Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 02:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And if we're going to bring up ice skating as evidence that winter and summer outdoor activity is equal, then we also need to bring up all the advantages warm weather has in addition to the higher pedestrian and cycling counts we already know we observe during the summer months.

Outdoor summer concerts
Music festivals (i.e., Lollapalooza, which happens in August, not January)
Swimming pools
Art walks (happens in Minneapolis in August)
Diner en blanc
Outdoor day parties
Nighttime rooftop bars

These things are not mutually exclusive. It's not like you can't go bike riding and also go on an art work or go ice skating and walking. So why would ice skating reduce average daily pedestrian counts on a walking trail in Duluth from 700+ in July to just 3 in January?
You are mixing up the comparisons - you are comparing summer vs winter in the same cities. The comparison here is brutal summer cities vs brutal winter cities.

Most "brutal winter" cities have awesome summers, with all of the above activities. In my experience, the summer activities available and participation levels in "brutal winter cities" far exceed activities of "brutal summer cities" in any season of the year. Of course, some brutal winter cities have periods of brutal summer weather, but those are usually short lasting (as I sit outdoors enjoying my 74 degree late afternoon). Autumn is celebrated while it's still blazing hot in "brutal summer" cities, and even in December there are multiple outdoor Christmas festivals, markets, and activities that bring people out. Everyone loves snow in December (at least up until Christmas day).

"Brutal summer" cities may have moderate winters, but many winters are rainy, gloomy, and often see cold and freezing weather. Many revert to bare trees, foliage, and brown grass. And those cities don't come alive in winter like "brutal winter cities" do in summer. No music festivals, too cool to swim, short winter days, kids still in school. In many ways the "brutal summer cities" shut down almost as much in winter as "brutal winter cities."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 03:10 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
You are mixing up the comparisons - you are comparing summer vs winter in the same cities. The comparison here is brutal summer cities vs brutal winter cities.

Most "brutal winter" cities have awesome summers, with all of the above activities. In my experience, the summer activities available and participation levels in "brutal winter cities" far exceed activities of "brutal summer cities" in any season of the year. Of course, some brutal winter cities have periods of brutal summer weather, but those are usually short lasting (as I sit outdoors enjoying my 74 degree late afternoon). Autumn is celebrated while it's still blazing hot in "brutal summer" cities, and even in December there are multiple outdoor Christmas festivals, markets, and activities that bring people out. Everyone loves snow in December (at least up until Christmas day).

"Brutal summer" cities may have moderate winters, but many winters are rainy, gloomy, and often see cold and freezing weather. Many revert to bare trees, foliage, and brown grass. And those cities don't come alive in winter like "brutal winter cities" do in summer. No music festivals, too cool to swim, short winter days, kids still in school. In many ways the "brutal summer cities" shut down almost as much in winter as "brutal winter cities."

It depends what you consider 'brutal summer cities'. I don't think it holds true for AZ, FL or CA, but even New Orleans has a major winter event with Mardi Gras, and I believe Vegas is a major tourist attraction in winter as well.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:22 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
I think you guys are having a hard time with the FACT that pedestrian counts in nearly all U.S. cities with "cold" winters have depressed pedestrian counts during the winter months. NYC is a pretty good measure of this effect since we get ridiculously hot and humid heat waves in the summer but also get pounded by Nor'easters in the winter. December, January and February consistently register the lowest pedestrian counts in Times Square.

https://www.timessquarenyc.org/do-bu...estrian-counts

So it's not a matter of what any one individual prefers. I'm saying that cities are almost always more vibrant during the summer months than during the winter months. And if you like outdoor vibrancy, and really feed off of that, then a long and harsh winter probably isn't for you.
Not every time needs to be vibrant lol I like that things get a little quiet in the winter. As an introvert, constant crowds are exhausting. Speaking of, me and my husband's ten year dating anniversary is next January and I am thinking a trip to NYC Sounds like a great time to visit. Subway stations should be a lot cooler lol

Old 07-30-2023, 04:30 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It depends what you consider 'brutal summer cities'. I don't think it holds true for AZ, FL or CA, but even New Orleans has a major winter event with Mardi Gras, and I believe Vegas is a major tourist attraction in winter as well.
For the tourist cities and where snowbirds congregate, I agree.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:48 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
No, you just decided to ignore all my other posts.

Quote:
We can also see how hot weather affects outdoor activity in places known for having scorching summers.

https://mobility.tamu.edu/bikepeddata/

Pedestrian and cycling counts on the Katy Trail in Dallas, TX peak around Memorial Day weekend. But they don't collapse in July/August the way cycling counts do in St. Paul in the dead of winter. January in St. Paul has about 8% of August's cycling traffic whereas July on the Katy Trail sees about 60-70% of May's pedestrian/cycling counts.
What part of this post makes you think I'm not comparing "brutal summer cities" to "brutal winter cities?

Quote:
In many ways the "brutal summer cities" shut down almost as much in winter as "brutal winter cities."
Only that's not true as pedestrian and cycling counts in Dallas, Miami and New Orleans don't tank nearly as much in the summer months as counts do for the Twin Cities in the winter months.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
In my experience, Minnesotans are more active and do more outdoor activities in the winter than people down south do in the summer.
There is one trail in Duluth that sees 748 pedestrians per day in July and only 3 in January. The places you're familiar with in the South must have 0 people outside because it's difficult to register fewer than 3 pedestrians per day.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
These posters are relying on anecdotes. I don't care how you feel. What does the data say?

Hot weather depresses pedestrian counts in Dallas, Miami and New Orleans. But we see about a 40% reduction in volume compared to peak whereas the Twin Cities see about a 90% reduction compared to peak during January. There is a much more significant decline in pedestrian and cycling counts in Minnesota during winter than there is in "brutally hot" cities during summer.

Does this mean NOBODY goes outside EVER during Minnesota winters? No. Does it mean that EVERY Minnesota winter is brutally cold? No. But the point I and some others were making is that we prefer a brutal summer because there is MORE vibrancy even on the hottest summer days, as evidenced by pedestrian counts in large cities. People for whatever reason can't accept this fact and continue making fact-free arguments about why this isn't the case.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Not every time needs to be vibrant lol I like that things get a little quiet in the winter. As an introvert, constant crowds are exhausting. Speaking of, me and my husband's ten year dating anniversary is next January and I am thinking a trip to NYC Sounds like a great time to visit. Subway stations should be a lot cooler lol
That's fine. You also have the option of avoiding crowds during summer. You can sit in your house and read a book on the 4th of July just as you could on New Year's Eve.

New York is always going to have crowds, but the best balance between smaller crowds and milder but not cold weather is probably late October to mid-November. My guess is that hotels are also cheaper around this time since you're getting into town before the holiday price gouging.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ask everyone from Texas if they prefer it over 100 or below zero. They have had both the last couple of years.
Or ask New Yorkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsW6bVme0_4

Old 07-30-2023, 05:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
There is one trail in Duluth that sees 748 pedestrians per day in July and only 3 in January. The places you're familiar with in the South must have 0 people outside because it's difficult to register fewer than 3 pedestrians per day.
Those are just trails. There's more outdoor activities like cross country country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating, etc. And their are parades like hollidazzle and winter carnivals. Most people down south really aren't that active and mostly live sedentary lives all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.