seeing as it's only 11 percent white, a large amount of Liberals live there, and over 60 percent of it's residents speak Spanish at home..very different compared to central, and north florida(even different from the tampa area I would argue).

Miami is not 11% white. It has about 70% white. Just cuz their last name is Lopez or Hernandez don't make them brown.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And yet, Austin is still more TEXAS than PNW by a longshot, and I don't think a bunch of west coast hipsters can change that. I asked my roommate, a true blue as a blue bonnet Texan, what city he thinks best represents Texas overall. My vote, from my experience is "Abilene," but he said "Austin." I brought up the transplants and the hipster-ness and he said "true, but still. It's the capital, home of UT/Longhorns. It's very much Texas." Can't really argue against that.
I agree with this sentiment. In many cases, the places with the most domestic transplants are usually the places that are more quintessentially representative of the states they are in, i.e., places the states are known for.

Example: Colorado. Places like Denver, Colorado Springs, Vail, Aspen, etc., are full of domestic transplants, and are better/more known in/out of the state. OTOH, cities like Pueblo, and towns in Southern/Eastern Colorado are more skewed towards native-Coloradans, but very few think of those places as particularly representative of Colorado (and not the one you see in postcards, generally).

I could make this same example with California (more natives found in the suburbs, in the Central Valley, and northern parts of the state) and Washington (more natives found in the lesser known rural areas).

Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This isnt a big one but Springfield, Mass feels like it should be in Connecticut. Very large Puerto Rican population (as opposed to Dominican/Salvadorian/Puerto Rican). Much more African American than any city other than Boston (most of the rest of the black population in the state is of Cape Verdean/African/Carribean descent). Very flat and spread out for a massachusetts city, muuuuuuch lower cost of living than Eastern Massachusetts. Uses Hartford for all their shopping and culture even has a decent amount of Yankee/Giants fans.
I'd agree. All of Hampden County actually feels like Connecticut. Holyoke is like a mini-Springfield. And Hampden County suburbs can be kind of (fiscally) conservative, unlike the rest of Western Massachussets, which is quite liberal.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
San Diego is basically an odd mixture of Miami, New Jersey, Minneapolis, L.A., and Tijuana on the Pacific. I honestly don't feel like it's very Californian because of the local culture; it's the most transient place I've lived anywhere in the world by far as it seems like absolutely nobody is from San Diego. I'm sure someone will profusely disagree, but that's my opinion and I'm absolutely sticking to it.

By contrast, I feel like I'm in California when I'm in Orange County, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Sacramento, Silicon Valley, Modesto, Stockton, San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, Anza-Borrego, Sonoma County, Mendocino County, etc. etc. Even in O.C., L.A., Silicon Valley, and S.F., other very transient-heavy locales, you can meet higher rates of people actually from California than in San Diego.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,154 times
san francisco

it's too elitist and progressive compared to most other cities and regions of california. non-californians might find that weird since san francisco influences the image of california to outsiders

Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Miami is not 11% white. It has about 70% white. Just cuz their last name is Lopez or Hernandez don't make them brown.
....?
70 percent of Miami does not identify as white, what on earth are you talking about.First off 11 percent is non hispanic white which is a fact and second off Miami is not just full of White hispanics, they have mixed race and Afro latinos also. I have a couple of Cuban friends from Miami and not one of them identifies as White American.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
....?
70 percent of Miami does not identify as white, what on earth are you talking about.First off 11 percent is non hispanic white which is a fact and second off Miami is not just full of White hispanics, they have mixed race and Afro latinos also. I have a couple of Cuban friends from Miami and not one of them identifies as White American.
Um, according to the 2010 Census, at least 70% of Miami is White. Non White Hispanics are not included, since people have the option fill in their race as well as "Hispanic or not." Being Hispanic does not make you *not* White/Black/Asian, it is just an additional descriptor.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Um, according to the 2010 Census, at least 70% of Miami is White. Non White Hispanics are not included, since people have the option fill in their race as well as "Hispanic or not." Being Hispanic does not make you *not* White/Black/Asian, it is just an additional descriptor.
I realize that....
You're right Miami is a white city..good lord give me a break.

Have you ever even been to miami?

(this was much earlier in the thread) My argument earlier in the threat was that it had a low non hispanic white population compared to the rest of the state. This is true and I'm not sure why the other guy is trying to argue that, it's a fact not an opinion. No one said anything about just plain white, I said non hispanic white.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I realize that....
You're right Miami is a white city..good lord give me a break.

Have you ever even been to miami?

(this was much earlier in the thread) My argument earlier in the threat was that it had a low non hispanic white population compared to the rest of the state. This is true and I'm not sure why the other guy is trying to argue that, it's a fact not an opinion. No one said anything about just plain white, I said non hispanic white.
I grew up in Miami, its is the whitest Hispanic major city in this country. No other heavily Hispanic big city is so white. You said white and were talking about race, not ethnicity. While Miami is very much different from most of Florida, it still is a city which belongs to Florida and I can't see it being anywhere else. What other state has such proximity to Cuba? If Miami was in California, sure in post cards it would fit in, but demographically? Miami has very little Mexicans. If it was in Cali it would be full of Mexican immigrants not Cubans. Geographically it's climate is practically tropical too. California is warm but its dry as well. Different types of flora. Miami is both distinct in Florida, but also unmistakeably Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.