Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post

Deserts can't really support life, and, thus, there is no need to go to such places. Even landscapes as boring as the Great Plains are more supportive of life, and useful to humanity.
"Covering 120,000 square miles of southwestern Arizona, southeastern California, and the Mexican states of Baja and Sonora, its mountains, rivers, and canyons provide luxurious habitat for numerous unique species specially adapted for heat, aridity, and intense summer monsoons. More than 100 reptiles, 2,000 native plants, 60 mammals, and 350 birds call this desert home, not only surviving here, but thriving — as long as their habitats remain intact."

There. You've been proven wrong. Again. You may go home now.

Sonoran Desert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
I

Even a snooze-fest like the Great Plains is at least useful to humanity, with fertile soil for great agriculture, presence of majestic life forms (Bison, Pronghorn, etc), etc. The desert doesn't even offer that; only the Polar/Subpolar climates are more useless.
You do realize the soil here in AZ is good for planting stuff like cotton, citrus, lettuce, grapes, etc? Betcha didnt know that either.

We also have a large population of bighorn sheep, black bear, bobcats, bald eagles, mountain lions, etc, right here in the low deserts. Those are all pretty majestic if you ask me! There you can even head a bit up north in the *gasp* desert and find elk, too.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You do realize the soil here in AZ is good for planting stuff like cotton, citrus, lettuce, grapes, etc? Betcha didnt know that either.

We also have a large population of bighorn sheep, black bear, bobcats, bald eagles, mountain lions, etc, right here in the low deserts. Those are all pretty majestic if you ask me! There you can even head a bit up north in the *gasp* desert and find elk, too.
It's not worth it Big Cats. He's waiting for someone to argue with him. He's a lost cause and won't see logic unless he can somehow twist it towards his bias.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Not a fan of swamps. Humidity, huge bugs, yuck!!!

Not a fan of the desert either. Hot, brown, lack of vegetation, lack of wildlife (unless you consider tarantulas, scorpions and mouse sized cockroaches wildlife). Hot, hot hot, yuck!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM

196 posts, read 198,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Not a fan of swamps. Humidity, huge bugs, yuck!!!

Not a fan of the desert either. Hot, brown, lack of vegetation, lack of wildlife (unless you consider tarantulas, scorpions and mouse sized cockroaches wildlife). Hot, hot hot, yuck!!!
Look at what you have done? You have spoken negatively about the desert. Expect a brigade of butt-hurt posters from the desert to swarm you about the richness in life the Sonoran supposedly has.

Last edited by B.I.0.N.I.C.; 02-24-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
It's not worth it Big Cats. He's waiting for someone to argue with him. He's a lost cause and won't see logic unless he can somehow twist it towards his bias.
Yep. I'm fairly certain he's never been to a desert in his life and is informed only by video games, internet, apocalyptic memes, et al.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
To get back to the OP, many natural features wow me, but I don't want to live in or near all of them.

There is a difference.

As one example, temperate rain forests are spectacular with all their many shades of hanging, dripping greenery at all heights. But I don't like being in them for much time.

Different strokes etc.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM

144 posts, read 184,810 times
Quote:
Deserts are basically wastelands.
Yup. I live in Phoenix and although the sunshine's nice, I can't wait to move to somewhere that doesn't feel too much like an oven 3/4 of the year. Ah, and the Grand Canyon didn't fascinate me much.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:07 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I think the prairie. And i'd go insane if i had to live on the prairie. Especially when it's windy.
And swamps. I've never been and i never want to go. Swamps freak me out!
i feel that way about the prairie. i couldn't live there, and the vast, open space started started to freak me out after a while. i find swamps interesting, but not a big wow.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:45 PM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
To get back to the OP, many natural features wow me, but I don't want to live in or near all of them.

There is a difference.

As one example, temperate rain forests are spectacular with all their many shades of hanging, dripping greenery at all heights. But I don't like being in them for much time.

Different strokes etc.

That's what I was going to say. Redwood forests and deserts wow me, but I don't want to live in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.