Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2023, 02:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times

Advertisements

One other important thing to remember is that snow removal is really only a problem for people who live in single-family detached houses. If you live in a condo, townhome, or apartment, you will never need to shovel unless you have a car and park on the street (most multi-family buildings will have dedicated underground/indoor garage parking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 02:18 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Why the obsession? It's three months of either generally speaking although there's a tendency for "summer" to last more than three months in Sunbelt areas (FL, TX and AZ for instance). With that as a consideration it would seem the truly bad month to six weeks of winter is much more manageable.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:33 PM

38 posts, read 22,690 times
Winter (or any cold) is much worse. How many different problems and hassles do you experience from heat compared to cold? Feeling hot? Compared to feeling cold it's much more preferable to me. There's an endless amount of things I don't like about living in a place with cold weather. One is feeling all warm and uncomfortable whenever I go from outdoors to indoors or in a car since I'm all bundled up. Just having to bundle up every time you want to go outside for any amount of time sucks bad. Then having to lug around a coat and layers of clothing when you take them off indoors. Major hassle.

The second of many reasons is I prefer when other people aren't all bundled up. Humans are a kind of beautiful art, and it's just an instant buzzkill for me to see them looking so unnatural. Also the heat selects for in shape people much more than the cold does. Just telling it how it is.

There's just too many reasons why cold is much worse than heat. Dark days, car problems, only indoor exercise, dry skin, dirty ugly snow, gloves and hat etc. sucks bad, worse nightlife because temps keep dropping at night, snow hassles, more flu/colds around, flora looking barren, less wildlife sightings, less summer blockbuster movies.

Less sports outside, worse sunsets and sun rises, no open windows, more dangerous driving/walking, less tan skin, less stargazing, less gardening, less ice cream etc, no swimming, more luggage packing, no outdoor dining, no rain to clean cities off, less Vitamin D, more people in worse moods, shorter days, less activity outside, less events, less fresh produce. It really doesn't end for me..

Old 05-31-2023, 02:50 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesport550 View Post
Winter (or any cold) is much worse. How many different problems and hassles do you experience from heat compared to cold? Feeling hot? Compared to feeling cold it's much more preferable to me. There's an endless amount of things I don't like about living in a place with cold weather. One is feeling all warm and uncomfortable whenever I go from outdoors to indoors or in a car since I'm all bundled up. Just having to bundle up every time you want to go outside for any amount of time sucks bad. Then having to lug around a coat and layers of clothing when you take them off indoors. Major hassle.

The second of many reasons is I prefer when other people aren't all bundled up. Humans are a kind of beautiful art, and it's just an instant buzzkill for me to see them looking so unnatural. Also the heat selects for in shape people much more than the cold does. Just telling it how it is.

There's just too many reasons why cold is much worse than heat. Dark days, car problems, only indoor exercise, dry skin, dirty ugly snow, gloves and hat etc. sucks bad, worse nightlife because temps keep dropping at night, snow hassles, more flu/colds around, flora looking barren, less wildlife sightings, less summer blockbuster movies.

Less sports outside, worse sunsets and sun rises, no open windows, more dangerous driving/walking, less tan skin, less stargazing, less gardening, less ice cream etc, no swimming, more luggage packing, no outdoor dining, no rain to clean cities off, less Vitamin D, more people in worse moods, shorter days, less activity outside, less events, less fresh produce. It really doesn't end for me.
You just provided many of the opposites attached with summers, especially extended ones in warmer states.

Car problems, only indoor exercise unless up/out at 5am, no open windows, only lightweight clothing (forget dressing up), UV exposure is much more heightened/unhealthy, hot weather in general is more stressful to the body, no outdoor dining, people are hot and grumpy, no farmers markets, drought conditions hinder health of lawns and plantings, less activity in general outside and much the same for a lot of wildlife. Many "up north" think a Sunbelt lifestyle resembles the vacations spent here lounging by the pool, but the reality is not even close.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You took that way too personally.

I prefer heat, you prefer cold. Good for you.
Gimme a break. Anytime anyone mentions preferring cold to heat y'all always go "BuT aTlEaSt We DoN't HaVe To ShOvEl SnOw!" I'm simply stating that shovelling snow is not the mind numbing torture you guys always make it out to be. Its a chore you do. As if there's no chores to be done in the extreme heat. Yep... that grass will cut itself in the 99 degree heat doncha worry about it!

Old 05-31-2023, 03:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesport550 View Post

Less sports outside, worse sunsets and sun rises, no open windows, more dangerous driving/walking, less tan skin, less stargazing, less gardening, less ice cream etc, no swimming, more luggage packing, no outdoor dining, no rain to clean cities off, less Vitamin D, more people in worse moods, shorter days, less activity outside, less events, less fresh produce. It really doesn't end for me..
Dark days is more of a problem in places with warmer winter. True harsh winter climates, unless they're up in the arctic, tend to have lots of sunshine. Winters here in MN are more bright and sunny and even on overcast days, the bright snow makes it look less grim than in milder brown places.

