Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 04:01 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Mowing, shoveling, whatevering…
It all evens out.
And I'd rather shovel. We went weeks without a working mower recently. Tried weed whacker... grass was too tall and wrecked the strings. Old mower was leaking sludge. Ended up getting an electric one from a friend's dad but had to order a charger for it. At least a shovel is something simple to deal with and you don't do a whole yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 02:57 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
It's easier and better to tolerate the heat, brutal winters require more attention and it impacts you in more ways. No one has to shovel sun. Sun doesn't ice bridges or wear roads the same way.

As someone who just recently spent some weeks in AZ, the heat exaggeration is gross lol. A non factor, especially if you already were fitness oriented and drink lots of water anyway.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:23 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
It's easier and better to tolerate the heat, brutal winters require more attention and it impacts you in more ways. No one has to shovel sun. Sun doesn't ice bridges or wear roads the same way.

As someone who just recently spent some weeks in AZ, the heat exaggeration is gross lol. A non factor, especially if you already were fitness oriented and drink lots of water anyway.
Who hasn't gotten a severe sunburn from the sun? Some people I know have gotten 2nd degree burns. Sun stroke and heat stroke, anyone? I had family members hospitalized from too much sun when visiting Florida. How about melanoma? That seems to occur a lot, especially among older people. Ever get burned on a hot object in your car or outdoors? Lose objects melted when left in the car? How about car interiors cracked and/.or melted, or paint jobs bleached? Ever left plastic storage cases outdoors for a season and have them shatter later as the sun makes them brittle? And this is "normal" stuff - there is also damage to roads and bridges from expansion, drought and dryness effects on plants and foundations, wildfires due to dry climates, power grid failures due to high a/c demand, sometimes resulting in deaths, plus all of the standard overheating deaths of people and animals yearly in hot cars, or homes without a/c. The sun is something to avoid in a brutal summer, cover yourself up, run from a/c to a/c.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:29 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Some Texas cities had heat indexes around 100 at 10 pm at night. Don’t even need the sun to be hot

Old 06-18-2023, 09:07 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Some Texas cities had heat indexes around 100 at 10 pm at night. Don’t even need the sun to be hot

Texas summers can be like a perfect storm, the high temperature totals of the West combined with the high humidity of the East. You got the steaming Gulf to the south and the desert to the West.

Some of the highest dew points ever recorded occurred in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The steaming Red Sea to the East, the scorching Arabian deserts to the West. Now this place makes Houston or Dallas seem downright mild in comparison, but Texas probably has the most similar setup to it of any place in the U.S.. But for what it's worth like 4 million people live around Dhahran, just like Texas's population keeps growing, so it's clearly workable for most people.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:34 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Texas summers can be like a perfect storm, the high temperature totals of the West combined with the high humidity of the East. You got the steaming Gulf to the south and the desert to the West.

Some of the highest dew points ever recorded occurred in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The steaming Red Sea to the East, the scorching Arabian deserts to the West. Now this place makes Houston or Dallas seem downright mild in comparison, but Texas probably has the most similar setup to it of any place in the U.S.. But for what it's worth like 4 million people live around Dhahran, just like Texas's population keeps growing, so it's clearly workable for most people.
Yes and it was raining in Dallas and Austin. And still hot! Like how!?!?

Old 06-18-2023, 11:11 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes and it was raining in Dallas and Austin. And still hot! Like how!?!?

The storm did lower the temperatures significantly for a brief time (from 91 to 74 in 20 minutes) but they went right back up to 83 within the next 2 hours (and this was at night). If the prevailing airmass is hot and humid then even these storms are just bringing brief temporary cooldowns.

Also to correct myself, I erroneously said the Red Sea is near Dhahran in my previous post, but it's actually the Persian Gulf. Not that it matters a huge deal.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Looking at the weather in Texas lately makes me appreciate our winters more. At least you can dress for -10.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
I saw some meteorologist predict that nearly all of the eastern US will experience dew points above 70 at some point over the next week.

As someone who hates humidity, that sounds miserable!! Here on the west coast, if the dew point goes above 55 I will start complaining.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Looking at the weather in Texas lately makes me appreciate our winters more. At least you can dress for -10.
Totally.

I’m 300% convinced between the harsh cold and harsh heat I’ll take cold. I even made a list (lol):

1: heat gets you dehydrated easier than cold. Cold is irritating but you’ll be warm once you get more clothes to cover.

And for fashion point of view, winter outfits can be very stylish and beautiful. I used to have Hitchcock heroine leather riding gloves, Russian style hat and really warm Scottish tartan scarves when I lived in NYC. (I am not talking about Northface and Uggs.)

2: heat, in many cases comes with scorching hot sun, damages the skin so much more than cold. Everyday we have to make sure my daughter gets SPF 50 sunscreen 30 mins before she goes out or swims, and must re-apply every two hours. Have to negotiate with her to wear hats. Must buy swimsuits that are long sleeved and high neck to cover her up. Once she’s home from outing in the sun, must apply aloe Vera to sooth the sun damage. Then we buy the cold stick roller thing to put in the freezer to massage the skin/net because I’ve only seen too many people with fried, wrinkly and dry overly tanned sun-damaged skin.-the whole daily procedure is exhausting!

Her alabaster skin is too beautiful to get damaged by sun.

3: per ob/gyn, women living in hot, humid climate have to be extra careful with feminine hygiene as it’s prone to have bacteria infection so no extra tight pants/undergarments and always make sure to keep great personal hygiene.-I don’t hear doctors warning me about living in cold weather. (This one is the deal breaker along with the sun damage part.)

4: very hot weather tends to get you sort of drowsy, lethargic, heat coma and just prone to lounge around (to me anyway.) my Dad always said “why do you think the word “siesta” comes from?!” when we were little. Tropical climate also tends to breed many strange bugs/insects/wild life, dry or humid,

5: food tends to get rotten quickly in very hot climate, therefore bacteria hazard. (deal breaker for me too.)

Between the annoying cold and annoying hot, I’ll take annoying cold that made my face and hands purple and my feet frozen. I’ll rather get a cold or bronchitis than bacteria infection and fried Tanned Mom skin.

ETA: didn’t even add that houses in the very hot, humid climate are more prone to have mildew/mold. Another deal breaker.

Last edited by achtung baby; 06-28-2023 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.