Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 07:07 AM

253 posts, read 123,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It’s about 50/50 in my experience. A good portion of the housing stock in “cold” areas is a good 30-50 years older than the housing stock in warmer areas. Older houses are obviously going to be lacking modern features that better handle extremes.

A well-maintained older home can certainly stand up to the elements and any older home can be equipped with modern heating/cooling systems. Since older homes are typically found in neighborhoods with mature trees, the house is provided with shade during summers so the A/C doesn't have to work so hard. New homes in new subdivisions are often sitting out there alone under the hot sun. My own home is from 1920 and still has the original -and well maintained - windows and storm windows - and they still provide good protection against winter cold. I have no reason to replace them and the products available these days (unless very high-end) just don't have the look and stamina to last more than a couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 07:47 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
I’ve done both. Brutal winters are far, far worse, IMO.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
The key word is "brutal." LOL I'd rather it be brutally hot than brutally cold outside. To me, that translates to anything over about 95 degrees and anything under 32 degrees! During the day that is.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:31 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The key word is "brutal." LOL I'd rather it be brutally hot than brutally cold outside. To me, that translates to anything over about 95 degrees and anything under 32 degrees! During the day that is.
I wouldn't call 95 or 32 brutal at all but ESPECIALLY 32! 32 is the bare minimum for ice to form. 100 is the threshold for brutal for heat and 0 for cold. 32 is more pleasant than 95 for me but it also depends on the time of year. 95 is nice in July... not so much in October and certainly not in January. 32 is too damn cold for July, pretty chilly but doable in October and where I live... balmy in January lol But even Texas gets way below 32 in most of the state.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:31 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The translation is important too. 95 and 32 is kind of being generous to brutally cold. I think a lot of people would pick the 32, even though you would still pick hot.

My translation would be 100f brutally hot 0f brutally cold. I would pick hot

Old 05-30-2023, 09:33 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Definitely 100 over zero, if I have to be outside. Not sure 100 over 32 though.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:08 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The translation is important too. 95 and 32 is kind of being generous to brutally cold. I think a lot of people would pick the 32, even though you would still pick hot.

My translation would be 100f brutally hot 0f brutally cold. I would pick hot
Yea 32 is not even close to brutal cold. Even my Floridian family can handle 32 lol.

Both 0 and 100 can be miserable but under the right circumstance... they can be enjoyable.

100 at a beach or pool is not bad at all. You're cooling off in the water anyway. But 100 in traffic with no working AC? (Me in Denton, TX August 2016... 103 actually.. ugh) is miserable. Having to wait for a bus in that heat or having to work outside is miserable.

Likewise with 0. Doing most things out in 0 degrees isn't enjoyable either... but if you dress right and its pretty outside, its not that bad. Right before Christmas we had a snowstorm at 0. (Rare to see such heavy snow in such low temps) and right in the evening I went for a walk in the snow around and on a frozen lake where I like to go ice skating. I had Christmas music playing on my phone, Xmas lights were on, people were jogging, x-country skiing. Lake wasn't cleared for skating, sadly, but the snow was falling heavily and I was bundled up all nice and cozy and you know it didn't even feel all that cold. Best of all... it was a true winter wonderland. I am a sucker for an old fashioned Christmas vibe. In the right environment with the right mindset, its not even all that bad. I have experienced days that were much warmer but far more bitter due to either wind or dampness.

With that said I'll still normally take 0 over 100 in terms of comfort. You can dress for it. I have done yardwork in extreme heat and shovelled snow in extreme cold. In both cases I actually ended up sweating lol But you can cool off in the cold

Old 05-30-2023, 10:13 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Brutal summers are definitely worse IMHO. In the summer there is tons of yard work to do. In winter, there’s little reason to be outside unless it snows. Even then you don’t have to go out for that, you hire someone to remove it. It’s cheaper to hire someone to remove snow several times a year than paying someone every week to cut grass and maintain your property. Plus it’s pretty easy to put on additional layers to keep warm. You can only remove so much clothes but there’s nothing left to remove. Jay

Old 05-30-2023, 10:28 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
I might get a little irritated at a little snow in April or a jacket in May, but I get over it real quick when reminiscing about southern summers.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:13 AM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
You can STILL do things in hot summers (i.e. go to the pool, stay in the shade, etc.) but when it's negative digits outside, the roads are frozen over, and you risk frost bite...you are limited in what you can actually do.

Las Vegas is regularly 1xx degrees and that doesn't stop people...not does it stop Americans from visiting HOT Italy, Spain, etc. in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.