Car problems are overexaggerated. There's less problems nowadays with newer cars. Maybe on the really frigid days you may need a jump start every now and then. Sometimes someone has a crappy battery and the cold just makes it worse but they should get a new one anyway. You gotta obviously make sure you got good tread on your tires but I have fish tailed in a heavy rain storm so traction matters even in warm climates. The main thing is you will need a few car washes to prevent rusting. Oh well. Maintenance. Its part of life. Its not this huge suffering you guys allude to.

Dirty snow is more a city problem. Plenty of hot climates esp dry ones have lots of pollution. The pollution is there whether you see it or not.

Flora looks barren in winter but it will come alive in spring and summer. I personally love the look of bare branches in winter. I like that it doesn't look the same every month. That is boring and monotonous. You also don't need harsh winters to get bare foliage. I would rather have consistent snowpack to go along with it.

What's great about cold winter climates is they have 3 other beautiful seasons. I lived in FL and there wasn't any seasons to appreciate.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:01 PM

38 posts, read 22,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You just provided many of the opposites attached with summers, especially extended ones in warmer states.

Car problems, only indoor exercise unless up/out at 5am, no open windows, only lightweight clothing (forget dressing up), UV exposure is much more heightened/unhealthy, hot weather in general is more stressful to the body, no outdoor dining, people are hot and grumpy, no farmers markets, drought conditions hinder health of lawns and plantings, less activity in general outside and much the same for a lot of wildlife. Many "up north" think a Sunbelt lifestyle resembles the vacations spent here lounging by the pool, but the reality is not even close.

Let me list what you said

Car problems and hassles in the heat more compared to cold- You kidding?

Only indoor exercise in heat- What about at night? Can't do that in the cold. Either way is better than with a coat, gloves, hat etc. Plus working out in the heat accomplishes more.

No open windows in heat- Why not? Car windows? Summer breeze?

Only lightweight clothing in heat- That's very much preferable to me and I like lighter clothing on other people too.

Can't dress up in the heat- And why is that? I dress up more at night when it's cooler out and I'm not really spending a lot of time outdoors anyways when I'm dressed up, day or night. Plus people are dressing more and more casual as the years go by anyways. And no coat yippie.

UV exposure is much more unhealthy- Much more unhealthy is a huge stretch. Do I really have to list all the benefits of heat and the negatives of cold on the body and mind?

Hot weather in general is more stressful on the body- They both have bad effects on the body if you don't know what you are doing. What about the mind? My mind prefers heat much more because of all the reasons in my other post above. It all adds up.

No outdoor dining- Why not? Much easier to use fans to cool off then to have to use crappy heat lamps while balancing your coat and layers at the table. How about at night? Most of my outdoor meals are at night. Isn't that when most people eat dinner?

People are hot and grumpy- Maybe the people you hang around with, my people prefer The Heat.

No farmers markets in heat- Compared to when it's cold out? Good one.

Drought conditions hinder plants- If your living in a drought zone I suggest you try to move asap.

Less activity outside in heat- Have you ever even been in cold weather? Unless you're talkin NYC, which is still untrue. You might see people on the street there but they aren't interacting as much and are much less vibrant and hurrying in the cold.

Less wildlife when hot out- Yea maybe if you live in the desert. Tropical is the opposite.

Another reason why the heat better is because most people are usually inside at work during the hottest part of the day anyways. In the cold by the time you actually get off work and ready to do anything the temps are just plummeting already. It's a joke to even have to deal with that and have to try to race the thermometer. Temps dropping at night when it's hotter out is always something to look forward to when you get off work. In the cold it's the opposite.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Why the obsession? It's three months of either generally speaking although there's a tendency for "summer" to last more than three months in Sunbelt areas (FL, TX and AZ for instance). With that as a consideration it would seem the truly bad month to six weeks of winter is much more manageable.
Month to six weeks is mighty conservative of an estimate.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Gimme a break. Anytime anyone mentions preferring cold to heat y'all always go "BuT aTlEaSt We DoN't HaVe To ShOvEl SnOw!" I'm simply stating that shovelling snow is not the mind numbing torture you guys always make it out to be. Its a chore you do. As if there's no chores to be done in the extreme heat. Yep... that grass will cut itself in the 99 degree heat doncha worry about it!
Great. You can do the chore and I won’t worry about it. All is as it should be.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Who is cutting grass when it’s 99 degrees out? Even in the summers in DC (notorious), mornings are in the high 60s/low 70s. So I just adjust and do my daily walk in the mornings and evenings and stay inside from 12-5pm. It gets dark at 8-9pm, so it easily doable.

In the winter, I can’t even go outside and my local gym smells like ass, mold, and hand sanitizer. I hate every second of winter.

Thankfully, I can tolerate above 50, so it’s really only in January where highs stay in the 40s and I’m forced into the rancid chambers of my apartment complex’s “luxury gym.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.