Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
This country is so lazy that snow shovelling has become a hardship...

At least you can remove snow from your driveway. You can't remove humidity from the air outside. The bugs are worse in the heat as well. Even up north. Mosquitoes have been awful and its not even summer yet, but down in Florida, they are pretty much a year round thing, getting only slightly less worse during the winter.
Lazy maybe. But having spent my first 37 years in places which either only sees snow on tv or in real life maybe once per year, it just seems like this extra, unnecessary chore since I only know climates where this isn’t a thing. I did a bare minimum of shoveling, especially since I injured my shoulder doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 09:55 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
This isn’t true. Summers on the Oregon coast are generally very dry. Though there might be some fog or overcast.

Brookings reported precipitation on 16 days last July and 19 days last August. Of course, most days it's not much at all, which is why it looks dry in statistics, but that's just how it is on the coast. Even on the SoCal coast which I'm quite familiar with, you can get that cloud cover with drizzle in summer.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I will sum it up (for me)

"I want to go back, to the islands
Where the shrimp boats are tied up to the piling
Give me oysters and beer
For dinner every day of the year
And I'll feel fine... I'll feel fine.
Yeah now the sun goes sliding across the water
Sail boats they go searching for the breeze
Salt air it ain't thin
It can stick right to your skin, and make you feel fine
Makes you feel fine."

Old 05-30-2023, 10:37 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Like a homeless cat I hate the cold
I much prefer the heat

The blistering sun never gets old
It beats frostbitten feet.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:39 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
totally disagree here. Jumping in a cool swimming pool... or cracking open and drinking a cold beer... the hotter outside the better.

Now walking around on a dry concrete pool deck? A completely different story.

It depends on where you are, too. In some places, temps over 105 or 110 are worse than others. For example I would rather have it be 115 in Las Vegas than Minneapolis. In Vegas, they are built for that heat, and its the desert. Over here... 115 would not only be record heat, it would wreak havoc on our vegetation and wild life. Heat like that messes up fish in the lakes. It would wilt all the flower. So somewhere thats more lush and temperature, mid 100s would be the hottest I would care for. Places like the desert that are already hot and dry are accostumed to such harsh conditions. I doubt 115 would impact a cactus the same way it does a birch tree.

As far as comfort... for swimming I think 85-95 is the sweet spot. Sure, I would obviously take 100+ or even 110+ for swimming over like... 60 lol But think of the before and after swimming. Plus, with temps that high, the swimming hole is more likely to be crowded. Nothing worse than a pool or lake that has TOO many people.

Hot concrete and hot sand are no fun, and I also hate most flip flops cuz they cut up my feet between the toes lol.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:46 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Lazy maybe. But having spent my first 37 years in places which either only sees snow on tv or in real life maybe once per year, it just seems like this extra, unnecessary chore since I only know climates where this isn’t a thing. I did a bare minimum of shoveling, especially since I injured my shoulder doing it.
I mean, you live in Western New York. The snow you get out there is astronomical and very wet and heavy. That's a different story. I would definitely invest in a snow blower if I lived where you do. I want one in Minnesota but my current property has a small driveway and only the east side has a sidewalk so its not worth it until I get a bigger home. Snow blowers are fun to use.

Out here, the snow is usually more dry and powdery. I don't mind shovelling such snow, though its not as fun when it gets deeper than several inches... its just a thing you do. In the warmer months, we have to put on bug spray, cut the grass, etc. In the fall, we have to rake leaves (well you don't HAVE to... I like to make a big pile to throw my dog in lol) which I find pleasant. Shovelling is a good work out. Its not always fun, but, a lot of heat related chores are also not fun. I would rather shovel snow than mow lawn. I wasted oil and gas recently on a mower that won't start so now we got an electric one that has battery issues. Blah! Maybe I should buy a goat!

Old 05-31-2023, 10:07 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
90 degree summers are so much worse than 20 degree winters.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
There is a good reason why snow blowers were invented, and most people that live in areas that regularly get snow buy one.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
90 degree summers are so much worse than 20 degree winters.
Cleveland is mostly pitch dark, damp, and overcast much of the time during winter, I prefer drier air with colder temperatures and deeper snow, off Lake Superior. At least there with the cloud cover you have consistent deeper snow cover.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:14 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
This country is so lazy that snow shovelling has become a hardship...

At least you can remove snow from your driveway. You can't remove humidity from the air outside. The bugs are worse in the heat as well. Even up north. Mosquitoes have been awful and its not even summer yet, but down in Florida, they are pretty much a year round thing, getting only slightly less worse during the winter.
You took that way too personally.

I prefer heat, you prefer cold. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.