Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
theres nothing smelly about the beautiful Atlantic either...just smells like clean salty ocean
I haven't yet seen the Atlantic. I'll report back when I do, for now I'll take both of your words for it.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:54 AM

196 posts, read 198,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
So i take it you do not like deserts?
Ah, pity, you don't know what you're missing. Expansive, powerful, awe-inspiring, magical, mystical, beautiful, subtle, sublime.
Beauty, et al is in the eyes, heart, soul, spirit of the beholder.
And I don't care to know either. What more can a desert offer, other than barren hellscape, dust, desertion, and famine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Never been a fan of thick and densely forested landscapes. Though the Pacific Northwest evergreen forests are sometimes nice in their own way, but most of the woodlands back east are just meh.... for me. They block out the views, the light, sunsets, and sky, I appreciate more wide open horizons and vistas. They tree canopy just looks all the same to me state after state from Massachusetts, to Maryland, to the Carolinas, just ehhh... woodlands.

Now put me on a beach or waterfront in front of a large body of water back east, and I'm usually pretty pleased or even impressed, because it usually has a nice view, breaking up the monotony of the woodlands.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:05 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Beaches and Oceans are going to have a small smell; what else do you expect to smell?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Never been a fan of thick and densely forested landscapes. Though the Pacific Northwest evergreen forests are sometimes nice in their own way, but most of the woodlands back east are just meh.... for me. They block out the views, the light, sunsets, and sky, I appreciate more wide open horizons and vistas. They tree canopy just looks all the same to me state after state from Massachusetts, to Maryland, to the Carolinas, just ehhh... woodlands.
1.)So are the PNW forests not closed canopy? Because they look very dense, enough to block out what you say you like.

2.)The Southeastern forests are in a warm, humid climate regime, and tree diversity will be high, and the ecology more complex. Thus, you will likely see many new things in such forests to keep the excitement. In contrast, the Northeastern and PNW forests are in cooler climate regimes, and thus the ecology is less diverse/complex; the forests would be more boring, even monospecific at times.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:27 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
1.)So are the PNW forests not closed canopy? Because they look very dense, enough to block out what you say you like.

2.)The Southeastern forests are in a warm, humid climate regime, and tree diversity will be high, and the ecology more complex. Thus, you will likely see many new things in such forests to keep the excitement. In contrast, the Northeastern and PNW forests are in cooler climate regimes, and thus the ecology is less diverse/complex; the forests would be more boring, even monospecific at times.
theres nothing boring about the forests of the N East ..they are just as complex as SEast forests. The forests in the NE are constantly changing throughout the year..more drastcally than Southern forests. You can walk the same trail in all 4 seasons and it would look and feel diferent each time. ..different views, different foliage, colors, different animals,different smells...

Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
theres nothing boring about the forests of the N East ..they are just as complex as SEast forests. The forests in the NE are constantly changing throughout the year..more drastcally than Southern forests. You can walk the same trail in all 4 seasons and it would look and feel diferent each time. ..different views, different foliage, colors, different animals,different smells...
They are not. Biodiversity and ecologic complexity ∝ warmth and wetness, and the Southeast is warmer and wetter than the Northeast.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I think the prairie. And i'd go insane if i had to live on the prairie. Especially when it's windy.
And swamps. I've never been and i never want to go. Swamps freak me out!
Yep different strokes. I like the idea of life on the prairie in an old farmhouse...preferably on the outskirts of a decent sized city. But then again, that's how I grew up.

I don't really like forests, especially heavily wooded mountains/hills like the Appalachian or in the Upper Midwest. A log cabin in the woods does nothing for me...

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Yep different strokes. I like the idea of life on the prairie in an old farmhouse...preferably on the outskirts of a decent sized city. But then again, that's how I grew up.

I don't really like forests, especially heavily wooded mountains/hills like the Appalachian or in the Upper Midwest. A log cabin in the woods does nothing for me...
Although I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm not a fan of prairies visually, after spending most of my life in the N.East and California, the idea of life on the prairie with miles of grassland and no people sounds pretty sweet sometimes

Old 02-18-2016, 01:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
List of things I hate

1. The rain and sunny weather
2. The beach and mountains
3. The city
4. The countryside
5. Everything about you

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.