Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

I picked brutal winters as the worse though I have never experienced much if any winter weather [frost doesn't occur in Los Angeles]. But if I had to stay indoors non-stop and then only be able to stay a few minutes outside due to the potential of frostbite I would be very unhappy. Brutal summers are a ***** but at least you can go outside after sunset & just wear shorts & flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I picked brutal winters as the worse though I have never experienced much if any winter weather [frost doesn't occur in Los Angeles]. But if I had to stay indoors non-stop and then only be able to stay a few minutes outside due to the potential of frostbite I would be very unhappy. Brutal summers are a ***** but at least you can go outside after sunset & just wear shorts & flip flops.
Being born in a cold place(Illinois), I was never raised there long enough to get used to it and came up in an area where the heat was intense enough during most of the year to make anything below 50 degrees nauseous.

That said, I'm quite effective up to 130 degrees, but have experienced cold (-10) weather bad enough to make me hurl and put me out of commission for a few days.
OTR trucking tends to expose you to a variety of extremes.
Luckily, you were out of it within a matter of hours or days.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM

172 posts, read 414,471 times
I have lived with both and I say screw it - I am planning on living someplace with neither (once we finally get to chose where we live again). The older I get the more I reject the cold.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
What exactly are the "extremes".

I mean Chicago is COLD for 3 months of the year, "changing" for 3 months of the year, and then 60's-80's the other 6 months of the year.

How long is the "brutal" part of the oppressive heat/humidity down south/southwest? 3 months like the cold of the Midwest?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
I've lived in a brutal summer city (Miami, FL) and a brutal winter city (St. Paul, MN). I much prefer the brutal winter city.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Don't believe people who tell you you have to stay inside during the winter in cold weather cities. I live in St Paul and am out every day, as are most other healthy (non-wimpy) people.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerfromfriends View Post
Why does it have to one extreme or the other?????????
Because that's the topic of this thread.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't believe people who tell you you have to stay inside during the winter in cold weather cities. I live in St Paul and am out every day, as are most other healthy (non-wimpy) people.
I agree, if that is what you like.
The same goes for warm weather cities.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Being born in a cold place(Illinois), I was never raised there long enough to get used to it and came up in an area where the heat was intense enough during most of the year to make anything below 50 degrees nauseous.

That said, I'm quite effective up to 130 degrees, but have experienced cold (-10) weather bad enough to make me hurl and put me out of commission for a few days.
OTR trucking tends to expose you to a variety of extremes.
Luckily, you were out of it within a matter of hours or days.
Cold weather makes you hurl? For real? Never, ever heard of this; certainly not as any kind of sympton of hypothermia. Must be miserable.

Hurling IS associated with heat stroke...

...now, the thought of shoveling snow makes me WANT to hurl, but that's another issue...

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
But if a person isn't covered up from head to toe during sub-zero temps they will get frostbite pretty quick. Walking outside on a summer day in Phoenix\ Las Vegas\ Palm Springs will be very uncomfortable also & potentially dangerous for some people. But once the sun sets even if it is still hot the comfort level goes up. There are outdoor restaurants in the Southwest that have sprinkler systems of very fine water sprayed down over the eating area. It can be quite comfortable even in 95F heat once the sun sets.

In brutal winters a person can't go outside for more than a very limited amount of time & never at night. In brutal summers a person can at least go outside at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.