Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2023, 05:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
That was kinda the point I was making. If we assume 70-72 is the perfect temp, it only gets 50 degrees warmer in extreme cases, even in hot weather cities. While, it often gets 50 degrees cooler in cold weather cities.
70-72 is a pleasant temperature for the vast majority of people, including cold lovers, but its definitely on the warmer side of things so 50 degrees warmer is extremely hot. A better comparison would be 0 to 100 not 22 to 122.

Also you're proving the point that cold is better to deal with because 50 above 72 is unbearably hot and 50 under 72 is cold but manageable.

You would have to get to around -40 F to compete with 122 in terms of extremity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
Not compared to snowbelts of northern Michigan. Colder there but you get a fraction of the snow.
We still get more snow than most of the country. Once you cross a foot, its a ton of snow anyway. We are part of "snow country" if not the "snow belt."

Old 06-13-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, but in practice hot weather is less common than cold weather. In a city like Atlanta it only gets above 90 like 45 days per year. That's a day time high, so morning and night temps are better. But in contrast in a cold city like Minneapolis there are 72 days on average where the temp never gets above freezing, let alone night time temps.

Or to put it another way, Atlanta is above 85 degrees for about 6 hours of the day across 2 months, while Minneapolis is typically below freezing for 24 hours of the day across 3 months of the year.
Atlanta is fairly mild for being in the South, when it comes to heat. I would compare Minneapolis to Dallas and Atlanta to Boston.

Not sure what you mean by hot weather being less common? Most of the world outside the poles experiences hot and warm temps but a lot of places don't experience cold, especially freezing temps.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:13 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Getting warm here, but at least I won’t have to shovel it….
Mowing, shoveling, whatevering…
It all evens out.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:18 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Minneapolis is freezing in the winter but gets hot in the summer. It's actually hotter this week in Minneapolis than in Atlanta.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:07 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
90 deg F, 90% humidity. About right .

Old 06-14-2023, 06:44 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Long winters seem more prevalent than long summers

Old 06-14-2023, 06:54 PM

253 posts, read 122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Minneapolis is freezing in the winter but gets hot in the summer. It's actually hotter this week in Minneapolis than in Atlanta.
Most of the daytime humidity lately has been less than 30%. That is very comfortable.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:41 AM

41 posts, read 77,300 times
Big question: Is your mental health affected by lack of sunshine??

I grew up in Ontario and the Great Lakes region. As an adult, I lived in various places, including southwest Florida. I would HANDS DOWN choose brutal summers over winters 100%. Going 8+ months with short days that are typically dreary... absolutely soul-sucking. You can get out of the oppressive heat. You cannot escape lack of sun.

Brutal winters also carry the constant threat of bodily injury. Walking from your car into the grocery store... slippery parking lot. Wet, slippery floors inside. Sun goes down, and the slush turns back into ice. Take the dog out, and constantly walk with baby steps, to avoid more slips. And because the weather is so miserable, people often become very isolated. If you run into a neighbor or acquaintance, you can't just stand around and chat without freezing to death. There's a reason animals up north hibernate all winter!

Good luck to you, wherever you end up!

Old 06-15-2023, 07:32 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_st_croix View Post
Big question: Is your mental health affected by lack of sunshine??

I grew up in Ontario and the Great Lakes region. As an adult, I lived in various places, including southwest Florida. I would HANDS DOWN choose brutal summers over winters 100%. Going 8+ months with short days that are typically dreary... absolutely soul-sucking. You can get out of the oppressive heat. You cannot escape lack of sun.

Brutal winters also carry the constant threat of bodily injury. Walking from your car into the grocery store... slippery parking lot. Wet, slippery floors inside. Sun goes down, and the slush turns back into ice. Take the dog out, and constantly walk with baby steps, to avoid more slips. And because the weather is so miserable, people often become very isolated. If you run into a neighbor or acquaintance, you can't just stand around and chat without freezing to death. There's a reason animals up north hibernate all winter!

Good luck to you, wherever you end up!
Many people have Vitamin D deficiency and take no supplements in the winter. I discovered many years ago that it makes a night/day difference and getting outside in the winter and doing this outdoors is the key in the Great Lakes region. I take vacations to the Lake Superior Snowbelt in the winter to enjoy all the excellent dry powder snow, far better than the nasty freeze/thaw slop conditions found further to the south that is not enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.