Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Salt Lake City is still affordable and definitely not politically conservative, in fact more the opposite. It has been strongly Democratic and quite progressive for many years now.
I knew a woman who lived there many years and told me unless you're Mormon, you're not well accepted at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Salt Lake City is still affordable and definitely not politically conservative, in fact more the opposite. It has been strongly Democratic and quite progressive for many years now.
SLC may seem "liberal" by Utah standards but is still the headquarters of the Mormon Church who dictates the laws of the state. SLC is small in comparison to the sprawled out conservative suburbs that surround it.

Boise, which has not been mentioned yet, would be a better choice as it is a Democratic hold out and doesn't have to deal with the laws imposed by a religion. Boise and SLC are only similar in the fact that they are the liberal Democratic cities in red states, but Boise is more liberal compared to SLC imo, and I've lived in both cities. Boise is also a better city for cycling and bike commuting when compared to SLC.

Boise is also a great city if someone is into outdoor pursuits which exist in city limits and outside of city limits would take more than a lifetime to explore.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWalder View Post
Have you considered Petaluma CA or more Northern CA than Redding? Auburn CA is a great place, Davis, Chico.

Sorry to say but those places you mentioned are not inexpensive. Not that they ever were, but in the last 5 years especially I am shocked over how much Auburn/Placer County has gone up.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I knew a woman who lived there many years and told me unless you're Mormon, you're not well accepted at all.
Well, I personally know many people in Salt Lake who are not Mormons who are very much accepted and would take issue with your friend. My husband and I (both LDS) lived in one Salt Lake City neighborhood and were never accepted by our neighbors (who were also LDS). Had we been non-Mormon, we might have just assumed that that was why our neighbors were all so unfriendly and standoffish. But we would have been wrong. I have concluded that, just as in all cities and in all workplaces, there are many factors that go into how friendly and accepting people are.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
SLC may seem "liberal" by Utah standards but is still the headquarters of the Mormon Church who dictates the laws of the state.
Did the Mormon Church dictate that the people of Salt Lake City elect as their mayor an openly lesbian woman who is married to her partner?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:27 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Northampton, MA

The berkshires are nearby.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:04 PM

210 posts, read 565,636 times
Albuquerque, NM!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 19,663 times
Duluth, MN if you can handle the cold.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Missoula or Bozeman.

Missoula. Not Bozeman.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I personally know many people in Salt Lake who are not Mormons who are very much accepted and would take issue with your friend. My husband and I (both LDS) lived in one Salt Lake City neighborhood and were never accepted by our neighbors (who were also LDS). Had we been non-Mormon, we might have just assumed that that was why our neighbors were all so unfriendly and standoffish. But we would have been wrong. I have concluded that, just as in all cities and in all workplaces, there are many factors that go into how friendly and accepting people are.
When I researched SLC and had similar concerns I formed the impression that non-LDS are comfortable in a very narrow section of SLC which just so happens to be more expensive than the average. And the farther one strayed from that area the more LDS influence there was. Because we weren't willing to spend a large portion of our income on housing in the area we'd feel comfortable we decided SLC would not be an option for us.

I'm sure you can explain the whole neighborhood block situation with leaders. I don't remember the terms. But how they organize community events and sure, all are invited, but not really welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.