U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 AM
JJG

13,589 posts, read 20,483,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
TCU (Texas Christian University) is the main attraction there.

How is that the least bit liberal?

Fort Worth is one of the top most conservative big cities in America period.
NEAR Southside....

I'm not denying that there's a bit more of a conservative side in Tarrant County, but take it from someone who actually LIVES in the city, there's more to what you see from a visit every now and then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM

12,510 posts, read 24,431,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
NEAR Southside....
How are you gonna call a city that still prides itself on cowboys & western culture as being "weird" or liberal?

You guys can't even have a gay bar there without it getting rounded up by the law.

Just because Fort Worth has an amazing arts district & urban downtown doesn't mean its some liberal haven...its far from it.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:28 AM
JJG

13,589 posts, read 20,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How are you gonna call a city that still prides itself on cowboys & western culture as being "weird" or liberal?

You guys can't even have a gay bar there without it getting rounded up by the law.

Just because Fort Worth has an amazing arts district & urban downtown doesn't mean its some liberal haven...its far from it.
Did I say it was liberal? NO. I said it's not as conservative as you or several other outsiders make it out to be.

I'm saying you can't tell what an ENTIRE city is by things you see or think you know. I've lived here my whole life and believe it or not, I've seen and grew up with just as much liberal ideals with conservative ideals.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 AM

6,052 posts, read 9,712,806 times
Your Knoxville sticker will read Keep Knoxville Scruffy. Is that close enough?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM

4,035 posts, read 9,786,710 times
My favorite is Fayetteville, Arkansas (University of Arkansas) "Keep Fayetteville Funky". My least favorite is Norman, OK (OU), there's is Keep Norman Normal.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,693,328 times
Is there a "Keep San Francisco smug, bitter and pissed off at SoCal" sticker?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,993,666 times
Sorta... http://desmoinessocialclub.org/wp-co...ster-Small.jpg

Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

4,795 posts, read 6,625,713 times
I'm not from Austin and don't really have a say in it, but I find it annoying me when other cities use the "Keep __ Weird" slogan. Create your own damn slogan.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,276,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Doesn't that just mean "Keep transplants (and other Texans) from ruining our culture"? It seemed so in Austin, TX.

I've never heard of "Keep Madison Weird", but they should get rid of that campaign since only the University area is that weird, unlike places like Portland, which seems like people are incredibly weird! Besides, I belive the Austin, TX campaign is there because Austin is a tiny "Blue" pocket surrounded by "Red".....so it feels threatened to lose its identity or culture all the time, whereas places like Madison are already in (historically) Blue states and aren't really in any danger of becoming conservative any time soon.

Can anyone explain clearly what "Keeping _____ Weird" is supposed to mean?
Many people interpret it now to mean Austin should try to retain its funky identity amidst change from transplants, but it originally was just a tongue in cheek way of saying "buy local." Don't shop at chain stores, shop at the local stores that, often enough, had "weird" branding.

All the other stuff (Keep Dallas Pretentious, Keep Houston Dirty) aren't really official marketing campaigns, but ironic/sarcastic satire on the city they're poking fun at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.