Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
It's pretty much a stretch to try and sell things like biodiversity and marine life as scenic anyways.
I was thinking the same thing.

But the poster is correct that the Southeast does have some things that the other regions do not have (as far as I know) like mangrove swamps and moss hanging from trees. Florida even has a small amount of coral reefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I'm absolutely certain that B.I.O.N.I.C. is the same guy who was arguing that the forests in the Southeast are, in fact, rainforests.
That's because he thinks coastal south is synonymous with southeast, as if the entire region is homogeneous. Maybe the coastal south 'is' the southeast in his opinion, and the rest of the south is lumped in with the boring white bread areas because of the deciduous forest further inland, away from the coasts.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've only experienced the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico and both of them had an odor.
The only odor I've ever smelled at the ocean was salt/maybe a fishy smell at low tide (which is normal).

If you're in a marshy or bay/lagoon area, those can have more of a smell that's maybe not always so pleasant. But if the ocean smells, you're probably in a polluted area. It's not supposed to smell bad. I've never experienced a bad smell, and I've been up and down the Atlantic coast from ME to FL, and been to the Gulf and the Mediterranean.

The ocean is beautiful. The sea glass, shells, cool rocks you find along the shore and in the surf and the marine life you will probably see all are a great part of the experience IMO. I love seeing dolphins, even whales occasionally, from shore, and little schools of fish swimming in the waves. I've seen stingrays, all kinds of jellyfish (though I avoid those!), and many kinds of crab in the water.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM

650 posts, read 868,461 times
Mountains. They scare me.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:30 PM

196 posts, read 198,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
you referred to people's preference and homes as wasteland and you think people were going to accept that? Pretty delusional.
Look at the title of this thread, then get back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
It's pretty much a stretch to try and sell things like biodiversity and marine life as scenic anyways.
Yes, but it can't be denied that biodiversity is part of what makes an ecosystem engaging to explore. The biodiversity seen in the South is just exudes a completely exotic atmosphere that can't be seen in the rest of the country, where the biodiversity is more typical and 'whitebread.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

But the poster is correct that the Southeast does have some things that the other regions do not have (as far as I know) like mangrove swamps and moss hanging from trees. Florida even has a small amount of coral reefs.
And coral reefs can also be found in a cluster just off the coasts of Texas and Louisiana; one is just a boat ride away from Galveston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's because he thinks coastal south is synonymous with southeast, as if the entire region is homogeneous. Maybe the coastal south 'is' the southeast in his opinion, and the rest of the south is lumped in with the boring white bread areas because of the deciduous forest further inland, away from the coasts.
Not necessarily, even the deciduous forests in the South don't look 'whitebread' compared to those in other parts of the country, because the forests still have things like palmetto understories, yellow pines, broadleaf evergreens, tropical epiphytes, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Mountains. They scare me.
This scares you? It's absolutely beautiful view of Rocky Mountain national park near Estes Park in Colorado.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
ravines annoy the hell out of me, as do trees that are leaning excessively

Old 02-22-2016, 01:53 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Such a sad thread, I'm repeatedly "wowed" by all types of nature.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Such a sad thread, I'm repeatedly "wowed" by all types of nature.

Me too!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
This is the only handicap the South has compared to the West in terms of allowing for biodiversity, and even with such handicap, the South still is the most bio-diverse region of the US, in terms of total species richness. Imagine if the South had every nook and cranny of land filled with varied topography, just like the West Coast; then it would beat the West in biodiversity by astronomical proportions, the scale would be blown..
Gimme a break. What's your point? If the US West Coast was 1,000 miles south, it would beat the South in biodiversity by astronomical proportions, as you say.

Only problem is that the West Coast not moving anywhere and mountains aren't sprouting up in the south anytime soon. Is this what your resorting to now? What if's? The rest of your post was just opinionated fantastical generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.