Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times

Advertisements

I would imagine extreme heat is much harder on people in general, let alone the elderly... Extreme cold is different it's not like you're going to have a stroke or anything, and the only real thing you have to worry about is staying out too long and getting frost bite, but theres a solution for that I call gloves and a hat.

One really bad thing about winter and seniors is ice, which is dangerous for anyone... but I guess as long as you make sure the sidewalk is salted, you're fine there too.

So: Heat is worse imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
i would DEFINITELY take a brutal winter over a brutal summer, where I live now, this past summer was absolutely BRUTAL, it got over 100 degrees like 16 days in August, like 43 people died during this heat wave, absolutely horrible, too all those people who say the heat dosen't kill ya, this pretty much proves you wrong, more people die beacuse of heat than because of cold.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
for a retired person,I would say winters are worse.

In a summer,regardless how hot and humid, you will always be able to get to your appointments. In winter,there are many days the roads may be slippery or it is too dangerous to be out driving due to low temps.( speaking of retired people)

Many,many car accidents happen in winter that are listed as--"weather related"

I have yet to hear of "weather related" due to the heat of summer.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM

I have ,also, never heard of freeways or highways being shut down due to heat.
Despite this being a mild winter, freeways and highways have been shut down due to snowstorms here in Minnesota.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Winter can be hard on the joints, but in summer sometimes older people (especially the poor, or if there's a power outage) die of heat stroke.

Really, it probably depends on the person's specific needs. Cold can be hard on you, but so can constant heat. However, if the power goes out or you're stuck without heat/air conditioning, I'd think that the cold would be easier to deal with. Unless in a really cold climate, you could probably survive by bundling up a bit, whereas in extreme heat, there's only so many clothes you can take off and so many pools you can swim in.

For me, personally, it's easier to sleep when it's really cold and I have a couple blankets, socks, and a sweatshirt on than when it's really hot and I'm sweating with no covers on.

The cold can be uncomfortable, but I think in extreme situations the heat can be more deadly.

We lost power for about 12 hours last week when the temp outside was in the 20s. We stayed at a family member's home (she had power), but it was probably a good thing it was winter. Although it was dark and uncomfortable, the food in our fridge didn't spoil.

Here it occasionally gets in the single-digits in winter (usually 20s and 30s, though) and in the summer it gets up into the 90s sometimes.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I lived in both extremes.

Back in the north east you had the black ice and snow storms. School and work was missed. Accidents everywhere. Once the snow was a day or two old it would turn black and unsightly. You had to put every peice of clothing on from your closet just to go out and get the mail.

Now I suffer through summer heat that exeeds 120 for weeks. Nevermind what the national weather tells you. In Las Vegas the official weather is taken from one of the coolest areas in the valley. Whatever you hear on TV you can add 5-6 degrees. 3 straight months in the one teens. Let me tell you......116 is hot even if it is a dry heat.

You can not walk the dog during the day. You have to use your shirt to grab the car door handle. If you lean into your truck bed and your shirt bottom rolls up you will burn your belly. I know many construction workers who have a burn line across thier belly button area. The sun is so intense that it will melt the corneas in your eyes into liquid.

The payback? In Jan and Feb, Nov and Dec when the rest of the country is burried in snow, we are outside today in shorts.

When I stay in my place in south Texas I have no problem with the humitity. I at least have the lake across from me. I know most people hate humitity though.

What is better, extreme summer or winter? I dont know.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM

189 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Here in Rapid City we get the worst of both. 110 degree highs in summer and -20 in the winter. At least it's not humid here. Sioux Falls is much worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
At least you can always bundle up for the cold. You can only dress down so far in the heat before it's a crime!
AGREED !!! I moved back to NE last March, had no problem with the blizzard and cold. But last summer was torturous for me, way too hot and humid.
This winter, I noticed I rarely zip up the coat until it gets below zero. (well it can get a little warm when wearing 'thermals', all them layers)

As far as for senior citizens, the severe seasons must have some health benefit- note longer life expectancy and more centenniarians from plains states.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I have Scandinavian ancestry so I definitely dislike the summer heat and humidity with a passion.
I enjoy colder weather and snow much better. The wind can be a little tough to handle, but the cold air is not.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 AM

another is energy costs
Since the OP was comparing extremes-------it costs me less money to cool my house about 30 degrees when it is hot outside (100) than it does to heat my house 90-100 degrees when it is -20 to -30 outside.

I constantly hear about how the federal govt should be helping poor people with their heating bills.

I have never heard the same appeal to help poor people with their cooling bills.

Must be a reason for that.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I'll take my chances with the cold (and having lived in and around Chicago for 30+ years, I know about cold). I've visited the southwest during the summer once, you can keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.