Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Smells along saltwater do seem to vary more than in other types of settings. I have lived near the Atlantic, in the Rockies, and now along the "Salish Sea", and there's no doubt that the air in the dry interior doesn't hold as much scent, normally. I am not counting forest fires!

The desert gains more smells immediately after rain, even only a little bit. Creosote in the Chihuahuan desert, sagebrush in the Great Basin desert immediately jump out from my memories. But most of the time, smells are not as noticeable. Same for pine forests in the Rockies. They just didn't smell as piney as they did in New England forests.

Moisture in the air explains a big part of the difference.

Back to the original question, though. I am extremely glad that one man's meat is another's poison. The prospect of even greater crowding in the popular areas is not attractive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM

32 posts, read 26,650 times
The smell of salty-sea I love... The smell of fish and ocean vegetation I hate. Though usually you only get that smell around bays or harbors.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
The smell of salty-sea I love... The smell of fish and ocean vegetation I hate. Though usually you only get that smell around bays or harbors.
Yeah, if the wind comes off the Strait of Juan de Fuca (barreling down from the Pacific) on a summer afternoon, it smells fresh, invigorating, and clean. The classic ocean smell most people like. I have never noticed odor from bull kelp, which is common along those shores.

OTOH, when the tide goes out in protected bays and coves where harbors are sited, the smell can be classic primordial ooze YUCK. Not always, thankfully.

Silty beach definitely gets that funk more than rocky or gravelly beach does.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Lots of stinky sea lions on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, though. They're cute, so that helps.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Lots of stinky sea lions on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, though. They're cute, so that helps.
You haven't lived until you kayak by a sea lion that suddenly barfs up a huge mess of bloody entrails. I would not have wanted to get a whiff of THAT.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I lived in Australia for a year, and Arizona always reminded me of that place. But I would never move to AZ, way too hot for me. It's why I left Florida.
It's too hot for me too, I understand haha.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
When i first went to Sedona i didn't even know that it was developed. I just assumed that it was protected land. I was shocked. And disappointed needless to say.
But still, the land is amazing ... stunning. And the light and colors of so much of the SW desert in both AZ and NM!
I'd live in the southwest again (i lived in Santa Fe for awhile) if i wanted to leave the coast but i cannot tolerate dry heat. And then when the wind blows .... too much. Hot, dry wind makes me seriously crazy. But i do love the SW.
Yes Sedona is mostly small town development. The town itself is mediocre however there is a lot of art there I recommend seeing. Sedona is a hippie-town and has some of the best SW art you'll find in the state, outside of the reservations (and a lot of people selling art surrounding Sedona are Natives, usually turquoise jewelry).

To be frank Sedona is beautiful but I only like to go in the fall. Sedona gets pretty amazing foliage for the state and with the red rocks it's quite the sight to see. It's also a lot less crowded than in the summer when Phoenicians are desperately trying to escape the heat, whereas in the fall Sedona is "cold" and a lot of them don't go.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Smells along saltwater do seem to vary more than in other types of settings. I have lived near the Atlantic, in the Rockies, and now along the "Salish Sea", and there's no doubt that the air in the dry interior doesn't hold as much scent, normally. I am not counting forest fires!

The desert gains more smells immediately after rain, even only a little bit. Creosote in the Chihuahuan desert, sagebrush in the Great Basin desert immediately jump out from my memories. But most of the time, smells are not as noticeable. Same for pine forests in the Rockies. They just didn't smell as piney as they did in New England forests.

Moisture in the air explains a big part of the difference.

Back to the original question, though. I am extremely glad that one man's meat is another's poison. The prospect of even greater crowding in the popular areas is not attractive at all.
Very true pikabike. It's what I think of California as. Once an amazing place, but now too many people. I am rather thankful that most people view my favorite areas as "wastelands" and "inhabitable" (which most people view the Interior West and Alaska as this, and they are my favorites, though the West as a whole is my favorite). Because it gives me more opportunity to enjoy them without excessive traffic. It also makes housing more affordable. Could you imagine if everyone thought like B.I.0.N.I.C. and no one lived in the Southwest, and everyone lived in the Southeast? Where would anyone get copper for the electricity in their houses The Southwest is also a huge potential area for solar farming, which could export electricity in the future, but right now it's still expensive. And the Southeast would be so developed that many of the forests he linked to would be small and overcrowded areas in comparison to vast urbanity. These expansive, beautiful SE forests would be littered with trash as well, cause honestly most humans don't care about that as much as they should.

And I love the smell of the desert after the rain... Hands down one of my favorite smells, and I bet all the deserts smell different.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM

102 posts, read 117,792 times
I don't really have a dislike for specific biomes or terrain features.

This might be too small, but I've never liked spanish moss. I know a lot of people think it's pretty, but I've always found it creepy

Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The ocean. It's a big, stinky, humid cesspool. See one of them once to check it off the bucket list and be done with it.
Well, the Atlantic and Gulf are different, and not in a good way. But going out west, a close family member recently bought an oceanside condo north of San Diego and he even admits that he is paying about $400K extra just for the ocean view. Not for me. The view is the same everyday and the salt water can be irritating, as do the cool, cloudy summers. However, winters are heaven on earth for the most part in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.