Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 01:02 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

And if we're going to bring up ice skating as evidence that winter and summer outdoor activity is equal, then we also need to bring up all the advantages warm weather has in addition to the higher pedestrian and cycling counts we already know we observe during the summer months.

Outdoor summer concerts
Music festivals (i.e., Lollapalooza, which happens in August, not January)
Swimming pools
Art walks (happens in Minneapolis in August)
Diner en blanc
Outdoor day parties
Nighttime rooftop bars

These things are not mutually exclusive. It's not like you can't go bike riding and also go on an art work or go ice skating and walking. So why would ice skating reduce average daily pedestrian counts on a walking trail in Duluth from 700+ in July to just 3 in January?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 01:05 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Ask everyone from Texas if they prefer it over 100 or below zero. They have had both the last couple of years.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
In my experience, Minnesotans are more active and do more outdoor activities in the winter than people down south do in the summer.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:35 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ask everyone from Texas if they prefer it over 100 or below zero. They have had both the last couple of years.
To be fair, their electrical and natural gas distribution infrastructure are poorly-winterized piles of crap. If the temperature drops below freezing for more than 48 hours the grid crashes.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't find it to be brutally cold until it gets well below -20F if there is no wind. If there is wind than that is an entirely different answer, probably less than 10F.

I hate any high temperatures above 85F with humidity. Any low temperatures above 70F are nasty.
LOL I find any temps below freezing to be "brutal" and I'm fine with heat and humidity. I live in NE Texas and I don't even get hot till it hits around 95!

Old 07-30-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I choose "neither." However, it does regularly get over 100 degrees (like it is right now) but here in NE Texas, the winter of 2021 was an anomaly. Our usual lows in the depths of winter here are rarely below about 26 degrees and are usually above freezing, generally around 38 degrees.
https://weatherspark.com/y/9352/Aver...e%20100%C2%B0F.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
To be fair, their electrical and natural gas distribution infrastructure are poorly-winterized piles of crap. If the temperature drops below freezing for more than 48 hours the grid crashes.
See above post. The lows are typically above freezing and even if they go below freezing, it warms back up to above freezing in a few hours. February 2021 was very unusual.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So pointing out activities that can only be done during the winter, and posting a video of 4 people skating on a trail, somehow refutes the argument that outdoor activity in the winter is nowhere close to what it is in summer?

You have no empirical evidence and basically have to resort to stuff like this. If the argument is that YOU prefer colder weather, then that's your opinion and no one can argue with that. If the argument is that cold weather has little to no impact on outdoor activity, then that's blatantly false, as the data shows that pedestrian counts plummet with cold weather. And to be clear, the number of people walking and cycling on any given day far exceeds the number of people ice skating.
Of course cold weather has an impact on outdoor activity. Of course there are fewer people out walking and doing "summer stuff" in the winter. My point was that cold weather outdoor activity doesn't all grind to a halt, it just changes. Just because walking trails are less full, doesn't mean that many people aren't off doing other things outdoors.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Of course cold weather has an impact on outdoor activity. Of course there are fewer people out walking and doing "summer stuff" in the winter. My point was that cold weather outdoor activity doesn't all grind to a halt, it just changes. Just because walking trails are less full, doesn't mean that many people aren't off doing other things outdoors.
And many people are staying indoors to escape the cold. Or, my personal favorite, bundling up and going out and then either carting a coat and scarf and hat and mittens or gloves around, or burning up somewhere. No thanks.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And many people are staying indoors to escape the cold. Or, my personal favorite, bundling up and going out and then either carting a coat and scarf and hat and mittens or gloves around, or burning up somewhere. No thanks.
The cold isn't even that cold once you get used to it though. 25 degrees in Minnesota doesn't feel as cold as what you would think. 25 degrees in the upper midwest is not the same as 25 degrees down south. And there are plenty people who stay inside during extreme heat in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.