Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 09:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
If you have access to air conditioning, brutal winters are worse and it’s not even close.

I used to live in Central Texas and I’d run sprints in 95 degree heat every summer. It was a bit uncomfortable, but very manageable. Definitely worth it to be able to avoid a real winter. You can still go outside and do plenty of activities during the summer, you just have to take a few extra precautions and battle being slightly uncomfortable sometimes.
95 is one thing.

What Texas is dealing with now is a whole different level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 10:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 569,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
all the cats in the neighborhood are all scattered under trees and bushes .
We called that “safari”, our 4 cats did that. Lol. It’s been so hot they didn’t even last for 10 mins outside in the yard. The moment they came home they sprawled out on the floor looking like they just had all night binge drinking. We had both central a/c on upstairs and downstairs and specifically had the fan directly at them because even the a/c wasn’t enough. (Btw, the best and strongest fan one can get now is Pelonis that you can get on Amazon. Life-saving.)

Despite the crazy Texas weather I‘ll always love Houston. Our kitties have a blast here. We have a blast here too.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:23 AM

193 posts, read 152,056 times
The summers in Texas are the worst. You pretty much can't be outside during the day from May-Oct. I've never lived in a place with really harsh winters, but in DC where I grew up, when it got cold, you could still be outside as long as you were bundled up.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 569,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Love the reference to Hitchcock and I'm picturing the style of the many "cool blondes" who were leading characters in his movies. You are correct that outerwear suited for cold weather can be very stylish. I think the 1950's in NYC was the golden era for "style", IMO.

Lastly, I agree about northern winters (yes) vs. southern summers (nope).
Growing up I must have watched The Birds and Marnie about 31 times. You can’t go wrong with Hitchcock.

The riding gloves are timeless and classic. Winter style inspiration is also very Doctor Zhivago, wool/cashmere cape, and yes 1950’s NYC. I drew a lot of inspiration from British menswear with plaid, tartan, pageboy cap, trench coat, Wellington boots (“wellie”), Hunter boots, equestrian style, Chelsea boots (on both men and women), navy blue merino (or mohair) wool v-neck sweater, black turtleneck sweater (my staple, totally early Beatles or faux-intellectual 1960s hipster) lightweight cashmere in beige/navy blue/black/white……winter clothing is more fun than summer outfits. You get to layer, play with texture, colors and materials.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:28 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
95 is one thing.

What Texas is dealing with now is a whole different level.
Yea Texas is overheating currently/recently. Heat index over 115 degrees right now in Houston.. That is whereit starts to get too brutal to go outside at all. Normal 95 summers are't that bad. It's 93 here today and it's not bad. The air quality is just awful unfortunately

Old 06-29-2023, 11:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yea Texas is overheating currently/recently. Heat index over 115 degrees right now in Houston.. That is whereit starts to get too brutal to go outside at all. Normal 95 summers are't that bad. It's 93 here today and it's not bad. The air quality is just awful unfortunately
That is a 10 degree mistake.

The heat index in Houston right now is 105 degrees. https://weather.com/weather/today/l/...6af7b10b3a1148

Still hot but 115 is dangerously hot and wouldd blow past a record for houston

Old 06-29-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That is a 10 degree mistake.

The heat index in Houston right now is 105 degrees. https://weather.com/weather/today/l/...6af7b10b3a1148

Still hot but 115 is dangerously hot and wouldd blow past a record for houston

38c with 40% rh is a heat index of 110f. So I guess we can meet in the middle.. I thought it read 39c when I checked earlier with 40something humidity which would make it 114f+ heatindex

Old 06-29-2023, 02:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

38c with 40% rh is a heat index of 110f. So I guess we can meet in the middle.. I thought it read 39c when I checked earlier with 40something humidity which would make it 114f+ heatindex
AccuWeather has been weird all day. Look it up anywhere else.

115 heat index would be an all time record for Houston so it would definitely smash daily records for today.

I am not sure if AccuWeather uses a different location than the others (bush vs hobby etc) but

weather.com has a max heat index of 107:
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/...6af7b10b3a1148

National Weather Service has 105
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...2=-95.3867&e=1

Click2Houston has 107 https://www.click2houston.com/weather/

[b]KHOU[b] has 107
https://www.khou.com/weather

ABC13 has 106
https://abc13.com/weather/

Fox26 has 105
https://www.fox26houston.com/weather

The 1 to 2 degree difference among all of these are understandable, but a 10 degree mistake by AccuWeather has made me question whether their sources are different from everywhere else. AccuWeather is supposed to be the most accurate source so I am stumped as to why it is 10 degrees different from everywhere else

Also, have you noticed the sensational news stories lately? No doubt about it Texas has been hot but the portrayal of it has not been factual.

For example, one says that Houston may break the June record this year for most days in triple digits, but Houston has not hit triple digits once this June.

Another said Houston will be worse next week with every day peeking in the 100s. But the entire state will be cooler next.

Again, there is no sugarcoating this heat, but geez the heat is bad enough, there is no need for these headlines to exaggerate.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:35 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
90, 95, 100, 105..doesn't really matter. I mean it's hot. What are you going to do? Well, I can tell you what you definitely won't be doing - shoveling snow, worrying about icy or snowy roads, de-icing your windshield, putting chains on your tires.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
90, 95, 100, 105..doesn't really matter. I mean it's hot. What are you going to do? Well, I can tell you what you definitely won't be doing - shoveling snow, worrying about icy or snowy roads, de-icing your windshield, putting chains on your tires.
I disagree it starts to matter a lot once you get up there. 105 vs 115 is not the same as 95 vs 105 nevermind 65 vs 75 or 45vs 55(barely noticable difference). Cold temperatures have a lot more runway than hot ones for not really mattering. If comfortable is 75f lets say... 125(75+50) degrees is lethal conditions, 25 degrees(75-50) is entirely unremarkable winter weather. Of course it's only because of the mitigations techniques. If you remove clothing and other heating methods from the equation, 25f becomes lethal cold as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.