Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That wasn't my experience living in the Cincinnati area for 22 years, but of course any post in this thread is going to be subjective. I'm not bashing Cincinnati -- I love the place, and hope to move back someday, but the prevailing attitude is that beyond the I-275 belt, there be dragons.
Ok but honestly if we look at what makes cities unique, Cincinnati is in line with most of Ohio where Cleveland isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM

159 posts, read 269,593 times
Philly is very different from the rest of PA.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Philly is very different from the rest of PA.
I don't think this is the case at all honestly. Most of the smaller cities in Southeastern and South Central PA (Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, etc) look and feel like smaller-scale versions of Philly.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think this is the case at all honestly. Most of the smaller cities in Southeastern and South Central PA (Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, etc) look and feel like smaller-scale versions of Philly.
To me those places have more in common with Pittsburgh and Baltimore than Philly.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
To me those places have more in common with Pittsburgh and Baltimore than Philly.
Do you care to elaborate?

I mean, I consider Philly and Baltimore to be pretty similar cities anyway - both are within the "rowhouse belt" which runs through the Mid Atlantic. I don't see anything in particular which makes Philly stand out from them except that it has more gentrification in its core around Center City.

Pittsburgh is a bit different again, but I really don't think it's that similar overall. We have plenty of rowhouses out here, but it's not like the urban core is almost entirely rowhouses like in the smaller cities of Eastern PA. We also don't really have a Latino population here to speak of.

The oddball PA cities are Erie (as was noted) and the Wyoming Valley cities like Scranton/Wilkes Barre. They look far more like New England/Upstate NY cities than the other cities in Pennsylvania.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Haven't been to any of those places, but Chester does evoke Philly in a couple ways.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I mean, I consider Philly and Baltimore to be pretty similar cities anyway - both are within the "rowhouse belt" which runs through the Mid Atlantic. I don't see anything in particular which makes Philly stand out from them except that it has more gentrification in its core around Center City.

Pittsburgh is a bit different again, but I really don't think it's that similar overall. We have plenty of rowhouses out here, but it's not like the urban core is almost entirely rowhouses like in the smaller cities of Eastern PA. We also don't really have a Latino population here to speak of.

The oddball PA cities are Erie (as was noted) and the Wyoming Valley cities like Scranton/Wilkes Barre. They look far more like New England/Upstate NY cities than the other cities in Pennsylvania.
Aren't only 8% of residences in Pittsburgh attached?

Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Really? Where are the significant numbers of Latinos in Pittsburgh or Baltimore?

Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Baltimore has and still is heavily based around industry, more so then Philly ever was. That's the case for a lot of south central PA towns. They where built up by industry during the industrial revolution. Also for lack of a better way of putting it, the attitude and demeanor of what people act like and the interest they have in those areas isn't similar to Philly at all, they are much more blue collor and generally more conservative, also soth central PA is mostly Steelers-Ravens country the Eagles are the 3rd favorite team in much of the region. York, Lancaster and Harrisburg all have row homes, that's really the only thing they have in common with Philly

Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Really? Where are the significant numbers of Latinos in Pittsburgh or Baltimore?
Don't see how that's relevant Philly doesn't have that big of a latino population either, outside of a few areas. York and Lancaster have almost always had a higher latino population then the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.